What are Mid-Western names??

My DH’s family is originally from the Mid-[name]West[/name], but we live in [name]California[/name]. He has been very vague and none responsive whenever I ask him if he likes a name. Recently he has surprised me and said he wants a “good 'ol mid-western name.” WHAT DOES THAT MEAN!? He didn’t provide me with examples, so I was hoping my berries could help!

What are typical Mid-Western names for boys and girls??

Thanks in advance!

I’ve lived in the Mid-[name]West[/name] my whole life, and I’m honestly not sure what that comment means either! :slight_smile: I would say that people in the Mid-[name]West[/name] tend to like popular/trendy names (much like a lot of the rest of the country.) But other than that, I’m really not sure…

No clue either, from what I can tell popular trendy names.

Maybe he means something to the effect of homespun type names?

I live in the midwest and I am not sure what he means?!
I don’t know…maybe look on the SSA website, you can view the top 100 names for each state. Look through the midwest states to see if there are any trends?
I will say that all of the names on the list in your signature are names that I hear around here…none of them jump out as being a “non-midwest” name, the exception perhaps being [name]Dex[/name].

I really don’t know what he means by that. My best guess would be something not too out there and that has been fairly consistently in use, maybe with a little bit of an old-fashioned feel - something like [name]Charles[/name] “[name]Charlie[/name]”, [name]Margaret[/name] “[name]Maggie[/name]”, or [name]Hannah[/name]. That’s just my guess, though. Since all of the responses here seem to be pretty confused, I think he probably isn’t really giving you a reasonable amount to go off of to figure out exactly what he means.

Hey, same here! My honey is also from the mid-west.
Unfortunately, the mid-west is a pretty big area. There are a lot of regional differences.
We lived in [name]Missouri[/name] before we lived in [name]Cali[/name], and i’m not sure i could pin down what exactly is a ‘mid-western’ name, but there was a sort of American classic quality. I’ll try to get close to it…

[name]Johanna[/name]
[name]Tessa[/name]
[name]Jill[/name]
[name]Denise[/name]

[name]Perry[/name]
[name]Thomas[/name]
[name]Mark[/name]
[name]Brett[/name]

I would echo the suggestion to look at the top 100 for his home state and see where it varies, if anywhere. I am in the Midwest too: very trendy, very popular names. At the same time we seem to let go of dated names more slowly. Like, [name]Morgan[/name] would be higher on the list than the national average for example. [name]Just[/name] my take.

[name]How[/name] long has he been away from the Midwest? I wonder if what he actually means is “names of people I grew up with”. My guess is he’d actually be surprised at what’s popular here in the Midwest - it’s fairly close to the rest of the nation :wink:

Haha, [name]Lori[/name]. I appreciate the “perceived to be” bit :smiley: Though I’ve yet to meet a [name]Delbert[/name], [name]Mortimer[/name], or a [name]Fanny[/name] (unless you count my mom’s cat). I’d be shocked to see most of these on a young child, though there are several that I love - [name]Frank[/name] needs to make a comeback! Anyway, it’s mostly Madelines, Avas, Annas, Mias, Jacobs, Aidans (and all of his rhyming friends), and Maxes in terms of real life babies I know!

I’m not sure. I looked up mid-west states and they looked like most of the ones in the ‘[name]Little[/name] House on the [name]Prairie[/name] Books’ so:

[name]Laura[/name]
[name]Mary[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Charles[/name]
[name]Lena[/name]
[name]Nellie[/name]
[name]Grace[/name]
[name]Rose[/name]

I’m sure you would be able to find a list of other characters on google though.

I’m happy to know that I’m not the only one confused!

His family is from Iowa, but he has never lived there. He finally gave me some things to work with though, he said he likes his family names… His grandfather’s name was [name]Nathan[/name], (but went by [name]Ned[/name] cause those were his initials), great uncle [name]Dean[/name] and [name]William[/name] ([name]Bill[/name]). These just seem like classic names to me.

But he still is at a loss to convey the Mid-Western girl names. I’ve suggested [name]Norah[/name]… and I get shot down! Grr! Help?

[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Julia[/name]
[name]Sadie[/name]
[name]Clara[/name]
[name]Lucy[/name]

Girls’ names I perceive as “good ol’ names,” with the caveat I’ve never been to the Midwest.

[name]Hannah[/name]
[name]Emily[/name]
[name]Megan[/name], [name]Maggie[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]
[name]Katherine[/name], especially nickname NN [name]Kitty[/name] or [name]Kay[/name] which sound sweeter/more old-fashioned to me than [name]Kate[/name].
[name]Claire[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Mae[/name]
[name]Ruby[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]

Depending on your own taste you could steer him more towards the not-really-in (or only on the fringe of coming back) country-flavoured girls names of days gone by, like [name]Hazel[/name]/[name]June[/name]/[name]Vera[/name]/[name]Kay[/name]/[name]Ruth[/name] or more towards the sweeter and more gingham-dressed popular girls’ names, like [name]Lily[/name]/[name]Emma[/name]/[name]Katy[/name]/[name]Leah[/name].

I’ve lived in the Midwest my entire life (granted I’m on the fringe of Midwest and South) but we have a lot of Katelyns, Emmas, Haleys, etc. in my age group (1990-1999)

If you guys are into family-honoring, [name]Nathaniel[/name] or [name]Dean[/name] would be quite nice! [name]How[/name] about [name]Neil[/name], [name]Noel[/name], [name]Wayne[/name], [name]Scott[/name], or [name]Glenn[/name] (you might even try placing these in the middle when suggesting a name you like, as it may help the name seem more familiar/down home to him)? As for girls, I’m picking my brain for some of my own family classics that might appeal to him. [name]Bonnie[/name], [name]Phoebe[/name], [name]Ruth[/name], [name]Ruby[/name], [name]Irene[/name]?

i’m a Midwestern [name]Gal[/name] married to a Super Midwestern [name]Guy[/name]. We named our son [name]Weston[/name]… not even close to popular 4 years ago. So it can be anything… but check out the Social Security website… and search by state, starting with your DH’s home state.

But from your faves, here’s what I think would be said here:
Boys:
[name]Nathan[/name] - good solid name
[name]Everett[/name] - just sort of coming back. I know a new baby [name]Everett[/name]
[name]Pierce[/name] - not happening here yet
[name]Callum[/name] - Scottish? I don’t think my in-laws are ready for this one.
[name]Reed[/name] - strong, singular
[name]Dex[/name] - too short (though I like it)
[name]Sage[/name] - “you’re naming a boy after a purple plant?” my in-laws again
[name]Spencer[/name] - good here
[name]Dean[/name] & [name]Luke[/name] - also “winners”
Girls:
The ones I can see working here: [name]Jade[/name], [name]Leila[/name], [name]Margo[/name], [name]Norah[/name], and [name]Quinn[/name]
[name]Maeva[/name], [name]Everly[/name] - not going to fly here.
[name]Ellery[/name], [name]Marlow[/name], & [name]Vivian[/name] - starting to emerge… I see hope in their future

check this link out:
http://life.familyeducation.com/baby/baby-names/45490.html

I’m from the midwest (Michigan) but currently live in [name]CA[/name]. As far as “midwest” boys’ names people were picking 25-35 years ago, I know an absurd number of guys named [name]Joe[/name]. Other popular ones were [name]Mike[/name], [name]Jeremy[/name], [name]Aaron[/name], [name]Adam[/name], and [name]Ben[/name]. [name]Julie[/name], [name]Sarah[/name], and [name]Laura[/name] were very popular girls’ names in that age group.

I would second the notion that “midwest” names are stereotypically-wholesome but trendy. These days, I hear a lot of [name]Charlie[/name], [name]Brady[/name], and other -y/-ie/-ley names for both boys and girls when we meet the kids of friends and family there.

My guess is that your husband like mine has no idea what names are popular, and when he refers to a Midwestern name he isn’t looking for something that is necessarily in the top 100 in Iowa or Wisconsin, but is more looking for something that reminds him of his imagined down to earth practical midwesterner. Here are suggestions that I think could be perceived as good little farm girls:
[name]Leah[/name]
[name]Sarah[/name]
[name]Louisa[/name]
[name]Jane[/name]
[name]Molly[/name]
[name]Evelyn[/name]
[name]Wendy[/name]
[name]Ann[/name]
[name]Ellie[/name]
[name]Caroline[/name]
[name]Charlotte[/name]
[name]Beth[/name]