We have our names!

This is probably going to sound like a ridiculous solution to most, but we think that it works for us.

1. We have been struggling on our twin girls names. We had names picked out that we loved, but I started to feel like something was missing from them.

2. We were recently granted custody of my husband’s cousin’s son, after his father passed away unexpectedly.

Someone has posted about how would we symbolize [name]Henry[/name] (the little boy) entering our family with the twin’s birth. We want more than anything for [name]Henry[/name] to feel wanted, loved and a part of our family, but we do not want to take his father’s memory away from him at all. In the next two months we will be officially adopting him. Let me make this shorter. When we adopt [name]Henry[/name], we are going to add [name]James[/name] (his father’s name) to his name. He will then be [name]Henry[/name] [name]James[/name] [name]Louis[/name]. We asked him first if he liked that idea and he was extremely excited to have his father’s name.

With [name]Henry[/name] having 3 names, we would have to give [name]Dottie[/name] a 3rd name. We strategically let her “pick” her name - after all she isnt 3 yet. So strategically we let her pick out [name]Annelise[/name]. She picked it out and thats the story we are sticking to. She does like the musical [name]Annie[/name], so we told her that she would now have THREE names from movies! So she will be [name]Dorothy[/name] [name]Annelise[/name] [name]Violet[/name]. Which to be honest, is long, but flows better. So now, she gets 2 sisters plus an extra name.

That leaves us to the twins:
[name]Matilda[/name] [name]Adelaide[/name] [name]Rosemary[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Lavender[/name]

Yes. We realize that they are long. We are thinking that the [name]Rosemary[/name] and [name]Lavender[/name] can be officially on their birth certificate, but they can just use [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Adelaide[/name] and [name]Eloise[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name] in school. Or whatever they want to do.

P.S. We counted. [name]Matilda[/name] [name]Adelaide[/name] [name]Rosemary[/name] and [name]Eloise[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Lavender[/name] have the exact same number of letters. Not that this was a deciding factor, just a happy coincidence - but a plus when you have twins. [name]Dorothy[/name]'s new name is only shy one letter.

I love your decision and definitely do not think it is ridiculous! I think all the names are beautiful and symbolic. The twins will have the original names that you decided on, plus now all the girls have a botanical mn to fit together and you have found a way to use almost every name that you love. And most importantly, you have found such an amazing way to symbolize how your family has grown and changed so suddenly.

And giving [name]Henry[/name] his father’s name is just about the BEST idea ever. I am actually crying right now because this is so touching and special.

This is such an amazing story and you have FOUR wonderful names that are tied into it.

[name]Henry[/name] [name]James[/name] [name]Louis[/name]
[name]Dorothy[/name] [name]Annelise[/name] [name]Violet[/name]

[name]Just[/name] Perfect!

I plan to adopt and have all my children have three names, so that sounds like a great solution! I’m glad [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Dottie[/name] are excited about it.

I hope it becomes a very special family memory when you make it ‘official’ for [name]Henry[/name] and adopt him. It can be very important for the future when older kids are adopted, it’s a proof positive in the harder times how much he’s loved not just different. Take lots of pictures!

[name]Love[/name] your plan. All the names are great. So happy for [name]Henry[/name] that he will have his father’s name [name]James[/name]!

Wonderful!

I was just wondering about the issue of last names …
[name]Will[/name] [name]Henry[/name] be getting a new last name when you adopt him? Or does his last name stay the same? Since he’s related to your husband, he might already have the same last name as you. Otherwise, if his last name gets changed, then he gets his father’s name to help carry on his memory of his connection to his biological parents. That was a great idea.

What a happy ending. Best wishes to all of you.

Thank you so much for the positive comments. We really thought we would hear how long the names are. [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Dottie[/name] are excited. I could tell [name]Dottie[/name] was getting tired of my husband and me talking about the baby names, so now its fun again because she gets a name too! [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Dottie[/name] were excited enough to call their grandparents about their new names.

[name]Henry[/name] is happy, [name]Dottie[/name] is happy, my husband is happy, I am happy, my mom, sister, [name]MIL[/name], [name]SIL[/name], [name]Henry[/name]'s grandparents… all happy! I feel the most ‘at peace’ I have felt in a long time.

We will make a big deal about [name]Henry[/name]'s adoption. We really feel that once the twins arrive, we really will feel complete as a family. It”s a good feeling. :slight_smile:

[name]Henry[/name] has the same last name. [name]James[/name] and my husband share the same paternal grandparents.

I’m so excited to hear that you were awarded custody! And that is really beautiful that you are giving [name]Henry[/name] his father’s name… wow. What an amazing bunch of people you are. I wish you all the best and I hope that your transition into your “new” life goes smoothly.

WOW. I think that all the names are amazing!!! [name]Henry[/name] getting his fathers name, [name]Dottie[/name] getting another name - [name]Dorothy[/name] [name]Annelise[/name] [name]Violet[/name] sounds very nice. I like the twins names too. [name]Matilda[/name] and [name]Eloise[/name] sound so good together and [name]Charlotte[/name] and [name]Adelaide[/name] are great together because they have that same oldness to them and they are both places. [name]Rosemary[/name] and [name]Lavender[/name] are perfect together too! You should plant some [name]Rosemary[/name], [name]Lavender[/name] and Violets in the spring for your girls. That would be really sweet. Congratulations!

What a beautiful idea for [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Dottie[/name] to add another name to their names. Such a touching and special gesture to add [name]Henry[/name]‘s Dad’s name to his name and for [name]Dottie[/name] to welcome the twins by “choosing” a new name for herself as well.
The names you’ve decided on for your girls sound absolutely lovely. Take care and look forward to hearing the news of the twins’ arrival.

I am SO [name]HAPPY[/name] for you! What a wonderful family you all are, and all your children are named so beautifully.

What a brilliant idea to give [name]Henry[/name] his father’s name and to let [name]Dottie[/name] pick a name too.

I am so excited for you, and it is a great feeling to have that peace surrounding you.

Now we await the big event - the arrival of the twins, can’t wait to hear all about them in due course.

I hope that those dogs have settled down a bit.

God Bless

I just wanted to tell you how much your story has warmed my heart.
What lovely, perfect names.
Congrats and best to you and your new family.

You have picked such amazing names, I don’t dislike any even in the slightest bit :slight_smile: I would love to have any of those names. Your children are all so lucky, not only to all of gorgeous names but to have a mother who puts so much thought into everything. I have lot of respect for you which feels funny since we have never even met but your whole story has been so moving and you seem to have done everything in the best way possible. good luck and best wishes with the future :slight_smile:

It sounds like you’ve come up with the perfect solution! Well done:)

[name]Henry[/name] [name]James[/name] [name]Louis[/name]
[name]Dorothy[/name] [name]Annalise[/name] [name]Violet[/name]

They are all such beautiful names and you’ve put so much thought and energy into them that they have so much meaning now. I think you’ve done a great job, and not just with the names:) You must be so excited for the twins to arrive! Congrats and good luck with everything:) x

Woo-hoo!!! This is so exciting! I [name]LOVE[/name] your plan so much, and I think it’s so wonderful that [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Dottie[/name] are getting new names, too. I love it how [name]Dottie[/name] “picked” her middle name! :slight_smile: I adore [name]Henry[/name] [name]James[/name] [name]Louis[/name] and [name]Dorothy[/name] [name]Annelise[/name] [name]Violet[/name]!

[name]Matilda[/name] [name]Adelaide[/name] [name]Rosemary[/name] and [name]Eloise[/name] [name]Charlotte[/name] [name]Lavender[/name] are fantastic (I was rooting for [name]Matilda[/name] and [name]Eloise[/name]!), and for what it’s worth, I love long names! :slight_smile:

I’m so happy you found a way to use all of your favorite names in such a meaningful way. :slight_smile:

[name]Henry[/name], [name]Dorothy[/name], [name]Matilda[/name], and [name]Eloise[/name]? All I have to say is “WOW!”
:slight_smile:

(I’m sending you your virtual Naming Olympics gold medal momentarily.)

Have a great day! :slight_smile:

So, I had to share this with you. My daughter’s favorite lullaby is [name]Lavender[/name] [name]Blue[/name] and I was singing it to her this morning. Well, I realized how perfect the song is for your twins!

It starts out:

[name]Lavender[/name]'s [name]Blue[/name], [name]Dilly[/name], [name]Dilly[/name], [name]Rosemary[/name]'s [name]Green[/name]
When I am [name]King[/name], [name]Dilly[/name], [name]Dilly[/name], you shall be [name]Queen[/name]

So that provides a special “twin” link for their second middle names.

I love the idea of a garden. The thing is that you do not want to exclude [name]Henry[/name], so it is a stretch, but you could plant lilies for him.

The fleur de lis can be tied to the name [name]Louis[/name]. Several of the French Kings by that name adopted the fleur de lis as their emblems and the symbol is also associated with French settled provinces, including [name]Louisiana[/name] and [name]St[/name]. [name]Louis[/name]. The fleur de lis is a stylized lily and means 'flower of [name]Lily[/name]." So, while it is a stretch, you could probably use the [name]Lily[/name] to incorporate [name]Louis[/name] into the botanical theme of the second middle names, if you wanted.

What a wonderful solution all around–especially because [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Dottie[/name] can be excited about their own new names in addition to the new babies. I can’t believe you managed to find a solution that pleases you, DH, [name]Henry[/name] and [name]Dottie[/name] PLUS all the extended family and in-laws. That has got to be a relief (and rare, I would think!). AND you found a terrific way to include all the names you love. Your children are very lucky to have such wonderful, thoughful and lovely names! [name]Henry[/name], [name]Dorothy[/name], [name]Matilda[/name] and [name]Eloise[/name] - what a family!

Y’all are so sweet. Thanks so much for the kind kind words. I really have appreciated all of your emotional support during this time. The more we think about this idea, the more we fall in love with it.

My husband has been on my laptop all day looking up songs that have the kids names in them. We haven’t found anything with [name]Henry[/name], [name]James[/name] or [name]Louis[/name] in them, unless Meet Me in [name]St[/name]. [name]Louis[/name], but what boy wants that? I guess they don’t sing about boys as much as girls.

[name]Dorothy[/name] has the whole score of [name]Wizard[/name] of [name]Oz[/name] (mostly because we can’t find any good songs with [name]Dorothy[/name] in them), [name]Annelise[/name] - nothing, [name]Violet[/name] - Coldplay - [name]Violet[/name] [name]Hill[/name].

[name]Matilda[/name] - Waltzing [name]Matilda[/name] (which [name]Dottie[/name] thinks is the most amazing song ever), [name]Adelaide[/name] - nothing yet, [name]Rosemary[/name] - [name]Love[/name] Grows Where My [name]Rosemary[/name] Goes (aww).
[name]Eloise[/name] - Dear [name]Eloise[/name], [name]Charlotte[/name] - nothing yet, [name]Lavender[/name] - [name]Lavender[/name]'s [name]Blue[/name] (great suggestion! My grandma used to sing that to us!! brought tears to my eyes when I remembered.)

The dogs are nuts. The kids make them nuttier by chasing them around. I am not sure what we are going to do about this. Especially since its about to get colder and we can’t keep them outside.

That is a [name]LOVELY[/name] idea of planting a garden. I love it. We will definitely have to do that. [name]Lilies[/name] are a great idea to include [name]Henry[/name]. [name]Even[/name] as my husband says, boys don’t get excited about flowers like girls do, I still like the gesture.

[name]Dottie[/name] wants me to call her “Annaweese” for today. I think that the entire family is onboard with all the names, because I have a feeling that they are going to use the one they like the most. Which is confusing but, I guess I won’t mind too much, since I like them all so much.