What about Roxanne?

[name]Hi[/name], my partner and I chose [name]Roxanne[/name] for our first baby girl but we’re worried about the familys’ and friends’ reaction. What do you think about our [name]Roxy[/name]?

I’m really curious what people have to say about this one. I’ve always loved it and suggested it early on fir my baby girl due in [name]October[/name]. My husband said it made him think of a girl with a black eye! I totally disagree! Can’t wait to hear what others think.

I actually like [name]Roxanne[/name] a lot. I do associate it with the Sting song, which is about a prostitute, but I can easily look past that association and I think most other people can too. I think often people think it’s a bit too exotic because it is often used as “bad-girl” type name (the song, the Chicago character) plus it has the “x-factor” which makes names seem exotic. But, the reason I think [name]Roxanne[/name] works is that’s it’s pretty flexible as a name. [name]Roxy[/name] is spunky and very cool. I picture a girl named [name]Roxy[/name] being very outgoing, fun to be around and confident. If your daughter turns out to be a quieter more laid-back type of person then she can go by [name]Anne[/name], [name]Annie[/name] or [name]Ro[/name]. As an adult, [name]Roxanne[/name] is a strong, sold name for a woman. Great choice!

[name]Roxanne[/name] is a name that seems very sexy to me. I see [name]Roxanne[/name] as someone who wears a lot of makeup and always dresses in black, and is very quiet and mysterious.

Thanks a lot for the remarks, I do also feel that [name]Roxanne[/name] is not necessarily a girly girl type of name but we dont plan to raise a perfect princess. There was [name]Corinna[/name] from my partner’s side, which I feel too girly, but adorable indeed, and there was [name]Portia[/name] from my side, which I still secretly wish, so [name]Roxanne[/name] is a perfect compromise on both sides. [name]Roxanne[/name] has the harder consonants and power like [name]Portia[/name] and the softly nasal double “n” with an “a” as in [name]Corinna[/name].

I think [name]Roxanna[/name]/[name]Roxana[/name] may be a bit softer, as well as distance it from the Sting song. It seems a bit more current this way as well, as most -a variants–[name]Susanna[/name], [name]Joanna[/name], [name]Diana[/name], are more popular than the -e versions–[name]Susanne[/name], [name]Joanne[/name], [name]Diane[/name]. Either way, though, [name]Roxy[/name] is adorable.

I definitely agree that [name]Roxanna[/name] is softer.

I don’t know if you watch soaps but other than the whole (sorry but) stripper vibe I get from [name]Roxanne[/name] it reminds me of a character on One Life To Live ([name]Roxanne[/name] [name]Balsam[/name]) who is drunk all the time.

With [name]Roxanna[/name] I don’t get that vibe.

As soon as I read your post, I immediately thought that [name]Roxanna[/name] is the way to go. I see others already beat me to making the suggestion, but I still wanted to chime in and add another vote for [name]Roxanna[/name] over [name]Roxanne[/name]. If you love the sound of the name and the [name]Roxy[/name] nickname (which is adorable) there’s really nothing to lose by adding the a on the end, but it seems there is everything to gain. With one letter all the negative associations are wiped away and you have a name that feels so much warmer and more charming and suitable for a little girl.

I love both [name]Roxanne[/name] and [name]Roxana[/name], so I don’t think you can go wrong. I don’t get a “stripper” vibe from [name]Roxanne[/name] at all, I think it’s very chic and sophisticated without being aloof, if you know what I mean. [name]Roxanne[/name] sounds like a girl who could go out and be a kick-butt softball player and still take ballet lessons. Plus [name]Roxie[/name]/[name]Roxy[/name] is just such a darling nickname.

I think [name]Roxy[/name]/[name]Roxie[/name] is cute. I would go with [name]Roxanna[/name] as well.

Why don’t you just call her [name]Roxy[/name] (on the birth certificate). I notice in everyone’s posts that American’s like to have a fullname and then a nickname. Is this true? Why is this?

Thanks again for the comments, you help me a lot. Partner and I discuss every remark you make considering [name]Roxy[/name]'s name, it’s very entertaining and we can’t wait to call her by this name. I’d say we’ll skip [name]Roxanna[/name] since it turns the name into a three-syllabelled one and we already have a long surname. In the meantime we offered the grandmothers to call the baby [name]Ronnie[/name] so it’s not so modern for them but I know they will fall in love with “[name]Roxy[/name]” if they meet the name-owner in person:) I was a bit concerned about the bad girl feeling of [name]Roxy[/name] but you helped me to look at it in another way.

Thanks again for the comments, you help me a lot. Partner and I discuss every remark you make considering [name]Roxy[/name]'s name, it’s very entertaining and we can’t wait to call her by this name. I’d say we’ll skip [name]Roxanna[/name] since it turns the name into a three-syllabelled one and we already have a long surname. In the meantime we offered the grandmothers to call the baby [name]Ronnie[/name] so it’s not so modern for them but I know they will fall in love with “[name]Roxy[/name]” if they meet the name-owner in person:) I was a bit concerned about the bad girl feeling of [name]Roxy[/name] but you helped me to look at it in another way.

Thanks again for your comments, you’re helping me a lot. Partner and I discuss your remarks every day, it’s so entertaining, we can’t wait to call our baby girl [name]Roxy[/name]. We offered the grannies to nickname her [name]Ronnie[/name] so it’s not too modern for them but I’m sure they will fall in love with “[name]Roxy[/name]” when they meet the name-owner in person. I’d say we’ll skip [name]Roxanna[/name] since it turns the name into a three-syllable one and we already have a long family name. I personally adore the name [name]Anne[/name], and we can preserve it this way. I was a bit concerned about the bad girl feeling of “[name]Roxy[/name]” but with your comments I’m assured that people can look at it in another way, if they want to.

I’ve spent the whole morning with this comment, the rubbish internet going on and off, so this is the result, sorry :slight_smile:

I wouldn’t go with [name]Roxy[/name] in itself since she decides to be a judge it wouldn’t sound as a grown up. That’s why I dont like [name]Lily[/name], as an example. She can use [name]Roxanne[/name] only in her signatures, if she wishes. By the way, I’m Hungarian as you all can see in my English and in Hungary giving a nickname in the certificate is really not in fashion. But thats a good idea, indeed.