Weird reactions to name-nerdiness

lol, no, I think you misunderstood me. :slight_smile: I actually love [name]Agnes[/name], it just seems to be very out of style right now. I adore the French prn. (ahn-YESS), the fact that it honors my mom (means the same thing as her FN), and I love the nns [name]Maggie[/name] and [name]Annie[/name] for it (both are a bit of a stretch, but ah, well). I love [name]Agnes[/name] [name]Violet[/name] for a combo, too. It just seems perfect, just dreadfully out-of-style, and I don’t think it really fits in with my other favorites.

My husband gives me a hard time, he likes to randomly ask me “what’s going on in the naming community right now?” or he will bring home a name and ask if it’s a name the “naming community” (which he likes to say A LOT) will think is great or stupid. Most of my friends think it’s bizarre lol

I’ve actually been blessed to be surrounded with several people who at least take an interested in naming. My sister, best friend, dad and sister-in-law are all minor league name nerds. DH tolerates the discussions, but lost a lot of interest once he realized he would never have a son named Putter.

My sister is the only one to really understand the name nerdiness, and I don’t bother with my friends. I mentioned my guilty pleasure love for the name [name]Archibald[/name], which recieved odd looks and “That’s awful!!” My other friends are okay with discussing names some times, but our styles are so different, we just go in circles. I’m still convincing my best friend that [name]Benjamin[/name] is fine without an “er” instead of an “a.”
[name]Just[/name] today I showed my sister my list of top names, and she made faces and used funny voices while saying them.

So glad to have nameberry…

• [name]Athena[/name]

I don’t normally share my name obession except with my cousin who started the obsession in the first place. Although I’ve had several conversations with my boyfriend and my younger sister. Those are interesting. [name]Martin[/name] has a very “odd” taste in names that I’ve learned to compromise on, my sister’s taste in names just makes me sad. But whenever she wants opinions she’s all over asking me what I think.

I work as a cashier, and I get all excited inside when people give me their credit cards. Then I get thouroughly disappointed when I see the bajillionth [name]Jennifer[/name]. [name]Even[/name] [name]Melanie[/name] is a nice change.
I only talk to my family, who is gotten used to it by now. In fact, I was out for dinner with my dad, and he noticed the waiter was [name]Ashleigh[/name], a spelling he hadn’t seen before (he’s not very name savvy). So he struck up a conversation for my benefit about the name. Turns out her mother’s name is [name]Verity[/name]. We also met a [name]Winfield[/name] and a [name]Maverick[/name], and though he didn’t talk to them, he did make a note of it to me.
I think my dad might be a secret name enthusiast :wink:

My family accepts my namenerdiness (what a mouthful!). I’m sure part of the reason is that since I was 14, I have had a niece or nephew born at least once every year. So we’ve had plenty of naming discussions over the years. My husband gets worried whenever I bring up names, because he’s afraid it means I’m pregnant and haven’t told him yet. (That discussion would never happen without him knowing ahead of time, but anyway.) However, he does sometimes bring up a name that he thinks is interesting, weird, etc. Most “weird” names to him are popular on nameberry. I’m working on expanding his taste in names. I think my dad is a ‘secret name enthusiast’, as jame1881 said, because he loves to discuss names. He is the one that chose my and my sisters names, neither of which are popular now or ever have been, really, that I am aware of.

Save for one of my best friend,whom I discuss names with quite a bit, it’s mostly just a party trick/quirk to my friends. My mom and I love to talk about names, although she does question it from time to time…

I’ve always loved names. Always. I used to want to be a teacher when I was in elementary school (when I was 10 or so), so I’d make class rosters with all of the names I loved. I kept a consistent list of names that I loved (though at the time, they were usually names like ‘[name]Jamaica[/name]’ and ‘Tropicana’, lol). I’ve kind of given up on keeping it a secret, I usually just tell people. It’s usually pretty obvious that I’m kind of an English/word nerd anyway, so telling them that I’m fascinated by the etymology and culture of given names isn’t too much of a stretch. I’ve met numerous others that I’m now somewhat close to who have admitted that they, too, love studying and discussing names.

But yes, it drove my parents nuts, and now drives my Husband nuts as he abhors discussing names. [name]Even[/name] when I’m pregnant and it’s kind of important that we do so, lol.

My mom used to be quite concerned, but I’ve got her interested in names now.

I have a twin sister, and she thinks I’m “crazy”, but each to their own. My sister has interests I don’t have any interest in myself but I’d never call her crazy!

Haha! My brother usually puts up with me and will sometimes even play along when I’m ranting about names. My friends that are girls are usually fine with talking about it with me for a while, but when it comes to other family members/guy friends, I usually don’t even bring it up except for the occasional “Oh, I really like that name!”