We're having another girl! Now for a name...

We learned today that our littlest one is a girl. The pictures were very clear, no doubt at all. :slight_smile:

So here is what I’ve been thinking about names. [name]Hazel[/name] has been our front runner for a girl name for some time, though dh brought up [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Beth[/name] (double first name) and again after we found out. Older siblings are [name]Lucas[/name], [name]Quinlan[/name] and [name]Clarissa[/name].

[name]Clarissa[/name] and this little girl will be only 2.5 years apart and I’ve begun wondering if [name]Clarissa[/name] (a more elaborate name) and [name]Hazel[/name] (a less elaborate name) go together that well. Chances are I’ll be saying, and sometimes yelling, their names together on a regular basis in the future. [name]Will[/name] [name]Hazel[/name] sound plain next to [name]Clarissa[/name]? [name]Will[/name] [name]Clarissa[/name] sound too frilly next to [name]Hazel[/name]? One thought I’ve had is to use [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Lea[/name] to add to the name somewhat. The two “L” sounds blend together a bit and make it sound more like a longer name. Also, we call use the nickname Clariss (basically just leaving off the “a”) on a regular basis. Clariss and [name]Hazel[/name] sound similar to my ear and so do [name]Clarissa[/name] and [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Lea[/name]. Does that make sense to anyone? Dh thinks I’m being hormonal and shouldn’t worry about it.

So here’s what I’m thinking right now.

[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Lea[/name]/h [name]Alexandra[/name] - I’m not sure about the “h”, since we’d be using it to honor [name]Leo[/name] and there’s no “h” in his name. But I wonder if [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Lea[/name] looks like a description of a meadow somewhere and [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Leah[/name] would be better.

[name]Ivy[/name] [name]Beth[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name] or [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Beth[/name] [name]Eleanor[/name] - [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Beth[/name] has been on our list for as long as [name]Hazel[/name] (about 6 or 7 years). [name]Clarissa[/name] and [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Beth[/name] were our top 2 girl choices last time and dh wanted to change [name]Clarissa[/name]'s name to [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Beth[/name] when she was 3 days old. I know he really likes the name.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Honestly I really like [name]Lucas[/name], [name]Quinlan[/name], [name]Clarissa[/name] and [name]Alexandra[/name]. I know that’s not what you were asking but I’m just not sure I think [name]Clarissa[/name] and [name]Hazel[/name] go well together. Whether or not they go well together is something entirely up to you and everyone feels differently about that on their own personal level.
If I had to chose between [name]Hazel[/name] or [name]Ivy[/name] with [name]Clarissa[/name] I would Chose [name]Ivy[/name].

I second Disa. :slight_smile:

With [name]Clarissa[/name], I guess I picture something exotic, along the lines of:

[name]Arabella[/name]
[name]Dahlia[/name]
[name]Esme[/name]
[name]Francesca[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name]
[name]Juliette[/name]
[name]Juliana[/name]
[name]Liliana[/name]
[name]Mirabelle[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Viviana[/name]

[name]Lucas[/name] and [name]Quinlan[/name], however, I can see with both [name]Hazel[/name] and [name]Ivy[/name].

Some names that reach a middle ground to me, working well with all three names:

[name]Amelia[/name]
[name]Alexandra[/name]
[name]Daphne[/name]
[name]Diana[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Eleanor[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Genevieve[/name] (nn [name]Evie[/name])
[name]Georgiana[/name]/[name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Ivy[/name] (one of your favorites) :slight_smile:
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Julia[/name]
[name]Marielle[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name]/[name]Rose[/name]
[name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Tabitha[/name]
[name]Violet[/name]
[name]Vivienne[/name]

I really think that with [name]Ivy[/name] (and [name]Alexandra[/name]), you’ve got a name that captures [name]Clarissa[/name]‘s exotic feel as well as [name]Lucas[/name]’ more traditional vibe. I love [name]Hazel[/name], too, but think it’s too slanted toward the traditional/comfy side to work well with [name]Clarissa[/name].

So, another vote for [name]Ivy[/name]! :slight_smile:

Good luck!

I like [name]Hazel[/name], but I love [name]Ivy[/name]! I am not big on double first names (although [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Beth[/name] is very pretty) so if it were me I would go for [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Beth[/name] [name]Alexandra[/name] (I love these three names together!) and call her [name]Ivy[/name] on a daily basis. I think it goes beautifully with your other names and is such an elegant and unusual name. It sort of does for me what [name]Lily[/name] did six or seven years ago before it became so popular.

Another vote for [name]Ivy[/name]!

It goes well with all 3 siblings and is beautiful on its own as well. I’m not a big fan of [name]Hazel[/name] in general and in this case I also agree with your concerns over its plainness with [name]Clarissa[/name]. [name]Hazel[/name] [name]Lea[/name] doesn’t work in my opinion because the L’s run together making it sound like an adverb–Hazelly–and when written does seem to indicate some sort of hazy meadow.

I love [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Beth[/name].

I love [name]Daphne[/name], [name]Flora[/name], [name]Ivy[/name], and [name]Phoebe[/name]. Got all the ideas from you and [name]Jill[/name].
Also love [name]Jessamyn[/name] and [name]Philippa[/name] nn [name]Pippa[/name].

Thanks for all the comments.

I’ve brought up [name]Alexandra[/name] as a first name, but dh isn’t a fan of it. From the suggestions listed I like:

[name]Juliet[/name] - but the Shakespearean play throws me off a bit, especially the ending

[name]Francesca[/name] - but [name]Clarissa[/name]'s mn is [name]Frances[/name], so that’s out

[name]Liliana[/name] and [name]Rosalie[/name] - but dh nixed them

[name]Daphne[/name] - I haven’t approached dh about this one. I like it, but I’m not sure I like it enough to use. I’ll have to think about it.

[name]Eleanor[/name] - I like it and dh likes it. It’s kind of in the same category as [name]Daphne[/name], though. It needs more thought.

Thanks. You’ve given me a lot to think about.

I love [name]Juliet[/name], [name]Eleanor[/name], and [name]Daphne[/name]. Also love [name]Ivy[/name]!
Instead of [name]Alexandra[/name], how about:
[name]Alessandra[/name] - on second thought, this seems to close to [name]Clarissa[/name]
[name]Anastasia[/name] nn [name]Tansy[/name]
[name]Zandra[/name] nn [name]Zandie[/name]

More ideas:
[name]Annabel[/name]
[name]Anneliese[/name]
[name]Camilla[/name] nn [name]Milly[/name]
[name]Cecilia[/name] nn [name]Celia[/name], Cessie
[name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Helena[/name] nn [name]Nell[/name]
[name]Heloise[/name]
[name]Miranda[/name] nn [name]Mira[/name] or [name]Miri[/name]
[name]Millicent[/name] nn [name]Milly[/name] - nobody ever likes this, but I love it!
[name]Natalia[/name] nn [name]Talia[/name]
[name]Penelope[/name] nn [name]Nell[/name]
[name]Phoebe[/name]
[name]Rosamond[/name] nn [name]Rosie[/name], [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Serena[/name]
[name]Veronica[/name] nn [name]Vera[/name]
[name]Vivian[/name] nn [name]Vivi[/name]

I really like [name]Ivy[/name], alone or with [name]Beth[/name], and don’t think it would be that big of a deal with [name]Clarissa[/name]–they sound different in style but both are distinctive, attractive names, uncommon but familiar. If a matching style is important to you, I think [name]Eleanor[/name] fits the bill well. I personally don’t care for [name]Hazel[/name] but see it as closer in style to [name]Ivy[/name] than [name]Clarissa[/name], and if I liked it better I would probably make the same argument for it as I do for [name]Ivy[/name]. Because both you and your husband really like [name]Ivy[/name] and [name]Hazel[/name], I don’t see the matching sibling thing as an important obstacle. :slight_smile:

I think [name]Clarissa[/name] and Hzael don’t sound that great together. [name]Hazel[/name] is a bit too plain next to a pretty princess, elegant name like [name]Clarissa[/name]. To me, the thought of those two names put together as sisters kind of remind like [name]Clarissa[/name] is the princess and [name]Hazel[/name] the pauper. [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Beth[/name] on the other hand, is elegant, classy and long enough to stand beautifully beside [name]Clarissa[/name]. I go with [name]Ivy[/name] [name]Beth[/name].

clarissa & hazel would go together beautifully, no lie:)

No way. I love them both, but no way together!

oooohhhh…I think [name]Clarissa[/name] and [name]Hazel[/name] works…

I actually think [name]Hazel[/name] goes well with [name]Clarissa[/name] since to me they are both vintagy, hipster names. They are very pretty names!