wdyto Marjorie

I am on the fence really. Help me pick a side?

Hmmm, dated but almost fresh? It’s hard for me too. It’s a family name. I am sure it would be refreshing to meet one! But it kind of evokes some of the same notes to me as [name]Margot[/name] and [name]Marigold[/name], and I know I personally like those better. If you like them less, maybe that tells you you’re more positive about [name]Marjorie[/name]?

I love [name]Margot[/name] & [name]Marigold[/name]. I think [name]Marguerite[/name] is a touch dramatic for my tastes and I have just known too many Margarets & Maggies.

[name]Marjorie[/name] has a sparkley sound/feel to it that I don’t get from [name]Margot[/name] or [name]Marigold[/name] which have more quirkiness imo, but aren’t dazzling if that makes sense?

It’s a name that sounds old and dated to me, however also one that if I saw it today on a cute little girl I would be in love. It’s girly but not too frilly and I get a sort of “pretty” girl vibe actually. Is [name]Marjorie[/name] the only spelling?

I really like [name]Marjorie[/name]. I think it has a quirky, perky sound and a cheerful vintage vibe.

Nameberry lists a bunch of spelling variations, but I like [name]Marjorie[/name] best.

I even feel like [name]Margie[/name] would be cute as a nn on a cute little girl.

Does it sound too much like margarine?

[name]Marjorie[/name] is nice, but I love [name]Margot[/name] and [name]Rosalie[/name] even more!

I love the name [name]Marjorie[/name]! I agree that it is old, but I think it’s got a spunky happy vibe to it. I’m just not sure if I’m brave enough to use it/if my husband would let me. It’s on my list though, with the nn [name]Orie[/name], which I think makes it even more fun and unique. I prefere the [name]Marjorie[/name] to [name]Margery[/name] spelling for this reason.
My DH did say it sounded like margarine, but he that he liked it better than [name]Molly[/name], also on my list. Guys are so hard to figure out!

[name]Marjorie[/name] is my mom’s name!
So it’s just that to me, a mom name. It does feel dated, and my mom prefers her middle name, [name]Dawn[/name], over it.

I can’t get behind a new generation [name]Dawn[/name], its too 70’s to me!

Nameberry also listed [name]Marjolie[/name] which I think is stunning.

I love [name]Marjorie[/name]!

There was a contestant on Americas Next Too Model (cue mocking laughter) with that name and she was adorable.

I don’t like it, it’s a bit middle-aged for me, without being old enough to be darling.

[name]Marigold[/name] feels like [name]Marjorie[/name]'s mother to me, so I like [name]Marigold[/name] more (the 100 year cycle, I guess, and [name]Marjorie[/name]'s ticking at about 60…).

[name]Marguerite[/name] is amazing but a rather different feel, far less UK. I like the “daisy” meaning. [name]Margaux[/name] I like and feel is a “bit sparkly” in the Roaring Twenties sort of way and probably too dramatic too?

[name]Mairead[/name] is soft and UK and pretty, without being as everywhere as, say, [name]Megan[/name] (which I like, but is only about 20 years old cyclically, granddaughter of [name]Marigold[/name], lol…).

[name]Magnolia[/name] is gorgeous but not really related to [name]Margaret[/name], can I apply it anyhow? It sparkles a bit.

Great reply! Thank you.

[name]Margaux[/name] appeals to me.

It’s my late grandmother’s name, so it always seemed “old” to me. But everything old is new again!

I think that Margaery is the Middle Ages spelling/version.

I’m on the fence with [name]Marjorie[/name], but fully on board with [name]Margery[/name]. [name]Margot[/name] has long been my favourite [name]Margaret[/name] name- but [name]Margery[/name]'s getting up there! I think it’s delightful :slight_smile:

I love [name]Marjorie[/name]! It’s so plucky and cute. I think it would be unexpected and totally charming on a little one.

I also like the similar [name]Marjolie[/name] and [name]Marjolaine[/name], but neither sounds quite as down-to-earth and approachable as [name]Marjorie[/name].

@watermellie: [name]Ah[/name]! I love Margeurite as well!

My late great-aunt was named [name]Marjorie[/name]. I agree it has an “old” feeling, but at the same time, it doesn’t feel “dated” or “clunky”. A nice happy medium, if you ask me.

I love the book & movie The [name]Secret[/name] Lives of Alter Boys & The Talented Mr. [name]Ripley[/name]. [name]Both[/name] have [name]Marjorie[/name] in them

[name]Marjorie[/name] was my Grandmothers first name. She didn’t care for it and used her middle name. She told me kids made fun of her and called her Margarine (kinda like butter). She identified with her middle name more and opted to go for it almost all her life. I kinda like it, but plan to use her middle name in honor of her.