What are your favourite classic novels?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] everyone!!

What are your favourite “classic novels”?

Define classic as you wish, whether that’s just novels from before a particular era, texts that have shaped literature, ones that have a place in popular culture, ones that are culturally important, modern and contemporary classics, classics from around the world -i know the definition is flexible and contested!

Mine are Wuthering Heights by [name_f]Emily[/name_f] [name_f]Brontë[/name_f], [name_f]Villette[/name_f] by [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Brontë[/name_f], Frankenstein by [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_u]Shelley[/name_u] and Great Expectations by [name_u]Charles[/name_u] Dickens!

There are plenty of others I love too but I don’t want to overdo it.

Also, no pressure if you don’t like classics -that’s cool :slight_smile:

Looking forward to seeing your answers:)

2 Likes

I love Great Expectations! I also consider [name_m]Little[/name_m] Women a classic, and it’s my favorite story of all time. :relaxed:

[name_f]My[/name_f] favourites are [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Eyre[/name_f], Pride and Prejudice and To Kill a Mockingbird!

I also love anything by [name_f]Agatha[/name_f] [name_u]Christie[/name_u], and Around the World in 80 Days.

Definitely anything [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Austen[/name_u] has written :))

i love pride and prejudice, but little women is my favorite book of all time!!

Wuthering Heights is one of mine too! [name_f]My[/name_f] favorite book of all time though is SE Hinton’s The Outsiders.

Other favorite classics include:

Dracula (Bram Stoker)
The Picture of [name_u]Dorian[/name_u] [name_u]Gray[/name_u] (Oscar Wilde)
And Then There Were None (Agatha Christie)
Murder On The Orient Express (Agatha Christie)
Misery (Stephen King)
The [name_f]Odyssey[/name_f] (Homer)

I’ll also throw in almost anything by [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] (but especially [name_m]Romeo[/name_m] & [name_f]Juliet[/name_f], Twelfth [name_u]Night[/name_u], and MacBeth).

Oh no, don’t get me started :sweat_smile:

Tons of Russian classics, but my ultimate favorites are The brothers Karamazov by [name_m]Fyodor[/name_m] Dostoevsky and [name_f]Anna[/name_f] Karenina by [name_m]Lev[/name_m] Tolstoy.

Other favorites:

• Brideshead revisited by [name_u]Evelyn[/name_u] Waugh
  • Basically anything by [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] Mann, but especially The [name_u]Magic[/name_u] [name_m]Mountain[/name_m] and The Buddenbrooks
  • In cold blood by [name_m]Truman[/name_m] Capote
  • A completely underrated classic in my opinion is The doll by [name_m]Bolesław[/name_m] Prus.
  • I adore everything by the Polish writer [name_m]Bruno[/name_m] Schulz. He’s less well known and some of his work was lost in the second World War, but his novels and stories are amazing. It’s very kafkaesque.
  • [name_f]Salka[/name_f] [name_f]Valka[/name_f] by [name_m]Halldór[/name_m] Laxness
  • [name_f]Lolita[/name_f] by [name_m]Vladimir[/name_m] Nabokov. Controversial, but a great literary work
  • Alone in [name_u]Berlin[/name_u] by [name_m]Hans[/name_m] Fallada
  • Perfume by [name_m]Patrick[/name_m] Süskind
  • Frankenstein by [name_f]Mary[/name_f] [name_u]Shelley[/name_u]
  • Another underrated one is Głosy w ciemności by [name_u]Julian[/name_u] Stryjkowski about the Jewish community in Poland at the beginning of the 20th century. The title can be translated as “Voices in the dark”. I’m not sure if it’s ever been translated into [name_f]English[/name_f].

I’ll just stop now, sorry :sweat_smile:

1 Like

@Jane_Hazel_Wolfe I’m a bit obsessed with Great Expectations atm :grin: [name_m]Little[/name_m] Women is wonderful!! Who is your favourite character?

@wintersnowflake03 [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Eyre[/name_f] and To Kill a Mockingbird are fantastic!! I like Pride and Prejudice too though i confess I’ve never read an [name_f]Agatha[/name_f] Christie😬

@ellabea I’ve only read Pride and Prejudice. Which are your favourites?

@SeleneMoon [name_m]Little[/name_m] Women is amazing! Who’s your favourite character?

@itsjustjack love to see some Wuthering Heights love! I’ve never read the Outsiders but I shall look into it!! Dracula, and [name_u]Dorian[/name_u] [name_u]Gray[/name_u] are brilliant and I think I definitely need to read some [name_f]Agatha[/name_f] Christie!! Great [name_m]Shakespeare[/name_m] taste too!

@rosebeth i adore Frankenstein!! I’m a little embarassed to admit I’ve yet to read any classic Russian literature but several are on my list! Brideshead Revisited and [name_f]Lolita[/name_f] have been on my list for a while too but a lot of these I haven’t heard of!! Definitely going to check them out!

Thank you for sharing everyone!

3 Likes

I also love Wuthering Heights!

As well as [name_f]Anna[/name_f] Karenina, Madame Bovary, The Master and [name_f]Margarita[/name_f]

1 Like

@acajou yay! More Wuthering Heights love! I haven’t read any of those but I’ve been meaning to read the Master and [name_f]Margarita[/name_f]

1 Like

amy! i know this is an unpopular opinion but i feel like like people only think of her a as the spoiled twelve year old and not the smart and mature young woman she became. i also love laurie!

1 Like

my favorite book!

2 Likes

[name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Eyre[/name_f], To Kill a Mockingbird, Murder on the Orient Express & [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] are my favourites! I need to read more classics…

1 Like

[name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Eyre[/name_f] and The Great [name_m]Gatsby[/name_m]

1 Like

The [name_u]Man[/name_u] Who Loved Children, [name_f]Christina[/name_f] Stead
Moby-Dick, [name_m]Herman[/name_m] [name_m]Melville[/name_m]
Crime and Punishment, [name_m]Fyodor[/name_m] Dostoyevsky
[name_m]Beowulf[/name_m], unknown
Maerchen, E T A Hoffmann
The Name of the [name_f]Rose[/name_f], [name_m]Umberto[/name_m] Eco
Homecoming, [name_u]Toni[/name_u] [name_m]Morrison[/name_m]
The Left Hand of Darkness, [name_f]Ursula[/name_f] [name_m]Le[/name_m] [name_u]Guin[/name_u]
The [name_u]Golden[/name_u] Notebooks, [name_f]Doris[/name_f] Lessing
Il Gatopardo, [name_m]Giuseppe[/name_m] Lampedusa

I’d include such writers as Jessmyn [name_m]Ward[/name_m], [name_m]Colson[/name_m] Whitehead, [name_f]Zadie[/name_f] [name_m]Smith[/name_m], [name_f]Margaret[/name_f] [name_u]Atwood[/name_u], [name_f]Edna[/name_f] O’Brien, [name_u]Walter[/name_u] [name_u]Mosley[/name_u], and [name_u]Louise[/name_u] [name_u]Penny[/name_u].

1 Like

@SeleneMoon [name_f]Amy[/name_f] is my favourite character too! I think she’s really interesting and that her passion (and talent) for art is sometimes brushed aside even in the novel. i like how you get to see her grow too!

@nameaddictmadison I’m definitely going to have to read that at some point!!

@BeccaRhubarb [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Eyre[/name_f] and [name_f]Rebecca[/name_f] are great!!

@Emarkulics The Great [name_m]Gatsby[/name_m] is great :grin:

@miloowen [name_m]Beowulf[/name_m] is interesting!! [name_m]Moby[/name_m] [name_m]Dick[/name_m] is on my list and [name_m]Ive[/name_m] heard good things about The Left Hand of Darkness! I’ll have to look into the others :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I loved reading Great Expectations in school! I absolutely adored fiery little [name_f]Estella[/name_f]. It was just such fun to read!

[name_f]My[/name_f] favorite little women characters are truthfully all of them… :rofl: But I have a soft spot for each of the sisters. There are lots of girls in my family, and I see them in each of us!

1 Like

@Jane_Hazel_Wolfe
[name_f]Estella[/name_f] is great!!

That’s valid! They’re all so interesting and well drawn:)

[name_f]Lovely[/name_f] choice!! Not my personal favourite but definitely a great book.

I’m going to have to be basic, and say Great Expectations. I just really love the book and enjoy Dickens’ writing style! Other than that, someone mentioned Murder on the Orient Express which is equally wonderful.
[name_m]Little[/name_m] Women was my favourite as a kid! Though I read it so much that I memorized it and am now a bit bored of it haha.
One that not many people would know is En Famille by [name_m]Hector[/name_m] Malot, which I also adored as a child.
Honourable mentions:
Animal Farm
Dubliners by [name_u]James[/name_u] [name_u]Joyce[/name_u]
The Great [name_m]Gatsby[/name_m]
Watership Down
The [name_u]Sea[/name_u] of Fertility series by [name_m]Yukio[/name_m] Mishima (seriously, so good! i’m just not as attached because i read it more recently)

2 Likes

This is a difficult question! I read many of them as a child (when I had more free time and more motivation to read “the greats” specifically), I might not have appreciated them as much as I could. (There’s also some I remember enjoying but haven’t read since and don’t remember well like A Connecticut Yankee in [name_m]King[/name_m] Arthur’s [name_m]Court[/name_m] by [name_m]Mark[/name_m] [name_m]Twain[/name_m] and War and [name_u]Peace[/name_u] by [name_u]Leo[/name_u] Tolstoy. )

The two that made the most impact (common on this site) on me were probably [name_m]Little[/name_m] Women by [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] [name_f]May[/name_f] [name_u]Alcott[/name_u] and A Tree Grows in [name_u]Brooklyn[/name_u] by [name_f]Betty[/name_f] [name_m]Smith[/name_m]. That might be because they have grown with me the most, and I’ve been able to connect with the stories since I first read them at 7 or 8.

Off the top of my head, I’m a fan of all the [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_u]Austen[/name_u] I have read (not [name_m]Mansfield[/name_m] [name_u]Park[/name_u] or Northanger [name_u]Abbey[/name_u] yet), Shakespeare’s comedies, Tolkien’s work, Animal Farm by [name_u]George[/name_u] [name_m]Orwell[/name_m], Invisible [name_u]Man[/name_u] by [name_m]Ralph[/name_m] [name_u]Ellison[/name_u], [name_f]Agatha[/name_f] Christie’s work, and the poetry of Wislawa Szymborska, W.H. [name_u]Auden[/name_u], [name_f]Maya[/name_f] [name_f]Angelou[/name_f], [name_m]Khalil[/name_m] [name_m]Gibran[/name_m], and [name_m]Langston[/name_m] [name_m]Hughes[/name_m]. I’m also a fan of children’s classics such as [name_m]Little[/name_m] House on the [name_u]Prairie[/name_u] by [name_f]Laura[/name_f] Ingalls [name_u]Wilder[/name_u], The [name_f]Secret[/name_f] Garden by [name_f]France[/name_f] [name_m]Hodgson[/name_m] [name_m]Burnett[/name_m], The Chronicles of [name_f]Narnia[/name_f] by C.S. [name_m]Lewis[/name_m], and [name_f]Alice[/name_f] in Wonderland by [name_m]Lewis[/name_m] [name_u]Carroll[/name_u].

Sorry, that got a little long!

1 Like