We have a name but what do you think of it?

My partner and i are currently pregnant

We have a baby boy’s name all picked out

But i think i’m starting to have doubts about it only because i don’t know how it’s going to be perceived

Honest opinions on it please?

We absolutely [name]ADORE[/name] the name ‘Copeland’

What do you think?

It’s very different, but not bad. Are you always going to call him by his full name, or any nicknames?

I think of [name]Stewart[/name] Copeland from the Police when I hear it.

I think of [name]Aaron[/name] Copland the composer.
The word “cope” is very prominent in the name Copeland. It sounds like he has to cope with something.

I like Copeland! Have any middle names picked out?
[name]Cole[/name], [name]Coe[/name], Cope, [name]Coop[/name], [name]Land[/name] are some options for nicknames if you or others chose to use one (especially good for future siblings and cousins)

Kirkland, [name]Courtland[/name]/[name]Cortland[/name], Coleborn are similar names that people might not find as unusual. However it is your son and you should name him whatever you want. Personally I think it is a strong name. And pretty unique. It might be hard to find another Copeland in classroom at school

In a world full of stress the word cope is very much a word that describes what most of us are trying to do in our lives.

I feel that the name Copeland would add stress to a child’s life because it may be a source of teasing.

I urge caution before using Copeland as a first name for your child.

While I am a fan of surnames as fn, I do not really like Copeland as a fn. It is a strong name but also seems heavy. I don’t know of anyone with fn Copeland, so I think it would be unique! However, it is a name one might feel “saddled” with in life.

+points for unique and strong.

• points for heavy.

I think it’s a cool name. I like [name]Coe[/name] as a nickname, if you want to have one. For me, [name]Stewart[/name] and [name]Aaron[/name] Copeland are both positive connotations :slight_smile:

I love its uniqueness, but I do agree with the other posters that it might be a little much for a kid to bear. However, I think it would be lovely as a middle name!

I like Copeland. :slight_smile: With my accent, the D at the end is barely there, and it ends up sounding like “Copelan” – like [name]Aidan[/name] or any other name ending in -an sound. But it sounds perfectly handsome to me no matter how it’s said. A unique but strong choice, in my very humble opinion!

You might want to go with a more usual middle name to fall back on, though, just in case (though I don’t think a boy with this name would have any more trouble than a girl named [name]Faith[/name] or [name]Hope[/name]).

I love it!! And like others have pointed out, there are some great nick name choices. I say if you love it, go for it!

I love it!

I also think of the composer [name]Aaron[/name] Copland (pronounced the name as Copeland), or “the dean of American composers!” His music is beautiful, so of course it has strong positive associations for me!

Fanfare for the Common [name]Man[/name], Appalachian [name]Spring[/name] and Rodeo are probably his most popular/familiar works.

Good luck!

I also think of the beautiful, sweeping music of [name]Aaron[/name] Copland. As a fn, I’m truly undecided! I do see the other posters’ point about the “cope” part of the name. But because I love the composer, I have positive associations with his name. If you love it, I say use it. But for me personally, I would probably keep it in the middle name slot.

I don’t really see any issues with it, I don’t know why a boy named Copeland wouldn’t like his name any more than anybody else who doesn’t like their name for whatever reason. I think the nickname [name]Coe[/name] is great! And above all, I think if you [name]LOVE[/name] the name, it’s the name you should use!