What are Names that You would NEVER name your baby... (even if your spouse loves it))

I’m not the fan of:
[name_f]Veronica[/name_f]
[name_u]Lindsey[/name_u]/Lindsay etc.
[name_f]Olga[/name_f]
[name_f]Clara[/name_f]
Matilda
[name_f]Nadia[/name_f]
[name_f]Elena[/name_f]
[name_f]Sybil[/name_f]
[name_f]Emily[/name_f]
[name_u]Allison[/name_u]
[name_f]Megan[/name_f]/Meghan

2 Likes

A top 100 name. Any location.

I don’t think I could ever be brought around to the following names:

[name_u]Mallory[/name_u]
[name_f]Beatrice[/name_f]/Beatrix
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
[name_f]Matilda[/name_f]
[name_u]Artemis[/name_u]
[name_f]Poppy[/name_f]
[name_f]Violet[/name_f]

Rebecca… [name_f]Grace[/name_f]… [name_f]Lauren[/name_f]/Laura… [name_f]Briony[/name_f]… [name_f]Emma[/name_f]… [name_f]Sarah[/name_f]… [name_f]Elsie[/name_f]… [name_f]Alicia[/name_f]… [name_f]Olivia[/name_f]

There are a couple:
:black_small_square:︎Abigail - just not appealing to me. [name_u]Abby[/name_u] is not a pretty nn.
:black_small_square:︎Isabella - too popular, though admittedly pretty
:black_small_square:︎Sophie - pretty, but again, way too popular
:black_small_square:︎Emma
:black_small_square:︎Theodore

1 Like

Emma, [name_f]Amelia[/name_f], [name_f]Olivia[/name_f], [name_u]James[/name_u] or [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]

3 Likes

I won’t do Biblical names, honour names or Juniors.

3 Likes

[name_f]Katherine[/name_f] (any spelling or diminutive variation of it with the exception of [name_u]Kai[/name_u], [name_f]Kaia[/name_f], [name_u]Kaj[/name_u], [name_f]Kaja[/name_f], [name_f]Karine[/name_f], [name_f]Karina[/name_f], [name_f]Carine[/name_f] & [name_f]Carina[/name_f] )

[name_u]James[/name_u] - for either gender

[name_u]Michael[/name_u], [name_m]Micheal[/name_m], [name_f]Michelle[/name_f], [name_f]Michaela[/name_f] (or any spelling variation of these) - In either gender. I can’t spell them without using spell check so I won’t put that on my child, but I would use [name_u]Micah[/name_u], [name_u]Mickey[/name_u], [name_f]Miki[/name_f], [name_f]Micki[/name_f], [name_u]Micky[/name_u] or Mïkël in its place

I won’t use any FNs of nieces or nephews unless it was the name of someone we want to honor as it feels too much like I’m picking one over the others if I do. MNs are usually fair game because the MNs are fairly well used throughout the family. (i.e. my niece is Scᴀrlëtt. If my SO had someone by that name he wanted to honor, I’d consider it, but I would prefer to use their middle name instead for the reason above).

I won’t use any name combos that could be a related to someone I don’t want my child to emulate… such as Dönᴀld [name_m]John[/name_m], Dönᴀld [name_m]Jon[/name_m] or Dönᴀld [name_m]Jonathan[/name_m] (Dönᴀld [name_m]John[/name_m] Trump) or [name_m]Benedict[/name_m] [name_m]Arnold[/name_m] (especially in the US).

1 Like

Maleficent
She might turn evil!

1 Like

In all honesty if my spouse really love it, I would try to see the appeal too.
The only names that are off limits for me are names I associate with certain mean people in my life (for example [name_f]Iris[/name_f])

2 Likes

The only names I would absolutely shut down are ones with bad/painful personal associations.

3 Likes

My husband‘s worst two are on the boy list ([name_m]Siegfried[/name_m] and [name_m]Hagen[/name_m]).

For girls our tastes are pretty aligned, the only ones I vetoed were [name_f]Morgana[/name_f], [name_f]Lilith[/name_f] and Kriemhild.

I think I would also have vetoed anything creatively spelled and a good bulk of modern American names just for being not my style. Fortunately none came up.

So for girls the names I would shut down would be [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_f]Freya[/name_f] & [name_f]Clarissa[/name_f] these names have really negative associations despite being beautiful.

For boys it would be [name_u]Aidan[/name_u], [name_m]Emmanuel[/name_m], [name_m]Mark[/name_m], [name_m]Anthony[/name_m] & [name_m]Joseph[/name_m]. [name_u]Aidan[/name_u] was my first boyfriend I was with him between the ages of 14-18 he was older and really abusive. It would just be weird for me to use [name_m]Emmanuel[/name_m], [name_m]Mark[/name_m] or [name_m]Anthony[/name_m]. [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] is the name of my unborn baby’s dad it would be weird considering the circumstances to use [name_m]Joseph[/name_m] and any variations.

Pretty much any modern invented name, surname name, or trendy masculine picks.
So no Paisleys, Addisons, Sloanes, Harpers etc. in my future.

Beyond that, some random names I don’t care for:
Cressida- this name absolutely seems like something I would like, and is probably something my partner would like, but I just don’t like the way it sounds.
Eleanor- this is a great name, I have nothing against it- except that I can’t escape it anywhere. I swear nearly half of my friends have a daughter named Eleanor. So it’s a no.
Hypatia- I did consider this one for awhile because I love Hypatia of Alexandria and my partner was briefly on a kick about doing a mathematicians theme. Between the alliteration and my decision that I wanted to avoid outright themes though this name couldn’t make the cut.
Lalita- my partner mentioned liking this name offhandedly several years ago and I immediately vetoed. It feels like a name I wouldn’t use without a cultural connection, and it’s a little too similar to Lolita for my taste.
Clementine- I like this one for other people, but it just doesn’t feel like the tone I’m going for.
Hannah- I honestly just find this name kinda plain.
Persephone- so I actually considered this one for a bit because my partner really likes it, it is very pretty, and it goes well with our son’s name. But ultimately I cut it because I couldn’t get past the associations with the goddess and the sadness of most stories she’s depicted in. It’s not a bad name and I don’t consider it unusable for anyone else, it’s just my personal hangup.
Scarlett- I don’t really like how it sounds, but more than that it was the name of my mom’s cat.
Zenobia- another one that seems like I should love it but somethings just feels off? Like it’s got too much going on. I don’t even know how to explain it I’m just not in love with it.
Vesper- I’m a non theist so it would seem weird to use to me.
Faith- see Vesper.
Harriet- too matchy with our surname.
Lavinia- another one like Cressida and Zenobia that seem up my street and that my partner would probably advocate for but I just don’t like the sound and vibe.
Aurelia- again it seems like I should like it but it just sounds simultaneously harsh and airy to me? It’s the, “ray” sound innit I think. I like it for other people but I wouldn’t use it.
Iris, Mavis, Agnes, Beatrice- too matchy sounding with our surname.

Speaking of Aurelia and Agnes, I don’t want to do matching initials with our children so even A names that I love like Agnes or Anemone, Andromeda, Agatha, Anise, etc are a flat no, at least as first names. I’m pretty reluctant to consider B or T names as firsts for the same reason.

2 Likes

These are mainly bad associations personal and not personal:
[name_f]Brynn[/name_f]
[name_f]Kassandra[/name_f]

Cohen
[name_m]Zachary[/name_m]

Paige // [name_u]Holly[/name_u] // [name_f]Frances[/name_f] // [name_f]Olga[/name_f] // [name_f]Iris[/name_f] // [name_f]Harriet[/name_f] // [name_u]Addison[/name_u] // [name_u]Paisley[/name_u] // [name_f]Melanie[/name_f] // [name_f]Freya[/name_f] // [name_u]Morgan[/name_u] // [name_f]Sophia[/name_f]/ [name_f]Sophie[/name_f] // [name_f]Abigail[/name_f] // [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] // [name_f]Alicia[/name_f] // [name_f]Lauren[/name_f] // [name_u]Mallory[/name_u]. //

I have never liked [name_f]Sabrina[/name_f] :confused:
I couldnt see myself using it, even if it was my spouses favourite name!

3 Likes

Mackenzeigh or any -eigh or -ee name for that matter!!
[name_f]Emma[/name_f]
[name_f]Praise[/name_f]/Nevaeh/Heaven/Angel/Miracle
[name_f]Destiny[/name_f]/Hope/Faith/Grace
[name_u]Paisley[/name_u]
[name_f]Belinda[/name_f]/Malinda
Getrude
[name_f]Vicky[/name_f]/Jackie
[name_f]Lydia[/name_f]

Barbara
[name_f]Hailey[/name_f]
[name_f]Winifred[/name_f]
[name_m]Xavier[/name_m]
[name_m]Donald[/name_m]
Same with @bellerose, though. If he really likes it, then I’ll consider…

:eye::lips::eye:

1 Like