We're torn between these girl names!

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everyone!

My SO and I really love the following first names for our first baby girl on the way. I’d love to hear anyone’s thoughts, advice, and preferences if you’re willing to share! I’ve literally been losing sleep over this hard decision. Thanks in advance:

Top 4:
[name_f]Perri[/name_f] (or [name_u]Perry[/name_u])
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] (or [name_m]Rowyn[/name_m])
[name_u]Marlowe[/name_u]
[name_f]Lola[/name_f]

Her last name will be one syllable starting with H, and middle name will depend on whichever first name we choose (that’s for another future post, haha).

Thank you!!

In order, I like:

[name_u]Marlowe[/name_u]
[name_f]Lola[/name_f]
[name_u]Rowan[/name_u]
[name_u]Perry[/name_u] (maybe [name_f]Perrine[/name_f] nn [name_u]Perry[/name_u]?)
[name_f]Myla[/name_f]

But [name_u]Perry[/name_u] would grow on me! It’s a cool name. They’re all cool names. [name_f]Lola[/name_f] and [name_f]Myla[/name_f] more sultry sweet, and the others more boyish and confident. [name_u]Marlowe[/name_u] captures something arty too.

I know what I like and would pick from these name but I don’t know what you want your daughters name to project. Maybe it is more helpful to let you know what I immediately think when I hear each name.

[name_f]Perri[/name_f] (or [name_u]Perry[/name_u]) - playful, whimsical, a bit of a tomboy,

[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] (or [name_m]Rowyn[/name_m]) - natural, sunny, outdoorsy

[name_u]Marlowe[/name_u] - sophisticated, strong, classy

[name_f]Lola[/name_f] - down to earth, musical, red hair

[name_f]Myla[/name_f] - quiet, serious, thoughtful

I am not a fan of [name_f]Perri[/name_f] or [name_f]Lola[/name_f] at all, but I really like [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] and [name_u]Marlowe[/name_u]. [name_f]Perri[/name_f]/[name_u]Perry[/name_u] only makes me think of [name_u]Perry[/name_u] the Platypus from [name_m]Phineas[/name_m] and Ferb and [name_u]Perry[/name_u] from the book/TV show Big [name_m]Little[/name_m] Lies, unfortunately. Neither is a connection I would want for my child, let alone my daughter. I don’t have any negative associations with [name_f]Lola[/name_f], but it’s definitely just nms. [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] is soft and nature-y which I love for girls, but it’s not overly feminine. [name_u]Marlowe[/name_u] is spunky and cute.

Spelling [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] with a y seems to lend it a bit more femininity, so I’d be slightly tempted to spell it that way even though I don’t tend to love messing with the spelling of names.

I like [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] and [name_u]Marlowe[/name_u] best. I also like [name_u]Rowen[/name_u] spelt like this, but not [name_m]Rowyn[/name_m].

I am not really a fan of unisex names for girls, so [name_f]Lola[/name_f] would be my favourite name from your list.

I like [name_u]Peri[/name_u]/[name_f]Perri[/name_f] and [name_u]Rowan[/name_u]

[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] and [name_u]Marlowe[/name_u] get 5 stars from me.

I like [name_u]Rowan[/name_u], and you could also go for [name_f]Rowena[/name_f] if you’re trying to make it more feminine

[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] and [name_u]Perry[/name_u] are my favourites…both are adorable, spunky, and fun! [name_f]Lola[/name_f] is sweet too.

My least favourites are [name_m]Rowyn[/name_m] and [name_f]Perri[/name_f]. I think these spellings take away from the breezy, carefree nature of these names.

For me it’s definitely between [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] or [name_f]Lola[/name_f] (not [name_m]Rowyn[/name_m], if you want it to be more ‘feminine’ then I think you should use [name_f]Rowena[/name_f]).

[name_f]Lola[/name_f] is sweet and spunky and just lovely! Some people might feel it’s a bit insubstantial but personally I love it - as a [name_u]Brit[/name_u] ‘nickname names’ are very normal to me so [name_f]Lola[/name_f] seems perfect - it was almost the name of one of my cousins, but in the end she was named [name_f]Lotta[/name_f].

[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] is also lovely, very unisex which I enjoy - it doesn’t massively lean one way or the other unlike other names which are termed unisex. It’s a very solid choice.

I’m sort of stuck between the sweet and soft [name_f]Lola[/name_f] or the solid and charming [name_u]Rowan[/name_u]. I’d probably say that between those two you can’t go wrong! [name_f]Lola[/name_f] [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] would be a stunning combo.

[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] is my favorite! [name_u]Marlowe[/name_u] second :slight_smile:

[name_f]Lola[/name_f] is my favorite! I also like [name_u]Perry[/name_u]. The other two don’t appeal to me at all.

I would rank them:

[name_u]Rowan[/name_u] (I like the woodsy/gaelic vibe. It leans masculine for me but useable on a girl.)
[name_u]Marlowe[/name_u] (I used to think this was too trendy but it’s growing on me. I like the [name_m]Christopher[/name_m] [name_u]Marlowe[/name_u] connection.)
[name_f]Lola[/name_f] (Pretty and fun. Downside is the sexy connotations from the song and [name_f]Lolita[/name_f] which I wouldn’t love to put on a daughter.)
[name_u]Perry[/name_u] (reminds me of [name_u]Terry[/name_u] which sounds dated. Also definitely a masculine name to me.)

Thanks for all of your opinions! It seems like the majority would choose [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] as the the top choice out of those, at least so far. Hearing what people think about when they hear the names is really great to know. Thanks again!!

My favourite is [name_f]Lola[/name_f]. I love the spunkiness in it, I always picture an independent, a little bit rebellious little girl with brown hair, brown eyes. [name_u]Love[/name_u] it. [name_f]Lola[/name_f] is a great name. :slight_smile:

My second would be [name_u]Marlowe[/name_u].

Definitely [name_f]Lola[/name_f]! It’s very light, fun, girly and spunky! The other names on your list remind me of dog names or boy names. Good luck! :slight_smile:

I like all these names. I would definitely go with the spellings [name_u]Perry[/name_u] and [name_u]Rowan[/name_u], which feel more intuitive and serious.

[name_f]Lola[/name_f] is a nice name but with a slightly childish, nicknamey feel, so if you choose it I would ground it with a sturdy middle name.

I absolutely love [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] and [name_f]Lola[/name_f]!

I have to put in a strong vote for [name_u]Perry[/name_u] because I know a little [name_u]Perry[/name_u] Grae and she is the cutest! At first, I was unsure about the name, but having seen a child wear it, I think it’s so usable and cute!

I’d say my favorites are [name_u]Marlowe[/name_u], [name_u]Perry[/name_u], and [name_u]Rowan[/name_u] (in that order).