We can't choose a girls name that compliments long surname!

[name]Hi[/name], we
have pretty much whittled down our shortlist of boys names to one of these
[name]Rhett[/name]
[name]York[/name]
[name]Earl[/name]
[name]Sterling[/name]
so are pretty secure in choosing one of those, but when it comes to girls names we have gone round and round in circles.
We have a long double barrelled name that begins with H- first part, J the next.
Some names we like but cannot settle on are…
[name]Farah[/name]
[name]Delilah[/name]
Tien
[name]Lula[/name]
[name]Addison[/name]
But none of them seem to work…
Any thoughts, ideas, suggestions greatly appreciated:)

I love your boys list! The only one thats nms is [name]Earl[/name], which reminds me of the TV show “My Name is [name]Earl[/name]” but otherwise, great names! For girls names here are some that remind me of the names on your list, maybe something will strike you!

[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Sage[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Mercy[/name]
[name]Opal[/name]
[name]Maya[/name]/[name]Mia[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name]
[name]Eden[/name]
[name]Alma[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Lena[/name]
[name]Elsa[/name]
[name]Elodie[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Harper[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Mila[/name]
[name]Teagan[/name]
[name]Blithe[/name]

hope that helps!

[name]Hi[/name] from another Twinkle :slight_smile:

Of your suggestions, I find [name]Addison[/name] too popular (you may also like [name]Adele[/name], [name]Adelaide[/name] or [name]Adeline[/name]), I’m not sure how to pronounce Tien and I am not bowled over by [name]Farah[/name]. I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Delilah[/name], and think that [name]Lula[/name] is very sweet.

[name]How[/name] many syllables is your surname? I am afraid that [name]Delilah[/name] may be too long … Although if you nickname her most of the time, then I don’t think that it would be too much of a problem, if you really love the name. You may also like [name]Lily[/name], [name]Lila[/name] et cetera.

[name]Lula[/name] is sweet (as is [name]Lola[/name]), but I feel that it would work better as a nn. It could be a nn for [name]Lucy[/name] or [name]Louise[/name], both of which are short enough to work with a long surname, as is [name]Lucia[/name] when pronounced loo-sha.

[name]Eliza[/name] springs to mind, although it is three syllables.

Here are some more one and two syllable names :
[name]Blythe[/name]
[name]Pearl[/name]
[name]Opal[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]/a
[name]Isla[/name]
[name]Iris[/name]
[name]Isis[/name]
[name]Freya[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Lilac[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Camille[/name]
[name]Mathilde[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Claire[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Sora[/name]
[name]Tara[/name]
[name]Anya[/name]
[name]Thea[/name]
[name]June[/name]
[name]Juno[/name]
[name]Zara[/name]
[name]Niamh[/name]/[name]Neve[/name]
[name]Martha[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Poppy[/name]
[name]Flora[/name].

Good luck!

Pardon me for the shortest, most uncreative response ever but I have to throw it out there before I hit the sack. My maiden name is complex like yours it seems, and my name is [name]Sheridan[/name]. I never ever ever was called [name]Sheri[/name], but was occasionally called [name]Sher[/name] by my closest friends. So my suggestion is [name]Sheridan[/name] ;o) Nighty night!

[name]Hi[/name] all,
thanks for the input so far, there are definitely a few on there that we had not come up with.

From Twinkle to Twinkle,
I think you are right about [name]Addison[/name], becoming quite popular, hubby really likes it so that is why it is still on the list…
Tien is pronounced like you are saying the letters T,N
I too love [name]Delilah[/name] but am a little concerned it is too ‘old fashioned trendy’
I like [name]Lula[/name] as a nn but can’t find any longer names we like to have it as a nn.

Our surname is 3 syllables…

thanks again :slight_smile:

I like your boys’ style, too, and I see why it’s hard to decide for girls. I have the same sort of issue, reversed. That is, the styles of girls’ names I like don’t give a useful guide to boys’ names. For example, I favor different linguistic origins (Persian, French, Greek and Russian for girls; Scottish, Germanic and Scandinavian for boys).

In your case, the issue I see is, your boys’ names are British, with strong upper-class connotations, and as such feel old. A couple are also last names, and as such feel somewhat newer. However, giving the same sort of name to a girl isn’t necessarily the same style of naming at all.

Your boys’ names aren’t the ones that are coming back now. What’s something that’s either old but feels new or new but feels old*, and isn’t currently trendy?

*I remember saying that about [name]Avalon[/name] - anyone care to suggest names like that?

Some suggestions, sorry for the repeats

[name]Quinn[/name]
[name]Zoe[/name]
[name]Thalie[/name]
[name]Thea[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Harper[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name]
[name]Anna[/name]
[name]Neve[/name]
[name]Paige[/name]
[name]Jade[/name]
[name]Blythe[/name]

[name]Rhett[/name] is fantastic and [name]Earl[/name] has a lot of personal meaning to me! [name]Love[/name] the boys’ names! As for the girls, I like [name]Delilah[/name] and [name]Lula[/name] the best. [name]Lula[/name] is really sweet and original. If you are thinking of longer full names that [name]Lula[/name] could be a nn for, here are some ideas. Sorry for repeats!

[name]Louise[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]
[name]Luella[/name] ([name]Louella[/name])
Luette (Louette)
[name]Lucille[/name]
[name]Tallulah[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] this helps! :slight_smile:

Hello twinkle mark II!

I love [name]Rhett[/name]. I always think of that old smoothy [name]Rhett[/name] [name]Butler[/name]. Would you be using it as a full name or as a nn for [name]Everett[/name]?

[name]Everett[/name] [name]James[/name] is handsome but I think that [name]Rhett[/name] wins me over and I love the combo of [name]Rhett[/name] [name]William[/name].

I don’t think your other choices have the charisma of our friend from “Gone with the Wind”.

Now if [name]Rhett[/name] has a sister she needs a fabulous name with tons of flair and pizzazz, and that is where [name]Tallulah[/name] comes in.

[name]Rhett[/name] and [name]Tallulah[/name]. Her nn could be [name]Lula[/name] or [name]Lulu[/name].

Now if [name]Rhett[/name] has another sister I think that she must be [name]Adeline[/name].

[name]Adeline[/name] [name]Belle[/name], [name]Tallulah[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name] and [name]Rhett[/name] [name]William[/name].

[name]Addy[/name], [name]Lulu[/name] and [name]Rhett[/name].

[name]Hi[/name] again twinkle !

I am glad [name]Rhett[/name] is coming through as a contender, it is my personal favourite. Hubby doesn’t like the longer version of [name]Everett[/name] so I think it will be just [name]Rhett[/name]. I think it is strong enough to stand alone though.

I love , love , love [name]Tallulah[/name] and would definitely have had it as a choice, sadly I had a hamster called [name]Tallulah[/name] a while back and just can’t bring myself to do it! [name]Hence[/name] the [name]Lula[/name] idea, similar but not too close I think??!

Thanks for all the thoughts and ideas so far everyone… :slight_smile:

Twinkle II,

Have you considered using [name]Lula[/name] as a nickname? [name]Lula[/name] could work for [name]Louisa[/name]! Or, if you have a first name beginning with [name]LU[/name] and a middle name beginning with LA, [name]Lula[/name] is a natural choice!

For example, with a three-syllable surname (e.g., [name]Forrester[/name]), you could use [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Lane[/name] [name]Forrester[/name] “[name]Lula[/name]” or [name]Lucy[/name] [name]Lark[/name] [name]Forrester[/name] or [name]Louisa[/name] [name]Claire[/name] [name]Forrester[/name]!

[name]Lemon[/name] :slight_smile:

I think you have some lovely names picked out. I also love [name]Lula[/name] and second the suggestions that it could be a nick name for (especially [name]Talullah[/name] and [name]Lucy[/name]) Maybe I’m just nuts, but I don’t think three syllables is really all that long for a surname, so I guess I wouldn’t be too worried about that. Then again, we have a three syllable surname and gave our kids all very long first names complete with double middle names (one of them even has a hyphonated double first name)… They do all go by short and sweet nick names almost to the exclusion of their full names. I like a nice long poem of a name with a sweet little nickname.

I am so sorry that [name]Tallulah[/name] is out because it was the perfect match. Could you consider these instead?

[name]Thalia[/name]
[name]Magnolia[/name]
[name]Cecelia[/name]
[name]Belle[/name] or [name]Isabelle[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]

Doesn’t anybody like [name]Farah[/name]? It is SO beautiful. Classy, elegant, and not a mouthful either. This one must be on it’s way back.

Well the short list we had has now reverted to a long list!!
still in the running … what works best with the surname?
…well [name]Jones[/name]
[name]Farah[/name]
Otillia
[name]Delilah[/name]
Tien ( TN)
[name]Lulla[/name]
[name]Aubrey[/name]
[name]Raven[/name]
[name]Ayla[/name]
[name]Luella[/name]
[name]Tabitha[/name]
[name]Oriana[/name]