We've Narrowed It Down To A Few ... What's Your Opinion?

After much talking with family/friends… and of course a little help from the husband :), I’ve narrowed it down to a few names. I have to say… choosing a name makes this baby feel so much more real… aside from buying baby stuff and getting the nursery ready, this has to be my favorite part of being pregnant :). It’s funny though how much weight a name carries… anyway, here are some of my favorites.

GIRLS:

[name]Beatrice[/name] - I love that this name has family meaning and I love the nn [name]Bea[/name], I’ve gotten rave reviews from my older relatives, however not so rave reviews from the younger crowd

[name]Ramona[/name] - after reading some reviews and talking to friends, I’m unsure about this, it doesn’t have a stand out nn that I like, and that’s something I really wanted, in case the child doesn’t want such a weighty “old-fashioned” name

[name]Eleanora[/name] - I’m really in love with this name, I have a great aunt [name]Eleanor[/name], and I think the “a” at the end really adds a feminine touch, it also has plenty of great nicknames, an extra bonus: friends/relatives have all given this name rave reviews

[name]Georgia[/name] - again… so cute! It has such a cute, southern belle, grandma feel which I love

[name]Helena[/name] - (hel-lee-nah) I love that this name has family ties and a distinctly girly feel to it

[name]Josephine[/name] - I like it, the only thing that’s holding me back - I know a [name]Josephine[/name] who is extremely prissy and stuck up (sorry [name]Lola[/name] - I’m sure your [name]Josephine[/name] is very nice) and I can’t seem to get that image out of my mind - does your image change when you actually see your own baby?

[name]Eloise[/name] - my mother really loves this name and I do too. It has such a classic, quirky, yet beautiful girly feel to it… again, it has great nn’s

[name]Rubie[/name] - I really love this name, one of my favorites, it sounds really strong, yet is distinctly feminine, is it getting too popular?

[name]Vivienne[/name] - I think this is a beautiful name with great nn’s, but sort of conjours an image of a very rich prissy type Victorian aged girl - maybe this is another one where the image will go away once I see my own baby

BOYS:

[name]George[/name] - This is a front runner for me. I’m really falling in love with this name, it’s so cute, especially with the nn [name]Georgie[/name], what kills me is that if I use this name, [name]Georgia[/name] would be out for future siblings… I really don’t know what to do with this one

[name]Frank[/name] - I really like the nn [name]Frankie[/name], another one of my front runners… I’ve gotten mixed reviews with friends/family… I’m curious to see what you think

[name]Henry[/name] - I like this name a lot and it has family meaning… two problems though, it seems to be getting quite popular, and it doesn’t have any good nn’s which was something I really wanted… family loves it though

[name]Dexter[/name] - I love this name, and it works well for a first child… if a boy, b/c the first boy in each family 3 generations back has had a “D” name - this really isn’t something I feel pressured into doing, but it’s an extra quirk… the only problem, it doesn’t seem to fit very well with the other names I like.

I’m hoping to get my short list shortened pretty quickly… about two weeks to go - hopefully this baby isn’t too early :). Some middle name suggestions would be great too. Also, I love the idea of two middle name’s but I’m wondering if it’s really all the hassle it’s made out to be for future forms/papers/applications - would it be better to just stick with one middle name?

Again… thank you SO much for all your help!

[name]Hi[/name] there, and congratulations on narrowing down the list. I listed many middle name suggestions on your other post, so maybe you could read some of them there. I’ll do my best to remember some of my favorites!

[name]Beatrice[/name] - I love that this name has family meaning and I love the nn [name]Bea[/name], I’ve gotten rave reviews from my older relatives, however not so rave reviews from the younger crowd

I like [name]Beatrice[/name], too, and the fact that it has family meaning makes it even more special. As for your peers, ignore them, and go with your gut. [name]Remember[/name] that many of your peers (heck, all of our peers!) probably like trendy names that just aren’t our style!

[name]Ramona[/name] - after reading some reviews and talking to friends, I’m unsure about this, it doesn’t have a stand out nn that I like, and that’s something I really wanted, in case the child doesn’t want such a weighty “old-fashioned” name

I’m not a fan of [name]Ramona[/name] for my own child, but it would be nice to see it on another’s. I’m turned off by the “[name]Mona[/name]” nickname potential, a problem that could be avoided by putting it in the middle name slot.

[name]Eleanora[/name] - I’m really in love with this name, I have a great aunt [name]Eleanor[/name], and I think the “a” at the end really adds a feminine touch, it also has plenty of great nicknames, an extra bonus: friends/relatives have all given this name rave reviews

I really love this name, too, as well as the added “a.” You love nicknames, and this name sure has a plethora of them, which makes it a really great pick for you.

[name]Georgia[/name] - again… so cute! It has such a cute, southern belle, grandma feel which I love

I’m also a fan of [name]Georgia[/name]. It’s simple, yet elegant, and stands apart from other names while still fitting in.

[name]Helena[/name] - (hel-lee-nah) I love that this name has family ties and a distinctly girly feel to it

I’d mispronounce it as Hel-len-uh (one of my favorites), but if the whole pronunciation thing doesn’t bother you, go for it!

[name]Josephine[/name] - I like it, the only thing that’s holding me back - I know a [name]Josephine[/name] who is extremely prissy and stuck up (sorry [name]Lola[/name] - I’m sure your [name]Josephine[/name] is very nice) and I can’t seem to get that image out of my mind - does your image change when you actually see your own baby?

I love [name]Josephine[/name], too, but couldn’t use a name with which I have any icky associations. I’ve had to cancel out many beautiful names because of this, such as [name]Jane[/name]. :frowning:

[name]Eloise[/name] - my mother really loves this name and I do too. It has such a classic, quirky, yet beautiful girly feel to it… again, it has great nn’s

[name]Love[/name] it! I love, love [name]Eloise[/name]! I second everything you wrote above!

[name]Rubie[/name] - I really love this name, one of my favorites, it sounds really strong, yet is distinctly feminine, is it getting too popular?

It is indeed becoming very popular, but if you love it, use it! I still prefer the [name]Ruby[/name] spelling, as the above loses its classic roots and looks like a typo of [name]Rubin[/name].

[name]Vivienne[/name] - I think this is a beautiful name with great nn’s, but sort of conjours an image of a very rich prissy type Victorian aged girl - maybe this is another one where the image will go away once I see my own baby

It’s important that you’re comfortable with the image a name creates for you, and we all have different associations with different names. If that’s the image you get with [name]Vivienne[/name] (I get dainty, sweet, and vivacious), it’s probably not a good pick for you.

BOYS:

[name]George[/name] - This is a front runner for me. I’m really falling in love with this name, it’s so cute, especially with the nn [name]Georgie[/name], what kills me is that if I use this name, [name]Georgia[/name] would be out for future siblings… I really don’t know what to do with this one

Well, I think it’s important to note that while [name]George[/name] is your front runner, it doesn’t sound like [name]Georgia[/name] is your front running Girl’s name. It would be a shame to prevent yourself from using [name]George[/name] because of a hypothetical daughter you may have someday. (What if it’s another boy?)

From your descriptions above, you seem much more enthusiastic about [name]Beatrice[/name], [name]Eleanora[/name], [name]Helena[/name], and [name]Eloise[/name]. If you love [name]George[/name], seize the opportunity and use it! (I would, but you need to listen to your gut.)

[name]Frank[/name] - I really like the nn [name]Frankie[/name], another one of my front runners… I’ve gotten mixed reviews with friends/family… I’m curious to see what you think

I’m just not a fan of [name]Frank[/name], and associate [name]Frankie[/name] with [name]Francesca[/name]'s nickname.

[name]Henry[/name] - I like this name a lot and it has family meaning… two problems though, it seems to be getting quite popular, and it doesn’t have any good nn’s which was something I really wanted… family loves it though

[name]Henry[/name] is one of my favorites, and like you, I’m concerned about its popularity. However, personally, I don’t think anything could stop me from using it. The nickname issue is understandable, so perhaps you could put [name]Henry[/name] in the second slot as a middle name?

[name]Dexter[/name] - I love this name, and it works well for a first child… if a boy, b/c the first boy in each family 3 generations back has had a “D” name - this really isn’t something I feel pressured into doing, but it’s an extra quirk… the only problem, it doesn’t seem to fit very well with the other names I like.

[name]Dexter[/name] is indeed funky, but no more than [name]Ramona[/name]! In fact, they are a perfect fit for one another. I love [name]Dexter[/name], but its one of those names I’d like to see on someone else’s child. It’s too quirky for me, but that’s just me.

(*=favorites, based on what you wrote above)

[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Eleanora[/name]*
[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Ruby[/name]*
[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Ruby[/name]*
[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] [name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Eloise[/name] [name]Ruby[/name]*

[name]Ramona[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Ramona[/name] [name]Ruby[/name]

[name]Eleanora[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name] *
[name]Eleanora[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Eleanora[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Ruby[/name]*
[name]Eleanora[/name] [name]Josephine[/name] [name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Eleanora[/name] [name]Vivienne[/name]
[name]Eleanora[/name] [name]Vivienne[/name] [name]Ruby[/name]

[name]Georgia[/name] [name]Ruby[/name]*
[name]Georgia[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name]*
[name]Georgia[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Ruby[/name]*
[name]Georgia[/name] [name]Ruby[/name] [name]Eloise[/name]*
[name]Georgia[/name] [name]Eloise[/name] [name]Ruby[/name]*

[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Eleanora[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Eloise[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Josephine[/name] [name]Eloise[/name] [name]Ruby[/name]

[name]Eloise[/name] [name]Ramona[/name] *
[name]Eloise[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name] [name]Ruby[/name]*
[name]Eloise[/name] [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Ruby[/name]*
[name]Eloise[/name] [name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Eloise[/name] [name]Georgia[/name] [name]Ruby[/name]*

[name]Ruby[/name] [name]Ramona[/name]*
[name]Ruby[/name] [name]Eleanora[/name]*
[name]Ruby[/name] [name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name] [name]Eloise[/name]*
[name]Ruby[/name] [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name] [name]Eleanora[/name] [name]Josephine[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name] [name]Ramona[/name] [name]Eloise[/name]

Boys:
[name]Henry[/name] [name]George[/name]*
[name]Dexter[/name] [name]George[/name]*
[name]George[/name] [name]Henry[/name]*
[name]Frank[/name] [name]Dexter[/name]*
[name]Dexter[/name] [name]Frank[/name]
[name]Henry[/name] [name]Dexter[/name]*
[name]George[/name] [name]Dexter[/name]*
[name]George[/name] [name]Felix[/name]
[name]George[/name] [name]Oliver[/name]
[name]George[/name] [name]Franklin[/name]

You can’t go wrong!
Edited to add: If you love both [name]Georgia[/name] and [name]George[/name], that’s saying something, and you should listen to your heart! What about using [name]George[/name] or [name]Georgia[/name] for your first child? [name]Do[/name] you prefer a little boy named [name]George[/name] to a little girl named [name]Georgia[/name]? If you use [name]Georgia[/name], will you be disappointed about not using [name]George[/name], or would you be more upset by using [name]George[/name] and not being able to use [name]Georgia[/name]?

We have a [name]Henry[/name] and while it does seem to be slowly climbing the charts it brings me great comfort (as only a name addict can understand :slight_smile: to know it’s been hovering around the 100-mark on SSA findings since the 60’s. Classic, not trendy! We’ve yet to bump into another little [name]Henry[/name] and we receive so many compliments on his names.

You have great name taste :slight_smile: Many of my favs: [name]George[/name], [name]Eleanora[/name], [name]Beatrice[/name], [name]Henry[/name] (makes a great sib-set)! All the best!!

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Vivienne[/name] and [name]Eloise[/name] for girls :slight_smile: Great names!

For boys I love [name]George[/name] and [name]Henry[/name], without a doubt. And for girls I really like [name]Georgia[/name] and [name]Helena[/name]- the others are nice, but those two definitely stand out :slight_smile: