What a weird phrase!

there are some VERY weird phrases out there! also because there are berries all over the world there will be different ones from different cultures…so write some of the ones you like best (and the oddest) here :grin:

1 Like

and make up your own as well! :crazy_face:

I think ‘[name_m]Bob[/name_m]’s your uncle’ is a weird phrase. [name_f]My[/name_f] mum says it all the time because her uncle is actually called [name_m]Bob[/name_m] so she finds it extra funny😂

6 Likes

what about “as rare as hens teeth”
do chickens even have teeth?

1 Like

same! I have an Onkel [name_m]Bob[/name_m] too!!

jackpot (it sounds gross sorry and what the heck does it mean?)

The Cream of the Crop

1 Like

A chip on your shoulder

Once in a blue moon seems really weird until you read the [name_f]Mary[/name_f] Poppins book where they talk about it. Granted, [name_f]Mary[/name_f] Poppins is fictional, but it actually makes sense

1 Like

It means to “win big”, as it were. I found this really succinct explanation of the etymology, which I thought made perfect sense:
“The term was originally used in a form of poker, where the pool or pot accumulated until a player could open the bidding with two jacks or better.”

2 Likes

ohhhh that makes so much sense thank you!!! :grin:

1 Like

I always thought “to have a monkey on your back” was an odd one. Monkeys are so cute and clever, how do they equate to such a grim meaning?? 🤷

A common one here is “flat out like a lizard drinking” (which means to be insanely busy), but it never really made sense to me… does drinking take a lot of time for lizards? Are the super quick drinkers? I don’t get the connections. 🤷

1 Like

“Grasping at straws”
“For [name_m]Pete[/name_m]’s sake”
“Off the hook”

[name_f]My[/name_f] friend makes fun of me because I’ll say “we’ll burn that bridge when we get there.” Has the same feel as “cross that bridge” but I’m already assuming I’m gonna screw it up somehow :grin:

1 Like

OOOH for crying out loud

and good grief

and my stars and stockings

all of which I say (the last one least frequently)

1 Like

Nah - it’s just that a lizard is flat and can’t get much flatter. So when you’re flat out like a lizard drinking, you’re as flat out as it gets.

She’s the cat’s pyjamas is an odd, old phrase.

I am aware no one says it anymore, but the bee’s knees? [name_f]Do[/name_f] bees even have knees? What is inherently good about the knees of a bee?

I’ve not heard that at all! What’s the meaning?

I think the fact that they don’t is the whole point! Hens’ teeth are are VERY rare (like they don’t even exist rare). Like talking about something being “like drawing blood from a stone” - that sure is one impossible task…

2 Likes

“That’s beans” - apparently that means that’s cool but huh?
“That’s cheese” - that sucks

What is with all the food!!??