What are “filler” names

I keep seeing people on here referring to “filler” middle names, what are they and give me some examples? I’m new here😂

2 Likes

Why are they called fillers though?

Oh so they’re common middle names basically?

Yeah, I quite like [name_f]Rose[/name_f] actually🙂

Like [name_f]Penelope[/name_f] says, they are common middle names that are easy to use. That isn’t to say the names themselves are filler, just that they are sometimes used because it is easier than finding a name you love in the middle.

4 Likes

Ann and [name_f]Grace[/name_f] are a few others I can think of. [name_f]My[/name_f] middle name is [name_f]Ann[/name_f]

2 Likes

I don’t just think of “filler names” as common middle names – more like generic middle names. [name_f]Ann[/name_f](e), [name_f]Grace[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f], and [name_u]Marie[/name_u] are typical because they go with about anything so every other person you meet has one of them as a mn. There are common middle names like [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] or [name_f]Joy[/name_f] that don’t feel quite as overused and unoriginal, if that makes sense.

6 Likes

I would say names like [name_u]Anne[/name_u], [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Grace[/name_f], [name_u]Marie[/name_u], [name_f]Catherine[/name_f], [name_u]Louise[/name_u], [name_f]Jane[/name_f], [name_f]Mae[/name_f], [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_u]Lee[/name_u], [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_m]John[/name_m], [name_m]Thomas[/name_m], and [name_m]Robert[/name_m] could be considered fillers as they are common, although I actually really love most all, and I am sure that lots are in the form of honor names as many were popular around “grandparent time”. I sometimes use this list to think about middles: Traditional choices top list of most popular middle names

3 Likes

I think the word filler is thrown in there because the implication is that the name doesn’t mean much, it’s just the obvious name to fill the middle name space. I don’t really like that term, because it implies that no thought went into using names like [name_f]Mae[/name_f], [name_f]Ann[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f] or whatever else is considered a “filler”. Yes, they are versatile and kind of safe, but that’s a far cry from “we just put it there to fill a line”. It’s completely valid to say “I picked the middle name because I liked the sound of it when paired with the first name”. Not everything needs to be a manifesto…says I, just I am looking for a middle name to satisfy me because the one I have for boys isn’t doing it for DH anymore…

8 Likes

I think filler names are names which pretty much sound great with any first name. So names which are incredibly versatile??
They tend to be one or two syllables too.

1 Like

I agree. The term filler name drives me up a wall. I don’t like it. It makes it sound like names like my MN ([name_u]Lee[/name_u]) had no thought behind it and was just thrown in to make a name combo. That’s not always so. In my case, my Papa’s MN ([name_u]Lee[/name_u]) was specifically to honor his grandma (MN - [name_f]Lea[/name_f], pronounced [name_u]Lee[/name_u]). My MN was to honor my Papa specifically. All in all, I wish we could loose the term filler name from our vocabularies completely.

4 Likes

Here’s an example:

Someone wants to name their baby [name_f]Isabella[/name_f]. They say, “uh, I don’t know what to pick for a middle name. How about [name_f]Ann[/name_f]? Yeah let’s just go with that.”
So they pick [name_f]Isabella[/name_f] [name_f]Ann[/name_f].
[name_f]Ann[/name_f] in this case is a filler name because they just randomly picked a common middle name. The middle name has no significance to them, it just “fills” the middle name spot. It has no purpose but to be a filler

There is nothing wrong with doing this necessarily. But this is what people mean by a filler name.

1 Like

@Marae_Grace1 Great example :clap:. Unfortunately it also highlights why I hate the term filler name.

1 Like

Yeah I’m with you! I don’t like the term either!

2 Likes

I agree, I see no problem with “filler names.” These middle names are common for a reason – they are versatile, pretty names that everyone is familiar with. A name that checks all the boxes deserves some cred! I actually like most filler names. [name_f]Ann[/name_f]/Anne, [name_f]May[/name_f]/Mae, [name_f]Grace[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f], and [name_u]Marie[/name_u] are all lovely names.

2 Likes

Thank you for sharing! That list is really helpful.

2 Likes

The concept of a “filler” middle name also kinda speaks to the name-based-elitism that naming communities can sometimes encourage. You really don’t hear “filler” used to describe a name out there in the Big [name_u]Blue[/name_u] World :sneezing_face:

4 Likes

I find that a lot of what people call “filler names” are often used as family honor names. In certain families, it may be traditional for the first-born girls to inherit their mother’s middle name. (I share my mom’s middle name.)

Ann, [name_u]Lynn[/name_u], [name_u]Leigh[/name_u]/Lee, [name_f]Grace[/name_f], [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_f]Joy[/name_f] and [name_u]Marie[/name_u] are the ones I see most often. To a lesser extent, [name_f]Renee[/name_f] (my own), [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f], [name_f]Nicole[/name_f], [name_f]Mae[/name_f] and [name_u]Jean[/name_u]. One-syllable middle names are especially popular because they fit well with pretty much any first name. I understand why people use [name_f]Rose[/name_f] and [name_f]Grace[/name_f] so often, they’re both gorgeous names and can have personal meaning. That’s why I particularly love [name_f]Rose[/name_f] as a first name since it’s used so much in the middle.

For guys, probably [name_m]John[/name_m], [name_u]Michael[/name_u], and [name_m]William[/name_m] are the ones I see most. The most common trend nowadays is for the fathers’ name to be used in the middle spot.

I think it’s totally fine to use a “filler” name if it’s traditional and for honor reasons. Or even if you just love the sound of it. [name_f]Rose[/name_f] is lovely and goes with nearly anything. I personally would rather use more unusual names in the middle, but that’s not everyone’s thing and if they prefer to go traditional, there’s nothing wrong with that at all.

6 Likes

Omg yes!

2 Likes

I’m not a fan of the term “filler name”, personally. To me it seems judgemental and implies that people are just picking these names at random without any thought. How could you know that? For many people, middle names like [name_u]Marie[/name_u] and [name_m]John[/name_m] are honour names or have some other significance.

4 Likes