What about the name August??

I’ve heard a lot of people say that [name]August[/name] is a ‘boys’ name, but it is a name that my husband and I like for a girl. What are you thoughts on this name? I just found out that [name]Garth[/name] [name]Brooks[/name] name his daughter [name]August[/name] [name]Anna[/name] (born in the 90s), and it seems to be acceptable as a boy or girl name.

My husband and I like the name:

[name]August[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name]

I appreciate your thoughts and suggestions!

Thank you!

I do like the name [name]August[/name]–for a boy, although I prefer [name]Augustin[/name]. I have to agree with what you have already heard, that [name]August[/name] on its own has a masculine feel and your daughter would definitely be misinterpreted as a male on paper. What about [name]Augusta[/name]? I absolutely love it, and the -a ending gives it an instant feminine uplift and classic air. [name]August[/name] for a girl jut doesn’t do it for me…

I think [name]Auguste[/name] (with an “e”) makes it more feminine. However, i don’t mid [name]August[/name] on a girl. Auggie is a feminine nn that im sure will be used, and fits right in with the [name]Aggie[/name]'s, [name]Hattie[/name]'s etc.
I think the reason why [name]August[/name] [name]Anna[/name] works is because of the feminized version of [name]August[/name], [name]Augustina[/name] which sounds very similar to [name]August[/name] [name]Anna[/name]. But if you love the name [name]August[/name] i think you should go for it!

Personally, I don’t like [name]August[/name] for a girl at all. I don’t see anything pretty or even remotely feminine about the name; it’s a bit clunky to me, and sounds nothing like a girls name to my ears. I’d definitely assume a kid named [name]August[/name] was a boy. However, if both of you are totally in love with it, it really doesn’t matter what I think, and you’ve picked a very distinctly feminine name to balance out the masculine first, which is smart. So I’d look for an alternative (my suggestion would be [name]Auden[/name]), but if you really love [name]August[/name] and nothing else, then go for it.

I could see it on a girl. Go for it!

Not a fan of this name for a girl. I would use [name]Augusta[/name] or [name]Autumn[/name] instead.

I love [name]August[/name] and it’s on my list- for a boy. It just sounds masculine to me, whereas [name]Augusta[/name] sounds super feminine. But if you love it, go for it. [name]August[/name] [name]Evangeline[/name] sounds lovely together.

[name]Alexis[/name]

I dig the name [name]August[/name] for a girl. [name]Augustin[/name]/[name]Augustine[/name] makes me think of the male [name]Saint[/name]'s name.

I’m guessing the reason people are telling you [name]August[/name] is a boy’s name is because it is a boy’s name. This is just an example of what’ll be happening her whole life-- people thinking she’s a boy. And I’m biased because I hate surnames/boy’s names on girls, but I think there’s absolutely nothing feminine about it.

I really like [name]Augusta[/name], though. You can still call her [name]August[/name] if you want, but in school and in professional situations it’ll be clear that she’s a girl, not a boy.