Weird to use the same middle name as father?

My fiancé and I are expecting our first son in mid [name_f]April[/name_f]. We both really like [name_m]Apollo[/name_m]. I like [name_u]James[/name_u] as a middle name, but [name_u]James[/name_u] is the same middle name as the father. I was wondering if it was weird to still use [name_u]James[/name_u] for his middle name or if we should find another.
If you think we should find another middle name, please provide some! We are open to pretty much anything as long as it sounds smooth, last name has two syllables if that helps at all. Thank you in advance!

I think you can, if you don’t mind people asking “is he named after him?”. People have done this for centuries so you’re fine.

2 Likes

Why would that be weird? People do that all the time. I can’t even tell you how many people in my husband’s family share middle (or even first) names with other people in the family.

7 Likes

It’s not weird! [name_m]Apollo[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] is lovely, and it’s a nice way to honour your fiancé :slight_smile:

Alternatives if you do want some

Apollo [name_u]Neil[/name_u]
[name_m]Apollo[/name_m] [name_m]Thomas[/name_m]
[name_m]Apollo[/name_m] [name_u]Ryan[/name_u]
[name_m]Apollo[/name_m] [name_m]Ross[/name_m]
[name_m]Apollo[/name_m] [name_u]Carter[/name_u]
[name_m]Apollo[/name_m] [name_u]Evan[/name_u]
[name_m]Apollo[/name_m] [name_u]Everett[/name_u]
[name_m]Apollo[/name_m] [name_m]Clark[/name_m]

1 Like

Many people do this intentionally. I have the same middle name as my mom and I’ve always thought it made sense! It’s only bad if you don’t like the connection.

7 Likes

I think it’s totally normal!

1 Like

Honestly, I have no clue. I see it all the time and I think it was just a concern since we’re both first timers and getting close to the due date.

Welcome to Nameberry!

No, I see it as a nice honor name, it’s not weird at all. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I think it’s pretty common! I have a nephew whose mn is his father’s mn, which is his father’s (the grandpa) mn, and my SIL has the same middle as my MIL.

1 Like

Thank you! And I never really thought of it that way but I think it’d be a great way to sort of honor my fiancé as he is pretty amazing :blush:

2 Likes

Of course he is! He’s your fiance, after all. ^^

1 Like

I’m only now discovering how common it is! I’ve never seen it, or at least paid much attention to middle names so I’m glad to hear that it isn’t unheard of (like at all). <3

3 Likes

I get that. I’m on baby #2 and still have weird naming hang-ups from time to time and I have to ask myself, “Is this really an issue or am I being weird?” lol I hope my response didn’t come off as snotty. It certainly wasn’t meant that way! I was honestly asking why it might be weird since it definitely is not in our family.

2 Likes

[name_f]Welcome[/name_f].

Both my brothers’ middle names are our dad’s first name. Also, my mom’s middle name is her mom’s middle name (though her mom went exclusively by her middle name). My younger nephew has his Dad’s mn as my brother and SIL were giving each of their kids their grandpas’ first names as their middle names.

It’s a pretty regular occurrence and not at all strange.

Good luck in deciding. But if I may say, [name_m]Apollo[/name_m] [name_u]James[/name_u] would be a great name to have.

1 Like

No, it didn’t come off that way at all, no worries! <3

No. We did that very thing with our first son, and it seems to tickle him that he and his daddy have the same middle name. It’s also my husband’s dad’s middle, so passed down twice.

2 Likes

I don’t think that’s weird it’s actually very common. Middle names traditionally are to honour relatives and honouring the father would make logical sense in my eyes unless you don’t want that connection. I think if your happy with that honour it’s a lovely idea and I would use it.

Apollo [name_u]James[/name_u] is fab!

1 Like

That’s so sweet. :pleading_face:

1 Like

In my family it’s tradition to use at least one of your children’s middle names or honour someone. I’m named after two of my great grandmothers. So not weird

1 Like

I did not know that! That’s very interesting and actually makes a lot of sense!
And thank you, I’ve been dwelling on the name since before I even got with my fiancé! I don’t even remember where I first saw the combo but it just resonated with me.

1 Like