Weigh in on Harry?

I have long loved the name [name]Harry[/name]. I think it’s a great classic and also a tribute to my beloved Grandfather. However, I married a man whose last name begins with an “Har” sound. Does “[name]Harry[/name] [name]Harmon[/name]” sound too weird? I don’t want it to sound like a [name]Vegas[/name] stage name or a trendy ice cream flavor… please weigh in! All opinions welcomed! Thanks!

I think it’s so nice that you’re naming your baby after your grandfather.

Like you said, [name]Harry[/name] [name]Harmon[/name] isn’t the best combination, but I don’t think it’s the worst, either. With the alliteration and matching syllables, it does sound pretty clipped to me. It rolls of the tongue very, very quickly.

I’d suggest [name]Harrison[/name] to break up the Hars, but then you’ve got the matching -on endings.

On the bright side, your last name does contain the first three letters of [name]Harry[/name]. With that in mind, I think I’d personally go with [name]Henry[/name] [name]Harmon[/name] ([name]Harry[/name] is the nickname for [name]Henry[/name]), because for some reason, it sounds a bit less sing-songy to my ear.

[name]Henry[/name] [name]Harmon[/name] rolls off the tongue quickly, too, but I think less so than [name]Harry[/name] [name]Harmon[/name].

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I just want to add that if you don’t like the sound of [name]Harry[/name] as a first name with [name]Harmon[/name], you could always consider putting it in the middle:

[name]Everett[/name] [name]Harry[/name]/[name]Henry[/name] [name]Harmon[/name]
[name]Nathaniel[/name] [name]Harry[/name]/[name]Henry[/name] [name]Harmon[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Harry[/name]/[name]Henry[/name] [name]Harmon[/name]
[name]Samuel[/name] [name]Harry[/name]/[name]Henry[/name] [name]Harmon[/name] (very popular, though)
[name]Theodore[/name] [name]Harry[/name]/[name]Henry[/name] [name]Harmon[/name]

I kind of like [name]Harry[/name] [name]Harmon[/name] better than other suggestions (which are mostly pretty good too). I like [name]Harrison[/name] a lot - please rise while the honorable [name]Judge[/name] [name]Harrison[/name] [name]Harmon[/name] approaches the bench. It sounds very good. Speaking of judges, [name]Harold[/name]? That was [name]Harry[/name]'s formal name on [name]Night[/name] [name]Court[/name]. Or [name]Harris[/name]? To be a slightly bit different, [name]Garrett[/name]? You won’t get [name]Harry[/name] from it, but [name]Garrett[/name] [name]Harmon[/name] sounds just right. There was a [name]Garrett[/name] in my high school who was called [name]Garrett[/name], nobody shortened it to [name]Gary[/name], that I know of, if that’s an issue. [name]Even[/name] [name]Jerry[/name]. [name]Jerry[/name] [name]Harmon[/name].

Anyway, [name]Harry[/name] [name]Harmon[/name] doesn’t sound like a [name]Vegas[/name] act. He could grow up to be that, but I hear “[name]Harry[/name] [name]Harmon[/name]” as a can-do man and helpful. He helps his friends move, he keeps dishes from piling up in the sink. I don’t know if he jogs. All the girls at school think he’s cute. I could paint other pictures that might not be so positive with the name, but that just means it’s versatile - it doesn’t sound inherently like, silly, or down on his luck, I think he sounds like he could just be about anybody - his name is catchy though, I think that’s it. No matter what he does, people will remember his name around, so teach him not to cheat at cards, keep the lad out of trouble; with a good reputation, I think it’s a great name to have.

I really like the sound of [name]Harry[/name] [name]Harmon[/name]. [name]Harry[/name] is a great name and if you like it then you should go for it.

Good [name]Luck[/name]!

I like [name]Jill[/name]'s suggestion of [name]Harrison[/name] - I think it has a less ‘comical’ aspect than [name]Harry[/name] [name]Harmon[/name], but still gives you the option of calling him [name]Harry[/name] :slight_smile:

Thank you all for your suggestions. It really helps to get some feedback. We actually had [name]Harrison[/name] on the table a while ago and then sort of forgot about it. Now I think it’s back on! I also like that [name]Harrison[/name] could lead to several nicknames - [name]Harry[/name], [name]Hal[/name], [name]Hank[/name], etc (all of which still honors my G’pa). Thanks again!

I too think [name]Harrison[/name] is perfect for what you are looking for!