What about Chord?

[name_u]Early[/name_u] on in this baby naming process I added the “name” Chord to my list because I thought it would go nicely with [name_u]Harmony[/name_u]. I didn’t really give it much thought after that, but since my little guy is due next month, I am scrambling for a name.

I’m worried it may violate my “needs to be easy to spell” rule because it is not commonly used as a name, so perhaps people will spell it “[name_m]Cord[/name_m]” instead. Other than that I like it because it is similar to one of our top choices, [name_m]Cole[/name_m], goes well with our last name, fits in with our daughter’s name but I’m a little worried it may be too matchy and too difficult for people to spell or pronounce.

Any honest thoughts on adding Chord to our family?

Thanks!

Honestly, [name_u]Harmony[/name_u] and Chord as siblings just feels corny to me. I would stick with [name_m]Cole[/name_m].

I like [name_m]Cole[/name_m] better. Chord seems too matchy and corny with [name_u]Harmony[/name_u], sorry.

When I read the title I thought it was pronounced with the hard “tch” sound. I didn’t understand until I saw it paired with [name_u]Harmony[/name_u], and I do agree that it is pretty corny to have them together. It doesn’t really sound that good as a name. I think [name_m]Cole[/name_m] is perfectly fine.

Unfortunately [name_m]Cole[/name_m] doesn’t work well for us because our last name starts with an L so [name_m]Cole[/name_m] and [name_m]Langston[/name_m] run together (sounds like [name_m]Cole[/name_m] Angston). [name_m]Even[/name_m] though [name_m]Cole[/name_m] has been on our name list since 2009, we have some friends that have used it so we’d like to find something that hasn’t already been “taken”.

Thanks for the feedback.

What about these other quirky C names?

[name_u]Concord[/name_u] - Similar to Chord, but works much better with [name_u]Harmony[/name_u] imo.
[name_u]Cobalt[/name_u]
[name_m]Colton[/name_m]
[name_m]Colt[/name_m]
[name_u]Corin[/name_u]
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m]
[name_m]Cormac[/name_m]
[name_m]Conway[/name_m]
[name_u]Corbin[/name_u]
[name_m]Cortez[/name_m]
[name_m]Cosimo[/name_m]
[name_m]Cosmo[/name_m]
[name_m]Cassius[/name_m]
[name_m]Cedric[/name_m]
[name_u]Cruz[/name_u]

[name_f]Hope[/name_f] this helps :slight_smile:

I think the concept of a music-related name is fine, though I’m not big on Chord, mostly because it sounds like “cord” and just doesn’t really have an attractive sound [name_f]IMO[/name_f]. Names like [name_u]Reed[/name_u], [name_u]Fifer[/name_u], or [name_u]Fife[/name_u] would be subtler choices; some more obviously matchy names like [name_u]Lyric[/name_u], [name_u]Guitar[/name_u], or [name_u]Banjo[/name_u] I think might work as well if you want the full experience. Alternatively you might consider names related to artists or genres you particularly enjoy: [name_m]Davis[/name_m] (jazz), [name_u]Porter[/name_u] (musical theatre), etc.

The actor Chord Overstreet has a sistar called [name_u]Harmony[/name_u], so technically, it has been done before.
Anyway, I really like @bibliophile suggestions.

My first thought was [name_m]Chance[/name_m]. Short and beginning with C. I also strangely enough like [name_u]Sonny[/name_u] for you. Familiar but uncommon names ending in Y. Also [name_u]Sonny[/name_u] [name_m]Langston[/name_m] is really handsome.

[name_m]Chance[/name_m] is actually my husband’s number 1 choice, we’ve just been hesitant because of the reaction of his family, equating it to a dog’s name :frowning:

I absolutely love the name Chord, and it works well with [name_u]Harmony[/name_u]!