What about Thurston?

Hello berries,
I usually have hard time finding new boy names, but I have really fallen in love with [name_m]Thurston[/name_m]. It’s a Norse name that is said to mean “[name_m]Thor[/name_m]'s stone”. I like that it is unusual but not overly complicated or weird. I probably won’t shorten it to [name_m]Thor[/name_m]. What do you think of it?
As for middle names, I like [name_m]Thurston[/name_m] [name_m]Kurt[/name_m] or [name_m]Thurston[/name_m] [name_m]Atlas[/name_m], but they are not set in stone. I’d love some fresh ideas.
And suggestions of some other names that you think fit my style are welcome! Some names I love are in my signature.
Thanks in advance for your input.

Personally, it’s on my list of very pretentious names. Not only that, but [name_m]Thurston[/name_m] itself just sounds really bad, because of thirst. It’s just a strange word to include in a name.

I like [name_m]Thurston[/name_m]. It keeps with the boy names ending in N trend, but using a legitimate name.

[name_m]Thurston[/name_m] [name_m]Elijah[/name_m] (although I prefer them switched)
[name_m]Thurston[/name_m] [name_u]Rhys[/name_u]
[name_m]Thurston[/name_m] [name_m]Ozias[/name_m]
[name_m]Thurston[/name_m] St [name_m]John[/name_m]
[name_m]Thurston[/name_m] [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m]

It’s not my style. Im not really sure why, but it feels more like the name of a horse.

I like [name_m]Thurston[/name_m] [name_m]Atlas[/name_m], although then you’re really diving into mythological names, which might be hard to repeat if you guys decide to have multiple children.

I do think of thirst - like someone is thirsting for something.

Thank you all!
@pterodactyl, @toronto87: in my accent thurst and thirst sound a little different, so it’s not a problem.
@ottertails: Thanks, I am glad at least one person likes it. [name_m]Thurston[/name_m] [name_m]Peregrine[/name_m] is very handsome.

Gilligan’s Island! :stuck_out_tongue:

Not a fan really.

Well, thank you. I am honestly surprised at negative opinions as I thought [name_m]Thurston[/name_m] was a really nice name.

handsallover, don’t be discouraged! [name_m]Thurston[/name_m] is a handsome name and uncommon without being entirely off-radar. It has a cool meaning, and my positive association with it is the awesome musician [name_m]Thurston[/name_m] [name_m]Moore[/name_m], of Sonic Youth and [name_u]Chelsea[/name_u] [name_m]Light[/name_m] Moving. My partner and I had [name_m]Thurston[/name_m] on the list for our little one due in [name_f]September[/name_f], and only removed it because it sounded too much like a stack of surnames when combined with our double-barreler. [name_m]Thurston[/name_m] [name_m]Elijah[/name_m] I like quite a bit, and I’d also pull [name_m]Isaiah[/name_m] from your signature to suggest [name_m]Thurston[/name_m] [name_m]Isaiah[/name_m]. I have a hard time with middle names, so I don’t have anything else to offer, but I wanted to offer my support for a great name!

I think of thirst, and it just doesn’t conjure up anything great for me, sorry. It’s also really close to the name of my HS so I just think of that too.

I don’t like it as a name. Like previous posters have said, the “thirst” sound is just too strong. I definitely don’t think it would work as a name.

Thanks all!

Thank you so much, I am glad there are other [name_m]Thurston[/name_m] fans out there. And I love [name_m]Thurston[/name_m] [name_m]Moore[/name_m], too, in fact, if I ever use that name, it would honor him. I really like the idea of [name_m]Thurston[/name_m] [name_m]Isaiah[/name_m] or [name_m]Elijah[/name_m]. It sounds lively and spunky.

[name_m]Just[/name_m] chiming in to say it’s mine and my three siblings’ middle name. I definitely see it more on a boy. Originally it was my moms maiden name and she passed it on to us. I think for that reason, I can see it more as a middle/surname.

It’s super easy to spell/pronounce which is nice and it’s uncommon, another nice feature. I guess on the “negative” side, I do get the occasional ‘Your middle name is thirsty?’, but it doesn’t get much worse than that.

In looking at your other boys names, I prefer it as a middle for you. But, I think the suggestion of [name_m]Thurston[/name_m] [name_m]Isaiah[/name_m] sounds great. And [name_m]Thurston[/name_m] [name_m]Moore[/name_m] sounds really good, even if you can’t use it exactly. I think a one or three syllable middle would sound best with [name_m]Thurston[/name_m].

The Gilligan’s Island association is too strong - I hear “[name_m]Thurston[/name_m]” and I fill in “[name_m]Thurston[/name_m] [name_m]Howell[/name_m] III,” the millionaire on the show. They chose the name for that character because it sounds stuffy and over-the-top aristocratic in an out-of-touch way. The “thirst” thing doesn’t help, especially since “thirsty” is now slang for desperate and horny. Not a fan.