We love unique names... what do you think of this one?

Hubby and I have been tossing around a few names for awhile, and Nameberry has been so helpful to us! We really want a unique name that is different from all the rest, and we have come up with the name of [name]Bravery[/name] [name]Memphis[/name] [name]Leland[/name] B. [name]Bravery[/name] is the first name, nn Brave, and [name]Memphis[/name] [name]Leland[/name] are the middle names. “B” is the initial of our last name. Thanks for your help and suggestions! :smiley:

~[name]Ashleigh[/name]

This is for our son, btw.

[name]Hi[/name] [name]Ashleigh[/name]

[name]Bravery[/name] would be an extremely bold and unique choice but one of its most unusual traits is that it is a verb not a noun eg [name]River[/name], [name]Phoenix[/name] etc (THANKS everyone for correcting me, I agree it is a noun, if only I had had my morning coffee before I got into grammar ha ha) :smiley:

It would also make me think that the family has an American [name]Indian[/name] heritage, if this is the case that is great but my twist on this name is to offer you a large selection of names that mean brave.

[name]Allard[/name] … “[name]Noble[/name] and brave.”
[name]Archibald[/name] … “Genuine, bold, brave.”
Averett … “Brave, strong boar.”
Balder … Here, “bald” does not mean “hairless”, but “brave”
Baldric … “Brave ruler.” [name]Bald[/name]" means “brave”, while “ric”
[name]Baldwin[/name] … “Bold, brave friend.”
[name]Ballard[/name] … “Brave and strong; round-shaped.”
[name]Basil[/name] … the name means “brave” …
[name]Bernard[/name] … “Strong, brave bear.”
[name]Conrad[/name] … “Brave, bold ruler or counsel.”
[name]Cort[/name] … “Courtier, court attendant; brave.”
[name]Dustin[/name] … “Brave warrior; dusty area.”
[name]Eberhard[/name] … “Brave, strong boar.”
Eckhard … “Brave edge or point.”
[name]Everard[/name] … “Brave, strong boar.”
[name]Everett[/name] … “Brave, strong boar.”
[name]Farley[/name] … meaning “brave man”
[name]Fergall[/name] … “Brave, manly.”
Frick … “Brave man.”
Gaillard … “Brave, cheerful, spirited.”

[name]Garrard[/name] … “Spear-hard; spear-brave.”
[name]Gerard[/name] … “Spear brave.”
[name]Gifford[/name] … “Brave giver; puffy-faced.”
[name]Hardy[/name] … “Bold, brave.”
[name]Hart[/name] … “Strong, brave; stag.”
[name]Jarrett[/name] Variant and surname form of [name]Garrett[/name] (Old English) “spear-brave”.
[name]Kenelm[/name] … “Brave helmet.”
[name]Kennard[/name] … “Brave guard.”
Kenward … “Brave or royal guardian.”
Kenway … “Brave or royal fighter.”
[name]Leopold[/name] … “Brave people.”
[name]Maynard[/name] … “Brave or hard strength.”
[name]Meinhard[/name] … “Brave or hard strength.”
Modred … “Brave counselor.”
[name]Prewitt[/name] … “Brave little one.”
[name]Rainart[/name] … “Brave counsel.”
[name]Tamerlane[/name] … He was described as an intelligent and brave man
[name]Theobald[/name] … “Brave people.”
[name]Tyr[/name] … Name of an Ancient Norse god that was the most brave and bold out of the warlike ones.

I wonder if you are interested in this line of thinking? Honestly, I feel it may set your son up for some teasing, when you can give him a name that means the same and doesn’t have teasing potential.

Combo [name]Dustin[/name] [name]Memphis[/name] [name]Leland[/name]

regards,

rollo :slight_smile:

by rollo ” Mon Jul 25, 2011 6:21 pm
Hi Ashleigh

Bravery would be an extremely bold and unique choice but one of its most unusual traits is that it is a verb not a noun eg River, Phoenix etc

I have to respectfully disagree. [name]Bravery[/name] is a noun, but it’s more of a virtue name than the examples mentioned. Think [name]Temperance[/name], [name]Prudence[/name], etc.

It’s a bit out there for my tastes, but after letting it sink in for a bit, I quite like it. [name]Bravery[/name] might be a lot for a boy to live up to, and virtue names don’t seem as common for boys, but if a girl can be [name]Liberty[/name], why not [name]Bravery[/name] for a boy.

Actually, bravery is a noun, isn’t it?.. It’s something you have. You have bravery, courage, etc. It would be an adjective if you say that person is “brave”. And I don’t believe it can ever be a verb.

[name]Just[/name] throwing that out there.

That being said, it’s not my style, but if you love it, use it. If I were to use it, though, I would put it in a middle name spot. I don’t hate the name, by any means. I could actually see someone with the middle name [name]Bravery[/name]. (it’s not that different from [name]Avery[/name], really)

I think it’s ok. Not really my style, but not horrible either. Have you considered [name]Valor[/name] instead of [name]Bravery[/name]? I’ve always thought that would make an interesting name on a boy.

I like it, it’s unique and not madly spelled or too wacky. It is a big name for a kid to carry though, but it might be a name that a child grows into in a good way.
I think I like [name]Valor[/name] better though, it just has a really cool sound to it.

[name]Bravery[/name] is an extremely hard name for a kid to carry. I think you would be asking a little too much of him. Why not put [name]Bravery[/name] in the middle and bring [name]Leland[/name] or [name]Memphis[/name] to the front? [name]Leland[/name] [name]Bravery[/name] [name]Memphis[/name] sounds better to me.

I actually think [name]Bravery[/name] is a cool name for a kid, but not as much for an adult. Chances are, he won’t be a super hero so that leaves an accountant, salesperson, teacher, doctor, newscaster, janitor, grocery store clerk, dentist, etc, etc, etc named [name]Bravery[/name]. I really can’t imagine taking any of my coworkers seriously if I pretend they’re named [name]Bravery[/name]. It just doesn’t seem like a real name to me when I picture it on an adult.

I must say, after reading everyones comments, the name “[name]Bravery[/name]” just started to look like a regular name to me. At first, I wasn’t a fan. However, after seeing the name in type over and over again, it’s growing on me. It is a lot to live up to, but the sound of the word is nice and it has an obviously great meaning. Brave is a nice nn, easy to say and spell.

For people who know your son, “[name]Bravery[/name]” will be come just a name - like any other. Yes, he may get teased for it, but most kids will get teased for something. If as an adult, he doesn’t want to use it professionally, you’ve given him 2 middle names to pick from. I know a handful of professionals who go by first initial, middle name, last name (B. [name]Memphis[/name] B.)

It isn’t my style, but I love it when people use names that aren’t my style!

I think the novelty of [name]Bravery[/name] would wear off as the child got older. I really appreciate different and distinct names, but an adult named [name]Bravery[/name] just seems slightly cartoonish to me. I do think it would be brilliant in the middle though, or if you used a name that meant [name]Bravery[/name], a lot were suggested by a pp.

I would go with a name that meant bravery, rather than actually naming a child [name]Bravery[/name]. [name]Bravery[/name] as a first name just seems silly to me.

To go against the grain here. I would actually use the name [name]Bravery[/name]. Its strong and easy to say. I would rather be [name]Bravery[/name] than Frick anyday.

I [name]LOVE[/name] this name. The whole shebang. [name]Leland[/name] would be on our list if it didn’t clash with my last name, and I’m so glad to see someone else considering it. I don’t think [name]Bravery[/name] (or Brave) is too difficult a name to carry. It’s familiar and sounds distinctly name-y to me, possibly given that [name]Avery[/name] is well-established and gaining popularity. Go for it!

I like it, its unique and I love the nickname brave!

I think [name]Bravery[/name] is unique and interesting and I actually quite like it. I also really like [name]Memphis[/name] and [name]Leland[/name]. But I think bravery [name]Memphis[/name] [name]Leland[/name] is a really big, really long name. It just seems a bit much. Maybe only one middle name. Or either [name]Memphis[/name] or [name]Leland[/name] with something a bit shorter/less “out there”?

love that idea but i am partial to leland.

Bravery is a wonderful quality, but I think it might be a bit much as a fn, particularly when combined with a B- last name. “Bravery B-” is verging on over-the-top and cartoonish. It would make an awesome middle name, though. I like Memphis Bravery Leland quite a bit.

Oh, and as to the verb or noun question, bravery is a noun. Brave is a bit of a chameleon. It’s a noun, an adjective, and a verb (as in “brave the elements”) depending on how it’s used.

ETA: I’d also like Memphis Leland Brave. That’s just cool.

[name]Love[/name] [name]Bravery[/name]

Sorry but I would use [name]Bravery[/name] in the middle name spot. It sounds cool but I wouldn’t want my child to have such pressure put on him from day one. What if by nature he’s more gentle, sensitive and prone to tears when yelled at? A boy named Bravery may be singled out by bullies in the school just to prove a point as well. Kids are cruel for strange reasons. Of all your names, I think [name]Leland[/name] is the best. [name]Leland[/name] [name]Memphis[/name] [name]Bravery[/name] or [name]Leland[/name] Brave [name]Memphis[/name] would be wonderful.