We STILL can not settle on a girls name!

Hello everyone, we still can not decide on a girls name! We have had a boy name chosen for almost a month now ([name_m]William[/name_m] [name_u]Kye[/name_u]) but despite constant conversation, we just can not agree on a girls name. Perhaps because there are just so many options!

[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f]: Someone on my last thread suggested this as an alternative to [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f] (which we figured was a little to child like for when she got older) , I love it. However, we wouldn’t be calling her [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] and would still want her to be called [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] at school etc. Is this an issue? Would it still say [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] on the register? Any help with this one appreciated!

Our other options as of now :slight_smile:

[name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] [name_f]Grace[/name_f]

[name_f]Liberty[/name_f] [name_f]Marie[/name_f]

[name_f]Amelia[/name_f] [name_u]Taye[/name_u]

[name_f]Polly[/name_f] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]

[name_f]Sophia[/name_f] [name_f]Raine[/name_f]

Thank you!

To answer one of your questions schools typically have an optional preferred name box. If this is the case her name will be listed as Lastname, [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] ([name_f]Maisie[/name_f]).
She’ll be Maisie as long as she wants to be called Maisie. By making Maisie a nickname your daughter will have the choice of what to be called – Margaret, Maisie, Maggie, Greta, etc.

I think you should name her [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] if that’s the name you really love. I think the perfect nn and adult nn could be [name_f]Mai[/name_f]/[name_f]Mae[/name_f]/[name_f]May[/name_f]. Personally, I think [name_f]Maggie[/name_f]/[name_f]Margie[/name_f]/[name_f]Margo[/name_f] is the most appropriate nn for [name_f]Margaret[/name_f].

I am not a fan of giving someone a name you never plan on using… it’s frustrating for the person who has to go through life explaining it to everyone. My mom was named [name_m]Julian[/name_m], but her whole life she has gone by [name_f]Judy[/name_f]. It’s very annoying for her because honestly she feels like her name is [name_f]Judy[/name_f] because that’s what she has always been called by her family. [name_m]How[/name_m] do you get [name_f]Judy[/name_f] out of [name_m]Julian[/name_m] and similiarly how do you really get [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] out of [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]? It almost seems like they’re pulled out of left field. This is just my personal take on it.

My mom really wishes she would have just been named [name_f]Judy[/name_f] and even though she could go by [name_u]Jules[/name_u], [name_f]Julia[/name_f], or [name_u]Julie[/name_u]… she really only identifies with [name_f]Judy[/name_f] as her name.

I think you should go with one or the other, not both. They are lots of cute nicknames for [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] ([name_f]Maggie[/name_f], [name_f]Margo[/name_f], [name_f]Mary[/name_f], etc.) and for [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] ([name_f]May[/name_f], [name_f]May[/name_f]-[name_f]May[/name_f], [name_f]Zee[/name_f] like the ending of [name_f]Mai[/name_f]-[name_m]SIE[/name_m], etc.), But I can’t see one being a nickname for the other. You have two lovely names picked out, though. And if you decide not to name her [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] or [name_f]Maisie[/name_f], your combos [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] [name_f]Grace[/name_f], [name_f]Liberty[/name_f] [name_f]Marie[/name_f], and [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] [name_f]Raine[/name_f] are very pretty options too.

[name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]?
Or [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] [name_f]Catalina[/name_f]/[name_f]Caitlin[/name_f]/etc.

I think what makes [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f] feel childish is that both names are diminutives, but I think [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] is no less childish than [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], [name_f]Marcie[/name_f], etc.

Otherwise I really like [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] and [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] from your list. They’re popular names, but for good reasons. I love the meaning of [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] (wisdom) and the role model namesakes of [name_f]Amelia[/name_f].

[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f] - I don’t like [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] or [name_f]Kate[/name_f]. [name_m]How[/name_m] is [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] a nickname for [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]?
[name_f]Maisie[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f] - I like [name_f]Maisie[/name_f], but don’t like [name_f]Kate[/name_f]. [name_m]How[/name_m] about [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] [name_f]Kaitlyn[/name_f] or [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] [name_f]Katrina[/name_f]? (Please no [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] as it is overused and unattractive.)
[name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] - [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] is beautiful but too popular. :frowning: I hate [name_f]Grace[/name_f], it doesn’t suit most people, it’s boring, not pretty and a filler middle name which drive me crazy.)
[name_f]Liberty[/name_f] [name_f]Marie[/name_f] - [name_f]Liberty[/name_f] is best for the middle spot. [name_f]Marie[/name_f], another filler middle name. Please don’t use a filler middle name.
[name_f]Amelia[/name_f] [name_u]Taye[/name_u] - [name_f]Amelia[/name_f] (see [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u]) I’m not a fan of [name_u]Taye[/name_u].
[name_f]Polly[/name_f] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] - [name_f]Polly[/name_f] is too childish and [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] is way too popular.
[name_f]Sophia[/name_f] [name_f]Raine[/name_f] - [name_f]Sophia[/name_f] is too popular. [name_f]Raine[/name_f] is lovely.

I like the suggestion of [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] for you–I do think that would address your concern. [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] [name_f]Grace[/name_f] is also really lovely. I think you have lots of good choices.

I really love the idea of [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f] nn [name_f]Maisie[/name_f]. It isn’t hard at all to make sure she is called [name_f]Maisie[/name_f], just introduce her to everyone new as [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] and on her school forms there will be two blanks to fill in for names “Legal name” and then “preferred name”. My sister [name_f]Katrina[/name_f] went by [name_f]Kat[/name_f] in school and it was never a problem. She really enjoys having the option now as an adult to choose to introduce herself as either based on what the situation is.

My other favorite from your list is [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] [name_f]Grace[/name_f].

[name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f] is beautiful

I went to college with a girl named [name_f]Maisie[/name_f], whose legal name was [name_u]Marion[/name_u], which she found too fussy. [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] suited her just fine, especially among plenty of Lilys and Katies. Using a nickname is seldom a big deal because of the sheer amount of people who do. If you named your son [name_m]William[/name_m], there’s a good chance he would be asking to be called [name_m]Will[/name_m].

I will say the less similar the full and the nickname are, the more difficult it tends to be. There’s a good chance [name_m]William[/name_m] would be [name_m]Will[/name_m] without being asked if it’s his preference or not, just because it’s quite standard. It helps that [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] and [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] start with the same letter, though I wouldn’t say it’s obvious enough to not need to announce it either.

As someone who goes by a nickname, I do wish my parents had just named me that rather than the long form. While it shouldn’t be a big deal to correct people, I do have kind of a shy personality, so at times I have reluctantly not gone by my preferred name. Whether that bothers somebody more, or if having a shorter, cutes-y first name does, I guess isn’t something easy to predict.

While there’s nothing wrong with timeless [name_f]Margaret[/name_f], my choice here would be [name_f]Maisie[/name_f]. [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] is great as it pairs with a more formal, traditional name.

I think you should use [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] as her given name.

I just had a thought - what about [name_f]Marcy[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f]? It has the same short vibe as [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] but I don’t think anyone could accuse it of being too cutesy. The only issue is that you couldn’t have a [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] if you have future children but you have some fairly solid choices if need be.

This one may not be your style but I’m just putting it out there, you could go with [name_f]Mae[/name_f] [name_f]Kaitlyn[/name_f] or [name_f]Mae[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]

I think [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f] is nice, and I don’t think [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] as a nickname for [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] is a problem at all. It’s a traditional short form, and won’t take more than a moment for people to understand it’s a nickname if you/she needs to explain it. I live in a country where nicknames are used a lot, so things might be different where you live, but I know plenty of people whose nicknames are not the ‘obvious’ short forms, and it’s completely unproblematic.

I think [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f] or [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] are fine too. [name_f]Maisie[/name_f]'s #524 on the US popularity charts at the moment, so it won’t be unusual to meet an adult named [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] by the time she’s grown up.

It’s possible she’ll prefer a more ‘formal’ name, of course, just as it’s possible she’ll wish you used the short form if you go with [name_f]Margaret[/name_f]. That’s not something you can plan for with any certainty. But you can give her options, and the knowledge that the name you gave her feels special to you. [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] gives her options, and [name_f]Mae[/name_f] seems like a fairly ‘grown-up’ nickname option for [name_f]Maisie[/name_f]. [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] in the middle spot would add even more options.

Use the name that makes you (and your partner) happiest.

I’m a [name_f]Katie[/name_f], full name - [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]. Have never been called [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] by anyone other than substitute teachers or doctors and actually it was the registry office that persuaded my parents to register me with a full name not a nickname.

Growing up I was a painfully shy child and did hate to correct teachers, although to be honest my louder classmates would often just do it for me, and my doctor called me [name_f]Kathy[/name_f] for the whole 18 years I went to her practice. Saying that, I would absolutely do the same for my child. I love that I have this somewhat ‘secret’ name, it’s like my superhero alter ego, although all my friends say ‘you are so not a [name_f]Katherine[/name_f]’. As I’ve gotten older I have started to feel that [name_f]Katie[/name_f] makes me feel juvenile and quiet and I’ve been considering trying to morph into [name_f]Kate[/name_f] instead. I have always felt that if I walked into a room of strangers and wanted to feel strong I could introduce myself as [name_f]Katherine[/name_f] ****** and it holds a bit more gravitas than [name_f]Katie[/name_f].

[name_f]Maisie[/name_f] feels particularly young to me and I wouldn’t like to be a 30 year old [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] now - however that could all change by the time [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] is actually in her 30’s and surrounded by other 30 year old Maisies, so it shouldn’t be the one thing you base your decision on! I’m still on team ‘use the full name’ and would probably actually use the name [name_f]May[/name_f] or [name_f]Mae[/name_f] instead if it was myself as I’m not a huge fan of [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] but do [name_u]LOVE[/name_u] the wealth of nicknames she spawns ([name_f]Maggie[/name_f], [name_f]Molly[/name_f], [name_f]Maisie[/name_f], [name_f]Polly[/name_f], [name_f]Daisy[/name_f], [name_f]May[/name_f], [name_f]Peggy[/name_f] - what a choice!).

I think the below would be beautiful choices:
[name_f]Mae[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f]
[name_f]Mae[/name_f] [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]

([name_f]Mae[/name_f] places itself perfectly for the nn [name_f]Maisie[/name_f] actually as you are just adding those few other letters in)

I do really love [name_f]Polly[/name_f] also, and would vote [name_f]Polly[/name_f] if [name_f]Maisie[/name_f]/[name_f]Margaret[/name_f]/[name_f]Mae[/name_f] drops off the list…

Good luck with your decision!