What are you reading?

[ deleted ]

Last night I finished reading The Cuckoo’s Calling by “[name_m]Robert[/name_m] Galbraith” (J. K. Rowling). I absolutely loved it! It’s very un-[name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m], so I definitely don’t recommend it if you are only reading it for the author. I’ve read The Casual Vacancy a few times now, and I seem to be the only person who really loved it :frowning: Haha oh well!

Next I think I’m going to read Vanity Fair by [name_m]William[/name_m] Makepeace [name_m]Thackeray[/name_m].

Vanity Fair is pretty good, not one of my favorite classics but well worth the read especially since [name_f]Becky[/name_f] [name_m]Sharp[/name_m] is one of the more well-known literary figures!

Right now I’m reading a few books, the most recent being The Book of Lost Things by [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_u]Connolly[/name_u]. I was home last weekend and I was looking through my bookshelf for something to bring back to school with me. I found a book that I had apparently gotten for my birthday in 2006 (someone wrote a nice little message for me on the inside). I guess I never got around to reading it. When I was reading it last night, I found a receipt I had used as a bookmark dated from 2007. :stuck_out_tongue: It’s pretty interesting so far… I’m only about 20 pages in, but it seems like it’ll be a pretty quick read. I like the author’s style. He’s very descriptive. Great writing.

I’m also reading The Particle at the End of the Universe by [name_m]Sean[/name_m] [name_u]Carroll[/name_u]. It’s about the Higgs boson particle. Oh, ya know, just some casual light reading. :wink:

Let us know how that it is when you finish! It’s somewhere on my shelves too :D.

I’m currently reading:

[name_f]Sophie[/name_f]'s Choice - more explicit than I expected but the writing is pretty good. Finally got to the interesting part and past all the yammering about the writer.

Foundation (Asimov) - creative idea but more political than I find appealing. Also, the major “hook” of psychohistory I find rather weak and unsupportable. Good writing and a good concept though.

[name_f]Anne[/name_f]'s House of Dreams - happy fluffy reading.

[name_m]Just[/name_m] finished ‘The Book Thief’ (started off not liking it at all, ended up thinking it was very pretty but not a lot really happened) and am about to start reading [name_m]Hugh[/name_m] Howey’s ‘Wool’ stuff. I’m not looking forward to it. From what I’ve heard, I have a feeling it may be overrated.

I read that many years ago and it’s still one of my favorite books to this day. I think it was very interesting because it’s written from the perspective of Death. The movie came out recently and I’ve been dying to see it but I think due to funding issues or something it’s only playing at select theaters? It was at one movie theater an hour across town for a couple weeks and then it stopped playing so I don’t know where else to see it. :frowning:

That’s too bad! I saw it and thought it was really great. They really captured her spirit. The young actress did a wonderful job.

I know it’s not come out here yet, I don’t think. I’ve only seen trailers for it.

I just finished with my thesis so I don’t read any books at the moment. [name_m]Will[/name_m] definitely read The Cuckoo’s Calling though. :slight_smile:

I read almost exclusively crime-fiction/mystery novels. I am currently reading book three in MJ [name_f]Rose[/name_f]'s Butterfield Institute series - [name_f]Venus[/name_f] Fix. [name_u]Love[/name_u] this series. [name_m]Will[/name_m] probably go back to my [name_f]Kindle[/name_f] after I finish this one (am on paperbacks atm, got them for [name_u]Christmas[/name_u]/Birthday). I bought 9 books for 74p, great deal!

I’d never heard of this guy until I ‘borrowed’ Sand but reviews look pretty mixed on all his stuff. If I enjoy the last half as much as I have the first I’ll probably look into his other stuff eventually.

And The Book Thief is definitely one of those novels I really liked for it’s prose rather than it’s plot – possibly why I have yet to check out the movie. It’s been years since I read it, I don’t recall enough to want to rush out and see it.

Yeah that’s a good way of putting it!

[name_f]My[/name_f] most recent book has been a self-help book, which I’ve been reading to get over my broken heart, it’s called [name_m]How[/name_m] to Heal a Broken Heart in 30 Days: A [name_u]Day[/name_u]-by-[name_u]Day[/name_u] Guide to Saying Good-bye and Getting On With Your Life.

And you know what?!

It worked!

Now I need some new fiction to read, might try some of the books people have mentioned in the thread.

Nope, there’s also me and my best friend!:slight_smile: At least. I’m pretty sure there’re a lot of positive reviews on iTunes. I’ve only read it once a few months ago and I already want to read it again.

I’m currently reading [name_m]Gustave[/name_m] Flaubert’s Madame Bovary.

I wanted so badly to like it because I admire JKR but… I was just so bored by the adults… I liked the kids though.

Started into Wool last night. After the ‘prologue’ story I’m sort of interested but the print is so tiny and the book is so vast that I don’t know if I can be bothered. I’m not that desperate to find out what happens next.

Someone gifted me The Casual Vacancy for [name_u]Christmas[/name_u], and I left it back home, but I might get my mom to send it to me so I can read it. I’ve wanted to read it for a while now.

I’ve heard good and bad about it, but enough good, that I want to read it and make up my own mind!

I found the characters sort of stereotypic, but still fascinating.

I’m not into modern literature at all and I wasn’t expecting much from Rowling ([name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] was good, but it’s a children’s book), but I really enjoyed reading the Casual Vacancy. Usually I can see what’s going to happen and that’s why I don’t like most modern books. The Casual Vacancy was completely unpredictable, though.

I’m currently reading [name_f]Divine[/name_f] Misdemeanor by [name_f]Laurell[/name_f] K [name_m]Hamilton[/name_m], [name_f]Shadow[/name_f]'s Edge by [name_m]Brent[/name_m] Weeks, and The Last Threshold by [name_m]RA[/name_m] [name_m]Salvatore[/name_m].

And does it count that I’m re-reading my novel and doing some more re-writes :stuck_out_tongue: