We finally agree on a name!

I’m due with our first baby, a girl, in 7 weeks. My husband and I have had a very hard time finding a name we both love. We have come up with:

[name]Alexandra[/name] [name]Grace[/name]

[name]Both[/name] of us think it’s a beautiful name and are only worried about a couple things. First of all do you think it’s possible to have her called [name]Alexandra[/name] or will she eventually become “[name]Alex[/name]”? Second this will be the 3rd grandchild in my husband’s family. The other two are named “[name]Allie[/name]” and “[name]Zander[/name]”. [name]Will[/name] it be too weird for his family if we add an “[name]Alexandra[/name]” to the mix? We live across the country from his niece and nephew and only see them once year or so. Please let me know what you think.

[name]Hi[/name]. Congratulations on your soon to be new arrival! I think [name]Alexandra[/name] [name]Grace[/name] is a beautiful, timeless and classy name. But yes, inevitably, she will end up as [name]Alex[/name], or [name]Ali[/name], [name]Lexy[/name] etc…As for the family names, I wouldn’t be put off, especially as you have had a hard time deciding! I have two nieces called [name]Nia[/name] and [name]Kira[/name], and seem to keep going for other names ending in the ‘ira’ sound, but if I truly truly loved it I would have to go for it, despite the comic value!! Good luck!

She will absolutely get a nn at some point in her life - esp. with a 4 syllable name. If you hate [name]Alex[/name] then be proactive and call her [name]Lexie[/name], or Dre (more normally a nn for [name]Andrea[/name] but still applicable).

If you insist on calling her [name]Alexandra[/name], then yes, family get-togethers that involve [name]Alex[/name] and [name]Zander[/name] will be challenging but how often do you see them/talk to them on the phone etc. etc. Are they very much in your life?