Weird Thing...

In the “What names are you thinking about for your baby” forum, there’s a lady who posted yesterday with daughters [name]India[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name] & [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Ophelia[/name]. Now, my weird thing is this; our top girls combo almost matches: [name]Maud[/name] [name]India[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name].
It freaked me out a little bit. Well, more than a little bit. Would you still use it, if it was your combo? I’m fairly certain the world could stand it and will use it if we have a girl. I just love [name]Maud[/name] [name]India[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name] to pieces! But how weird do you think it is and what would you do?

[name]Lola[/name], I almost wonder whether someone was putting you on. Because there was a post on [name]India[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name] and right away there was another post on [name]Maud[/name]. Too coincidental I think. [name]Maud[/name] [name]India[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name] is a gorgeous name. It is not common. But maybe you shouldn’t put your favorite names out there for people to see because they might get copied. You might even start a trend! Maybe Nameberry should have a forum where only your trusted posters could get in to see your name combos. I don’t know, what do you think? You don’t have to worry that I will copy your names because I’m not going to have any more babies and I’m going to name my next pet Pompy, [name]Francie[/name], [name]Queenie[/name], or [name]Skipper[/name]. Plus if I had more babies I probably would be super boring and name them [name]Philip[/name] or [name]Anna[/name]. That’s my style plus a really long middle name.

[name]Lola[/name],

I agree with [name]Susan[/name]. I thought for sure that someone was just making up posts. [name]Maud[/name] and [name]India[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name] in the same week? It’s too weird to me. There were also several [name]Rubie[/name]'s (spelled like this) in the same week. Really? Please tell me the spelling R-u-b-i-e is not catching on!

[name]Susan[/name], I wasn’t sure if it was a put- on or not and I don’t mind starting a trend, really but I think I won’t be putting whole combos out there much more at least for a while. I’d like a private forum but I’m not going to insist on one, it seems a bit much, I think. I was never worried about you taking them! :slight_smile: Honest!
[name]Kim[/name], maybe you’re onto something. I had this happen at BabyNamesWorld too, it’s what made me leave that site. Not leaving here, but not posting full combos anymore! Not til I get pregnant again, anyway! :slight_smile:

Thanks Guys!

I just looked up babynamesworld and I don’t like it because it’s ugly-ugly graphics. I love this site because it is well designed.

I would still definitely use it. It’s an absolutely beautiful combination. If it’s coincidental and you don’t even know the other family, I don’t think it’s a problem at all. You seem to have very particular taste (I mean this as a compliment!) and dare using names that are not mainstream or likely to be. Because of this, I wouldn’t worry too much about people “stealing” your names. I really do hope we can keep discussing our full ideas here cause you ladies’ opinions and input are so useful!!

when i first saw that post i assumed you had written it! what are the odds of two [name]India[/name] Scarletts? It’s definitely weird, but I can’t imagine why anyone would want to put you on… why would anyone do that? It is a really beautiful pairing, so maybe it’s not so strange that someone else would have thought of it. Another idea, I have noticed that a lot of the people on here seem to have really similar tastes, which are completely different than most people’s. Maybe we’ve all been influenced by [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name]'s books, so it’s a little more likely to run into someone on here that would like the same names as you than on another site… I don’t know, it’s still really weird. I’d still use it though, no question.

Hey [name]Lola[/name], I know I mentioned stealing [name]Maud[/name] [name]India[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name] if you don’t use it, but just for the record, I was teasing. So I hope I didn’t contribute to your nervousness, it was certainly not my intention! I never even noticed the coincidental postings of [name]Maude[/name], [name]Rubie[/name], etc. Strange things are afoot at the Nameberry boards…

But yeah, if I were you, I’d still use the name, no question. It’s gorgeous!

[name]Don[/name]'t worry [name]Melissa[/name], I wasn’t worried about any of the regulars I see here stealing anything. It’s the ones that post once or twice and the vanish that make me nervous. :slight_smile: And I’m getting over the freak out. [name]Maud[/name] [name]India[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name] is a definite for us and I am loving her to pieces. Now to get pregnant again!

I would actually be flattered if anyone wanted to steal my name idea. Except there are tons of girls named [name]Laura[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]! I guess I am not very original. Now my son’s middle name [name]Sebastian[/name] is popular. I doubt anyone would want to steal [name]Anna[/name]. :^) It’s kind of like stealing the flavor of vanilla.

Too funny [name]Susan[/name]! I know there are tons of [name]Laura[/name] [name]Elizabeth[/name]'s, I’m a [name]Laura[/name] [name]Elisabeth[/name]! At least I have another middle to differentiate me from the others! [name]Sebastian[/name] is one of [name]Leo[/name]'s middles too! Great minds think alike? :smiley:

I suppose I should consider it a form of flattery but having weathered a friendship where she was competitive with me, I’ve learned to really dislike it. Can’t help it anymore.

Wow! I’m so glad I found this thread! [name]Lola[/name], when I first saw [name]India[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name], I wondered if it was indeed legitimate, as the odds of two [name]India[/name] Scarletts are pretty slim. Then, as I think [name]Kim[/name] mentioned, a [name]Maude[/name] posting arose. Granted, I’m more apt to believe the [name]Maude[/name] post than I am the one concerning [name]India[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name], but it’s all really strange.

Either way, [name]Lola[/name], I’m thrilled to hear you’re still using [name]Maud[/name] [name]India[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name]! It’s stunning in every way, and goes perfectly with [name]Josephine[/name]. [name]Maud[/name] [name]India[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name] is beyond gorgeous, and I love it with a last name beginning with the letter “M.”

Like you said, [name]Lola[/name], I’m confused by the posters who post once or twice and never return, even to comment on people’s suggestions. No thank you’s for the time spent thinking of names, and no feedback. It’s strange (and pretty rude), but people have every right to post as they please (even it’s only once). Personally, if I posted a question about a name, I’d check back as soon as I could to read suggestions and thank everyone, but that’s just me.

That said, I, too, was thinking about how wonderful it would be to have a private forum for trusted members. Perhaps, as an alternative, the name talk section of the site could be set to private, requiring a membership to both post AND read comments. This way, privacy would be protected, and perhaps fakers who won’t get a thrill out of posting in a private forum will be weeded out. The rest of the site would be open, of course, but everything pertaining to name talk would be private.

I, for one, plan on having a baby in the future (sooner rather than later), and I won’t feel comfortable revealing family names, namesakes, and name combinations on an open forum. [name]Even[/name] though we’re throwing names around, it’s still personal information, and I’d like to be selective about who sees it. I intentionally haven’t answered questions regarding where I live or family names, as I’m really careful about what I post in open forums (and this is actually the only open forum in which I post).

Nameberry is my favorite site, and I’m so thankful and grateful for [name]Linda[/name] and [name]Pam[/name]'s time, generosity, and effort. Like someone said (I forget who!), Nameberry seems to attract people familiar with [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name]'s books, and we all seem to favor classic, vintage, stylish, and unique names. I know I haven’t posted here for long, but I think it’s safe to say that names such as [name]Addison[/name], [name]Hailey[/name], [name]Jayden[/name], etc., aren’t on any of our short lists.

Granted, nothing is wrong with trendy names, but it’s very apparent that for the most part, posters who frequent Namberry have a certain taste that’s the antithesis of trendy.

I really enjoy posting here, and I wish everyone a wonderful morning/day/night! :slight_smile:

It is weird but I think that like some other posters said, a lot of people who stop by seem to have similar taste (probably because of the books, I know that they have influenced my taste!!) I think that you are still good using your beautiful combos and hope that everybody still feels open to share (I love reading your ladies ideas)

I like the idea of a private forum where regular posters could share more information. As much as posting on a message board allows for anonymity, sharing family names and full combinations is quite personal. I’m sure many of us would feel more comfortable sharing more detailed information on a forum that only regulars can see. I’d be curious to see what [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name] think about this.

I like the idea of a private forum where regular posters could share more information. As much as posting on a message board allows for anonymity, sharing family names and full combinations is quite personal. I’m sure many of us would feel more comfortable sharing more detailed information on a forum that only regulars can see. I’d be curious to see what [name]Pam[/name] and [name]Linda[/name] think about this.

Who/what would determine who has access to a private forum? Seems like it could get complicated.

Yeah good point. It probably would not be worth the hassle.

[name]Hi[/name] there! I may have written this in my previous post, but I was thinking that while every other feature on nameberry would remain the same (as in open for everyone to see), the “name talk” forum would be private for everyone, not just regular users.

In other words, if someone came to the site, and after browsing through the name search and hot lists features (well, actually, through every feature listed other than name talk), he or she would have to register and log in to gain access to the name talk forum, as it would be private. In order to read other people’s comments or to post comments, nameberry visitors will need to be registered. This way, information (name choices, family names, etc.) will be private, and not be accessible via Google searches.

Many web sites operate this way, with visitors being able to read and access general information, with more sensitive personal information being private to people who just stop by to browse.

As it is, people have to register to comment, so this would just be taking it one step further, making registration a requirement for reading comments, too. This would apply to everyone, not just regular users.

Thoughts?