What are Names that You would NEVER name your baby... (even if your spouse loves it))

Any is fine!

1 Like

Both unpleasant people in my family
[name_u]Benjamin[/name_u]
[name_m]Anthony[/name_m]

I think I’d be pretty open to most names, but there are some names I have bad associations with that I would never want to name my child ([name_m]Andrew[/name_m] and [name_f]Briana[/name_f] are two examples).

I also am not a big fan of nickname names (like [name_f]Gracie[/name_f], [name_f]Kate[/name_f], or [name_u]Alfie[/name_u]) but I could maybe be convinced to use one if my partner really really loved it.

Sophia, [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f], [name_m]Ethan[/name_m], [name_f]Aurelia[/name_f]

Even if my BF liked these names, I couldn’t bring myself to name a kid any of these:

Byron
[name_m]Dudley[/name_m]
[name_m]Donald[/name_m]
[name_m]Myron[/name_m]
[name_m]Rudolph[/name_m]
[name_m]Adolf[/name_m]
[name_m]Heinrich[/name_m]
[name_m]Kurt[/name_m]
[name_m]Calvin[/name_m]
[name_m]Herbert[/name_m]
[name_m]Hermann[/name_m]
[name_m]Millard[/name_m]
[name_m]Eustace[/name_m]
[name_m]Ebenezer[/name_m]
[name_m]Willard[/name_m]
[name_m]Cosmo[/name_m]
[name_m]Ronald[/name_m]
[name_m]Mortimer[/name_m]
[name_m]Bertram[/name_m]
[name_m]Jared[/name_m]

Helga
[name_f]Ilse[/name_f]
[name_f]Ursula[/name_f]
[name_u]Quinn[/name_u]
[name_f]Paige[/name_f]
[name_f]Gertrude[/name_f]
[name_f]Hortense[/name_f]
[name_f]Bertha[/name_f]
[name_f]Melania[/name_f]
[name_f]Ivana[/name_f]/Ivanka
[name_f]Vera[/name_f]
[name_f]Lacey[/name_f]
[name_f]Myrtle[/name_f]
[name_f]Phyllis[/name_f]
[name_f]Helen[/name_f]
[name_f]Sandra[/name_f]
[name_f]Ethel[/name_f]
[name_f]Yolanda[/name_f]
[name_f]Yvonne[/name_f]
[name_f]Yvette[/name_f]
[name_f]Isis[/name_f]

I’m just glad he doesn’t like any of these, and that they don’t flow well with his surname.

Ophelia. It just gives me the creepy feels.

Girl names with really negative associations for me are

Lydia
[name_f]Jill[/name_f]
[name_f]Melanie[/name_f]
[name_u]Kim[/name_u]

Michael
[name_m]Marcus[/name_m]

So basically any of them.

Girls:
[name_f]Ursula[/name_f]
[name_f]Cinderella[/name_f]
[name_f]Maud[/name_f]/Maude
[name_f]Ermentrude[/name_f]
[name_f]Lilith[/name_f]
[name_f]Helga[/name_f]
[name_f]Helen[/name_f]
[name_u]James[/name_u]
[name_f]Martina[/name_f]
[name_f]Veronica[/name_f]
[name_f]Elspeth[/name_f]
[name_f]Circe[/name_f]
[name_f]Medusa[/name_f]
[name_f]Pandora[/name_f]
[name_f]Perdita[/name_f]
[name_f]Elaine[/name_f]
[name_f]Frideswide[/name_f]
[name_f]Sapphira[/name_f]
[name_f]Geraldine[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
[name_f]Isabella[/name_f]
[name_f]Gwendolen[/name_f]
Any original welsh names for girls that end in wyn (the male suffix) rather than wen (the female suffix)

1 Like

I would never consider using:
Any name I have a bad personal association with, e.g. [name_u]Shane[/name_u] (because of a horrible person I used to know with that name).
Any name with obvious teasing potential or a troublesome association, e.g. [name_f]Lolita[/name_f], [name_f]Dixie[/name_f], [name_f]Karen[/name_f] (I do like Lolita as a name, but the association is just too problematic for me to consider it).
Any name I find to be unattractive-sounding.

1 Like

Yes yes yes to people using wyn ending names on girls. It looks soooo off to me

2 Likes

Names I just really dislike and wouldn’t use for whatever reason:
[name_f]Nicole[/name_f]
[name_u]Jackson[/name_u] ([name_m]Jack[/name_m] is fine!)
[name_f]Magdalena[/name_f]
[name_f]Olivia[/name_f]
[name_u]Michael[/name_u] / [name_f]Mikayla[/name_f]
[name_u]Aidan[/name_u]/Braiden/Kaden etc.
[name_m]Trent[/name_m]
Anything ending in leigh/lee/ly

1 Like

Any flower names. No offense, I just don’t like them! :hugs: :confused:

• [name_f]Greta[/name_f], [name_f]Gretel[/name_f], [name_f]Ethel[/name_f]
  • Any name with -berg or -gard
  • Mispelled names (ie kookie atypical variants)
  • Names associated closely with famous mythological/fictitious villains (e.g. [name_f]Ursula[/name_f], Hades, [name_m]Judas[/name_m]) or historical villains (e.g. [name_m]Adolph[/name_m]).
  • Names almost exclusively associated with a culture/relgion that we aren’t a part of (e.g. [name_m]Jesus[/name_m], [name_m]Ishmael[/name_m], [name_m]Alberto[/name_m], [name_m]Hiawatha[/name_m], [name_m]Muhammad[/name_m], [name_m]Abraham[/name_m], etc).
  • Names of spices, cooking ingredients (e.g. Thyme, Rosemary, Coriander, Curry)
1 Like

Evangeline & [name_f]Evangelina[/name_f] & [name_u]Evan[/name_u] & anything else similar as well. Uck. I think “evangelical” & this dork [name_u]Evan[/name_u] that I knew in elementary/primary school. (Now that I think about it, he probably had some sort of congenital disability — I hope he’s okay!)

Quite a few, so I’ll only name a couple:

•[name_u]Aiden[/name_u]/any -ayden name
•[name_f]Abigail[/name_f]
•[name_f]Isabelle[/name_f]/Isabella
•[name_u]Sutton[/name_u]
•[name_f]Anniston[/name_f]
•[name_m]Uriah[/name_m]

Tatum is probably one of my least-favourite names of all time and I would veto it to the edges of the universe if my so ever brought it up. Especially for a girl.

On that note, I could never be convinced to name my daughter anything strictly masculine like [name_u]James[/name_u], [name_u]Elliott[/name_u], [name_u]Wyatt[/name_u], [name_m]Garrett[/name_m] etc.

I don’t like obviously biblical names such as [name_m]Elijah[/name_m], [name_m]Daniel[/name_m], [name_m]Matthew[/name_m], [name_m]Mark[/name_m], [name_m]Luke[/name_m], [name_m]John[/name_m], [name_m]Ezekiel[/name_m], [name_m]Zachariah[/name_m], [name_u]Israel[/name_u], [name_u]Timothy[/name_u], [name_u]Jericho[/name_u] etc.

Names that could be considered culturally appropriative towards a culture that has been historically abused by mine, such as [name_m]Cohen[/name_m], [name_u]Dakota[/name_u], [name_f]Indira[/name_f] etc. (only if the child had no relation to these cultures).

There are a few names I just could not ever be convinced to come around to, simply because I don’t like them - [name_f]Beatrice[/name_f], [name_u]Louise[/name_u], [name_u]Liam[/name_u] and [name_m]Caleb[/name_m] are some I just can’t stand.

There are some personal associations I have that I would never be able to get over, but I won’t share the names exactly for privacy reasons.

Other than that, I know that I’d love my so (who I don’t even know rn lol) so much that I’d make the effort to care about the names they love. And I’d hope for the same in return. I’ve come around to a lot of names over the years that I originally didn’t like, so barring the above, I’d never say never if a name was special to my loved one.

On last names!

I would also never compromise on having my last name in the baby’s name. Preferably as the official surname (since I will be giving birth to it and my partner will not) but definitely as a middle name. I will not compromise on this for the universe.

1 Like

Most names :joy: I have a shortlist that my partner can pick from, I’m highly unlikely to consider anything else.

Definite no names would be:

M names ([name_u]Marie[/name_u]/Mckenzie/Michaela/Micheal/Mary/Maggie/Megan)

‘Boring’ names (sorry!) - [name_f]Hannah[/name_f], [name_f]Grace[/name_f], [name_f]Sophie[/name_f], [name_u]Allison[/name_u], [name_u]Lindsay[/name_u], [name_f]Alice[/name_f], [name_m]Phillip[/name_m], [name_m]Christopher[/name_m], [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f], [name_f]Emma[/name_f] (Traditional names I do like, I just feel like these have no sparkle)

C names with a K - [name_f]Kourtney[/name_f]/Khloe/Kole/Kasper/Klay

Place names

I am not personally willing to use:

• Names I have negative personal associations with; there’s a handful of names (eg Natasha, Tabitha, Francis) that I’d love to use if not for people I knew.
  • Anything that means something “bad” in a language commonly spoken in my area. I don’t mean names that have “negative” meanings, I mean names that literally are words in other languages for something I wouldn’t want to call someone.
  • Any name that already belongs to a family member. I grew up with a first name that already belonged to one of my older cousins and really, really didn’t like the experience. Being “Little X” or “X Middlename-I-Hated” or “X Lastname” at all family gatherings was something I really hated and honestly I just couldn’t “do that” to my kid (other families are different and I would never ever judge anyone else for doing it, but I know my fam and it just doesn’t go well in our situation!) I do not however have any issues with using a first name that’s a family member’s middle name, though my taste in names makes that fairly unlikely.
  • Names strongly associated with a culture not related to myself, my partner, or my child (eg, I wouldn’t use an obviously Spanish name, unless my partner and/or child was of Hispanic/Latinx heritage— I am not— even though I speak the language well and it’s important in my life and work).
  • Any names I feel would lead a kid to have a high likelihood of being teased.
  • “Cutesy” names, or most nickname names (no offense meant to anyone who likes these!)
  • A handful of popular names I just really don’t like: Violet/Viola, Flora, Daisy, August, Bellamy…

Honestly outside of that list, which I realize makes me sound picky (and maybe I am), I’d be open to most anything. I’ve got a wide variety of taste in names and it’s super important to me that if I do have kids, me and my future coparent pick a name for our child (I’m a firm “one and done”) that we both love.

As you shouldn’t! After all, it’s YOUR baby that YOU gave birth to. :slight_smile: