What about Sally?

[name]Hi[/name], I’m new to the list! My husband and I are expecting our first baby in [name]April[/name] - we just found out it’s a girl and we’re psyched! We’d like to honor my husband’s late grandfather, [name]Sol[/name] ([name]Solomon[/name])… We love [name]Sally[/name] [name]Rose[/name] ([name]Rose[/name] was my lovely grandmother), but friends, family and colleagues do not seem that enthused about [name]Sally[/name]. Thoughts? Opinions? Suggestions? We’re also open to other “S” names - as first or second… just not a lot out there… [name]Sabrina[/name] [name]Rose[/name]? [name]Sarah[/name] [name]Rose[/name]? [name]Don[/name]'t want to pick a “bad” name… Open to any and all suggestions, thanks!!!

I don’t really care for [name]Sally[/name], sorry. To honor [name]Solomon[/name], you’ll have lots of great options if all you want to do is start with S - I love [name]Sabrina[/name] from the ones you mentioned - but you also may be able to find a good name that is more similar to [name]Solomon[/name]. I selected Search for Names, entered starts with [name]Sol[/name] for girls and it came up with a few that you might like. I like [name]Solana[/name] which is Spanish for sunshine and [name]Soloma[/name] which is Swahili for peace - [name]Solomon[/name] also means peace.

I think [name]Sally[/name] is sweet, but only when it is in its original nickname form for [name]Sarah[/name]. So [name]Sarah[/name] nn [name]Sally[/name] would get my vote.

What about the sleeker [name]Sabina[/name] instead of [name]Sabrina[/name]. Not only is it older (Ancient [name]Roman[/name]), it lacks the dated 70s quality (or “Teenage Witch” moniker).
It also has associations as “peace-maker” which fits nicely with [name]Solomon[/name]'s meaning of “peace”.

Other S names:

[name]Sabela[/name]
[name]Sabina[/name]
[name]Sabine[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name]
[name]Saoirse[/name] (sair-sha)
[name]Sapphira[/name]
[name]Selina[/name]
[name]Seraphine[/name]
[name]Seraphina[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Susannah[/name]

Meaning peace:

[name]Jemima[/name] – dove
[name]Mira[/name]
[name]Paloma[/name]
[name]Salome[/name] – this would be perfect as you could use [name]Sally[/name] as a nickname and it has the same meaning as [name]Solomon[/name].

I wouldn’t call my daughter [name]Sally[/name] either, but I love “[name]Rose[/name]” as a second name!! What about [name]Savannah[/name] or [name]Sulola[/name] - is that too far from [name]Sol[/name]?!? I also like [name]Marisol[/name] [name]Rose[/name], but it isn’t a S-name…

[name]Sally[/name] is a cute name, however to me it just seems average, run of the mill, nothing special, same goes for [name]Sarah[/name], [name]Sabrina[/name] I like the most out of the ones you listed.

S names that I like are:
[name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Sienna[/name]
[name]Sophia[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Serena[/name]
[name]Sophie[/name]

Personally I have always been quite fond of [name]Sally[/name].
Its spunky and fun. My only problem is that it sort of sounds liek it should be a NN for something.

[name]Salina[/name]/[name]Salena[/name]
[name]Salome[/name]

They’re the only ones I can think of.
But [name]Salina[/name] [name]Rose[/name] does sounds quite nice and she can be refered to as [name]Sally[/name].

Yep - I’m not a [name]Sally[/name] fan, either…

You could do something like [name]Rosalie[/name] [name]Soleil[/name], which honors both [name]Rose[/name] and [name]Solomon[/name], and call her [name]Rosa[/name], [name]Rosie[/name], or [name]Rose[/name]. Or, Sola [name]Rosalind[/name] would be very pretty. [name]Solana[/name] and [name]Solange[/name] are other names I can think of - [name]Solana[/name] would be my pick out of those two, and you could call her Sola or [name]Ana[/name]!

I don’t know if you are open to honoring [name]Solomon[/name] by using a name that has the same meaning, “peace”? If so, here are my suggestions for your daughter. [name]Frederica[/name], [name]Irena[/name], [name]Irene[/name], [name]Serenity[/name] (you could call her [name]Sera[/name]), and [name]Sorina[/name] are some options. I think [name]Serenity[/name] [name]Rose[/name] is very pretty, with the nickname [name]Sera[/name] (like [name]Sarah[/name]), or [name]Irena[/name] [name]Rosalie[/name] is very nice, too!

I think that [name]Sally[/name] is an absolutely darling name. It’s a classic, and feels sweet and spunky to me. I associate it with [name]Meg[/name] [name]Ryan[/name] in “When [name]Harry[/name] Met [name]Sally[/name]” and with [name]Sally[/name] [name]Field[/name]. [name]Every[/name] [name]Sally[/name] I’ve ever known (including a poster here who uses the screen name Salifer) has been kind, warm, bright, cheerful, and simply lovely.

While I generally prefer full names instead of diminutives, some diminutives have been used for so long that I now view them as names in and of themselves. I think of [name]Sally[/name] as a name in its own right, and the same goes for [name]Jill[/name] (my name, a diminutive of [name]Julia[/name]), and [name]Eliza[/name].

Other ways to honor [name]Solomon[/name] and/or [name]Rose[/name]:

[name]Rosalie[/name] (nn [name]Sally[/name])
[name]Susannah[/name] (I think this was suggested…I love it!)
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Sophia[/name] (but it’s so, so popular…)
[name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Rosalie[/name] (feels less “red rose” than [name]Scarlett[/name] [name]Rose[/name] to me)
[name]Simona[/name] [name]Rosalind[/name] (I pronounce [name]Rosalind[/name] with a Rahz sound)
[name]Rosalind[/name] [name]Scarlett[/name]
[name]Seraphina[/name]
Rosabel/[name]Rosabelle[/name]
[name]Rosalind[/name]
[name]Rosalba[/name]
[name]Rosaline[/name]

You may also like [name]Marisol[/name], which contains [name]Sol[/name].

I apologize for repeats!

Good luck!

I actually think [name]Sally[/name] is really cute! I like that it’s a name everyone is familiar with, yet it’s pretty uncommon among kids. I don’t really think of it as run-of-the-mill because you just don’t hear it much. Names like [name]Emily[/name] and [name]Sarah[/name] are much more run-of-the-mill to me.

A lot of the other names suggested are really pretty, though!

Wow. Thanks, everyone, for your thoughtful replies!!! Lots to think about… was secretly hoping for more [name]Sally[/name] fans, but glad there are a few!!! [name]Will[/name] put it on the back burner for now… going through your suggestions, right now the list would be:

[name]Solana[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Stella[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Sabrina[/name] [name]Rose[/name] (now lukewarm)
[name]Sarah[/name] [name]Rose[/name] (blah, but still like it!)
[name]Seraphina[/name]/ [name]Seraphine[/name] [name]Rose[/name] (so pretty!)

• I also love [name]Susannah[/name] but no so much the nn [name]Sue[/name]… -same goes for [name]Sulola[/name]…
    [name]Salina[/name] [name]Rose[/name] (thanks, kiki - yes, could use nn [name]Sally[/name] here!)
  • I do love [name]Salome[/name], but DH says no way!
    Sola [name]Rosalind[/name] (so lovely, thanks!) - also love Sola [name]Rose[/name] (stuck on [name]Rose[/name]…)
    … and [name]Sally[/name] [name]Rose[/name] will stay on the list for now! :wink:

Again, so much thanks!!! :smiley:

I’m glad you found some possibilities. :slight_smile: I thought I’d mention that if I ever use [name]Susannah[/name], I plan on using [name]Annie[/name] as a nickname, not [name]Sue[/name] or [name]Susie[/name]. [name]Annie[/name] may be a stretch for you to use with [name]Susannah[/name], but I thought I’d suggest it just in case. :slight_smile:

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I am not personally a fan of [name]Sally[/name]… I think of [name]Sally[/name] [name]Hansen[/name] products… wax, nail polish and so on. But no one else said that so maybe it’s just me.

I really like [name]Susannah[/name], and you could definitely call her [name]Anna[/name] or [name]Annie[/name]

I like the name [name]Sally[/name]! I think my husband would have liked to use it, but we have a [name]Jane[/name], and I thought it too much right out of the [name]Dick[/name] and [name]Jane[/name] books ([name]Dick[/name] and [name]Jane[/name] have a little sister named [name]Sally[/name]). To me, its both cute and down-to-earth, and enough of its own name for any adult. Kind of like [name]Annie[/name] really.

Thanks again!!! -and to jill and noelle, I never would have thought of [name]Annie[/name] as a nn for [name]Susannah[/name] - love it!!! (so does DH!) And I laughed at danal’s comment about names sounding too much like the D &J books… we realized our original favorite names are from the Peanuts gang! [name]Sally[/name], [name]Lucy[/name], and [name]Charlie[/name]!!! :wink: Good to have so many possibilities… I’m sure I’ll be back for advice… many thanks again!!! :smiley: --j

I love [name]Charlie[/name] [name]Brown[/name] names too! Our cat is [name]Lucy[/name] so when a feline friend showed up for her, we named him [name]Linus[/name]. I think this baby that I’m about to have in a few hours by c-section (ah!!!) will be a [name]Charlie[/name], but my husband is now having last minute second thoughts - of course, if its a girl, we’re saved.

I love [name]Charlie[/name] [name]Brown[/name] names too! Our cat is [name]Lucy[/name] so when a feline friend showed up for her, we named him [name]Linus[/name]. I think this baby that I’m about to have in a few hours by c-section (ah!!!) will be a [name]Charlie[/name], but my husband is now having last minute second thoughts - of course, if its a girl, we’re saved.[/quote]

Oh my! Big big congrats and all the best!!! Keep the list posted!!! :smiley:

I think [name]Sally[/name] on it’s own is a fine name! My 4-year-old niece is [name]Sally[/name] and while it’s a common name where I come from, I think it could use to be a little more loved and used in the states!

I’m so happy you like [name]Susannah[/name], nn [name]Annie[/name]! It’s one of my favorites! :slight_smile: I’m also glad that you’re keeping [name]Sally[/name] on the list, because I personally think it’s a fantastic name. (I also love how underused it is in the U.S…) I only know of one young [name]Sally[/name], and she’s a sister to [name]Oliver[/name] and [name]Henry[/name]. :slight_smile:

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile:

[name]Annie[/name] is a really cute nn for [name]Susannah[/name], I’ve enver thought of it before. I’m also happy you are keeping [name]Sally[/name] on your list; it’s nice how it rhymes with the uber-popular [name]Ally[/name], yet stands out from it.

Not a big fan of [name]Sally[/name].

I think [name]Saydie[/name] [name]Rose[/name] would be a gorgeous name! Also you can play with the spelling if you want something visually different. Saydey [name]Rose[/name], [name]Saydee[/name] [name]Rose[/name], [name]Saidie[/name] [name]Rose[/name] . . . :slight_smile: Congrats!