We have to pick a different first name...

We had choosen [name_f]Luna[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u] for our daughter but we welcomed a new cousin into the world and she was named [name_f]Luna[/name_f]. (We hadn’t annouced our name so no hard feelings) but now we are in the market for a new first name. We would like to keep [name_u]Valentine[/name_u] for the middle name.

We like romantic, feminine, names, nothing unisex. Not fond of any of the super popular [name_f]El[/name_f]- names or [name_f]Bella[/name_f] names.
I wouldnt mind something southern belle souding, as long as it can’t be shortened to [name_f]Bella[/name_f]. (There are just so many in our area.)
I would love the name have cute nickname options as well.

Not a fan of: [name_f]Penelope[/name_f], [name_f]Ophelia[/name_f], or [name_f]Scarlet[/name_f] (just a few off the top of my head that have been suggested by family or friends)

If you have endured reading all my criteria and made suggestions, thank you in advance, it is very appreciated.

Hmm. I’m going to rattle off some names that come to mind with [name_f]Luna[/name_f] / southern things (saying you don’t mind something is kinda saying you like it?)

[name_f]Naomi[/name_f]
[name_m]Chancey[/name_m]
[name_f]Lacey[/name_f]
[name_f]Emmeline[/name_f]
[name_f]Helena[/name_f]
Caliope
[name_u]Joyce[/name_u]
[name_f]Leandra[/name_f]
[name_f]Blythe[/name_f]
[name_f]Bridget[/name_f]
[name_f]Amelie[/name_f]
[name_f]Breanne[/name_f]
[name_f]Louisa[/name_f]
[name_u]Marion[/name_u]
[name_f]Cecilia[/name_f]
[name_f]Thea[/name_f]
[name_f]Thalia[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]
[name_f]Mallory[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f]
[name_f]Roselyn[/name_f]
[name_u]Cassady[/name_u] (Casady, [name_u]Cassidy[/name_u]…)
[name_f]Alethea[/name_f]
[name_f]Bethany[/name_f]

Or maybe just a shotgun approach.

I [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]. It goes so nicely with everything.

My first thought was [name_f]Lyra[/name_f]. More ideas:

[name_f]Alice[/name_f]
[name_f]Octavia[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f]
[name_f]Marcella[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvia[/name_f]
[name_f]Camilla[/name_f]
[name_f]Gemma[/name_f]
[name_f]Antonia[/name_f]
[name_u]Ruby[/name_u]
[name_f]Lorelei[/name_f]
[name_f]Charlotte[/name_f]
[name_f]Althea[/name_f]
[name_f]Tessa[/name_f]
[name_f]Junia[/name_f]
[name_f]Maren[/name_f]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f]
[name_f]Linnea[/name_f]
[name_f]Ada[/name_f]
[name_f]Laura[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]

Yes :slight_smile:” Something southern would be nice but not a must. My husband rather likes [name_f]Edie[/name_f] but I am my sold the more I hear that it sounds like a nickname from friends and family, And I am not a fan of names to get to [name_f]Edie[/name_f].

Thank you for the suggestions. None of them appeal to me :frowning:

What other names do you like / can’t use / won’t use (why?) / feel are close to your style?

The first thing I thought of for you was [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]. It sounds very vintage and definitely southern. [name_f]Magnolia[/name_f] also lends itself to several precious nicknames: [name_f]Nola[/name_f], [name_f]Lola[/name_f], or [name_f]Lia[/name_f] being my personal favs.

Other options that feel feminine and southern are:
[name_f]Cordelia[/name_f] or [name_f]Coralie[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u] nn [name_f]Cora[/name_f]
[name_f]Daisy[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]
[name_f]Georgia[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u] nn [name_f]Gigi[/name_f], [name_f]Gia[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilah[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]
[name_f]Pearl[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]
[name_f]Susannah[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u] nn [name_f]Susie[/name_f] or [name_f]Zuzu[/name_f] (like the little girl from It’s A Wonderful Life)

[name_f]Lyra[/name_f]! [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u] is cute!

There’s also Lusine (loo-see-neh), it’s the Armenian word for moon.

[name_m]Just[/name_m] a few suggestions you might like or pull inspiration from…

[name_f]Poppy[/name_f]
[name_f]Linnea[/name_f]
[name_f]Blythe[/name_f]
[name_f]Iris[/name_f]
[name_u]Bellamy[/name_u]
[name_f]Fern[/name_f]
[name_f]Isadora[/name_f]
[name_f]Briar[/name_f]
[name_f]Rosalie[/name_f]
[name_f]Saskia[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Anneliese[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrix[/name_f]
[name_f]Eve[/name_f]
[name_f]Carys[/name_f]
[name_f]Willa[/name_f]
[name_f]Opal[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Sarai[/name_f]
[name_f]Jessamy[/name_f]

I have to second the suggestion of [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]. So pretty!!! [name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Linnea[/name_f]? [name_f]Linnea[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]?

@lovelyday, I’m sorry, how disappointing that must have been for you! Almost happened to us with my daughter’s name but luckily the friend in question used [name_f]Juno[/name_f] as a middle so we still went for it as our daughter’s first. It’s the only problem with not announcing your name choice until the baby is born.

I love [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] but I think it’s a bit close to [name_f]Luna[/name_f] when the babies will be born so close together.

Other suggestions:

[name_f]Cassia[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
[name_f]Junia[/name_f]
[name_f]Cleo[/name_f]
[name_f]Isla[/name_f]
[name_f]Alba[/name_f]
[name_u]Jesse[/name_u]
[name_f]Nora[/name_f]
[name_f]Thea[/name_f]
[name_f]Pippa[/name_f]
[name_f]Eliza[/name_f]
[name_f]Anya[/name_f]
[name_f]Liv[/name_f]
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]
[name_f]Gaia[/name_f]
[name_f]Juliet[/name_f]
[name_f]Zosia[/name_f]
[name_f]Helena[/name_f]
[name_f]Susannah[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]
[name_f]Zinnia[/name_f]
[name_f]Noor[/name_f]
[name_f]Aurora[/name_f]
[name_f]Minerva[/name_f]
[name_u]Caro[/name_u]
[name_f]Lucia[/name_f]

[name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u], nickname [name_f]Lulu[/name_f]?

Maybe _______ [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]:
[name_f]Delia[/name_f], [name_f]Jessamine[/name_f], [name_f]Geneva[/name_f], [name_f]Adelia[/name_f], [name_f]Elara[/name_f], [name_f]Cora[/name_f], [name_f]May[/name_f], [name_f]Fay[/name_f], [name_f]Louisa[/name_f], [name_f]Allegra[/name_f], [name_f]Tilly[/name_f], [name_f]Catalina[/name_f], [name_f]Selene[/name_f], [name_f]Selena[/name_f], [name_f]Serena[/name_f], [name_f]Viola[/name_f], [name_f]Diana[/name_f], [name_f]Juliana[/name_f], [name_f]Fabiana[/name_f], [name_f]Viviana[/name_f], [name_f]Minette[/name_f], [name_f]Elise[/name_f], [name_u]Eloise[/name_u], [name_f]Rosanna[/name_f], [name_f]Annabelle[/name_f], [name_f]Giselle[/name_f], [name_f]Edie[/name_f], [name_f]Franny[/name_f], [name_f]Francesca[/name_f], [name_f]Maggie[/name_f], [name_f]Nola[/name_f], [name_f]Una[/name_f], [name_f]Rosie[/name_f], [name_f]Willa[/name_f], [name_f]Felicity[/name_f], [name_f]Lucinda[/name_f] (nn [name_f]Luna[/name_f]??), [name_f]Elodie[/name_f], [name_f]Vevina[/name_f], [name_f]Ada[/name_f], [name_f]Alma[/name_f], [name_f]Alba[/name_f], [name_f]Celia[/name_f], [name_f]Clara[/name_f], [name_f]Georgina[/name_f], [name_f]Romilly[/name_f], [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], [name_f]Mariana[/name_f], [name_f]Lucina[/name_f], [name_f]Delphina[/name_f], [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Nina[/name_f], [name_f]Daphne[/name_f], [name_f]Lelia[/name_f], [name_f]Lalia[/name_f], [name_f]Pippa[/name_f], [name_f]Cecile[/name_f], [name_f]Helena[/name_f], [name_f]Maeva[/name_f], [name_f]Petra[/name_f], [name_u]Romy[/name_u], [name_f]Posy[/name_f], [name_f]Eliza[/name_f], [name_f]Elsie[/name_f], [name_f]Adelaide[/name_f], [name_f]Mabel[/name_f], [name_f]Adelie[/name_f].

[name_f]Juliet[/name_f], [name_f]Caia[/name_f], [name_f]Aria[/name_f], [name_f]Mila[/name_f], [name_f]Ivy[/name_f], [name_f]Maya[/name_f], [name_f]Lily[/name_f], [name_f]Liana[/name_f], [name_f]Faye[/name_f], [name_f]Sadie[/name_f], [name_f]Phoebe[/name_f], [name_f]Eve[/name_f], [name_f]Delilah[/name_f], [name_f]Cleo[/name_f]

I think we need to sit down and decide what style we have. We just agreed on [name_f]Luna[/name_f] so quickly I guess it never was a question. All these beautiful (and appreciated) suggestions and nothing seems right. [name_f]Lyra[/name_f] and [name_f]Linnea[/name_f]… I dislike both.

I like [name_f]Deliah[/name_f] but it is very popular.
Same with [name_f]Scarlet[/name_f]. I love it but won’t use it due to popularity.
[name_f]Luna[/name_f] was too popular for us really (but she was being named after [name_f]Luna[/name_f] Lovegood… really. Loved that Character.)

PS: We also like Esme, but no one pronounces it correctly. People here say Ez-ME

Sorry that happened to you! Also sorry for any repeats… Here’s some you make like because of meaning or sound…

[name_f]Maeve[/name_f]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f]
[name_f]Sylvie[/name_f]
[name_f]Althea[/name_f]

‘[name_f]Moon[/name_f]’ related names
[name_f]Celeste[/name_f]
[name_f]Selena[/name_f]
[name_u]Vesper[/name_u]

Thoughts on [name_f]Carolina[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]? Is it too long?

My first thought was [name_f]Stella[/name_f]. [name_f]Stella[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u] is so pretty.

Other suggestions:

[name_f]Lydia[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]
[name_f]Justine[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]
[name_f]Sabina[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]
[name_f]Ismay[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]
[name_f]Camilla[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]
[name_f]Tenley[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]
[name_f]Naomi[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]

Maybe you would like…

[name_f]Dinah[/name_f]
[name_f]Juni[/name_f]/[name_f]Juno[/name_f]/[name_u]Juniper[/name_u]

Since you loved [name_f]Luna[/name_f] because of [name_f]Luna[/name_f] Lovegood, are there other female [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] characters you like enough to name a daughter after?

[name_f]Rowena[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]
[name_f]Helena[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]
[name_f]Hermione[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]
[name_f]Molly[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]
[name_f]Lily[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]
[name_f]Fleur[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]

(I’m on the fence about [name_f]Ginevra[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u] and [name_f]Minerva[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]… Seems a little heavy on the “v” sound.)

And just some suggestions that seem similar to [name_f]Luna[/name_f] in style:

[name_f]Aria[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]
[name_f]Rosa[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]
[name_f]Daphne[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]
[name_f]Serena[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]
[name_f]Phoebe[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]
[name_f]Lorelei[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]
[name_f]Fiona[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]
[name_f]Paloma[/name_f] [name_u]Valentine[/name_u]

No - Not a crazy [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] fan, just really thought [name_f]Luna[/name_f] was charming and I associated [name_f]Luna[/name_f] with [name_f]Luna[/name_f] Lovegood ever since.