WDYT?

As noted in my username, I am a dancer. I’ve had several teachers over the years and I have come to be great friends with one of my teachers, [name]Tayla[/name]. I was thinking about her name the other day and realized I had never met anyone else with that name. It’s never seemed too different to me, probably because I’ve known her so long. But I understand that it may sound weird or made up to other people. She says that people often mishear and think her name is [name]Taylor[/name]. I probably wouldn’t use this name for myself, but I’m just wondering… What do you think of [name]Tayla[/name]?

It’s actually not weird to me. I’ve met about 3-4 little Taylas while teaching. It isn’t that far off of other similar names either (ie. [name]Kayla[/name], [name]Layla[/name], [name]Jayla[/name], [name]Taylor[/name], etc). I think most people would catch on after the first time of “oh, that’s a different name.” It’s not a name that I would use myself, but I don’t seen anything wrong or “too weird” about it.

There is a character on Stargate [name]Atlantis[/name] named [name]Teyla[/name]. She is from another planet… so I guess the writers thought it sounded made up. It’s not my favorite but I don’t really care for any of the “ayla” names.

My little brother would have been named that had he had female parts. I don’t like it though.

I can understand the appeal, being a [name]Layla[/name] lover myself, but I can’t bring myself to like it. It just sounds like saying [name]Taylor[/name] with a really weird accent.