What are your impressions on Marina and Julia?

We’re down to [name_f]Julia[/name_f] and [name_f]Marina[/name_f] now.

What are your impressions on them?

For Spanish speakers, would you say [name_f]Julia[/name_f] has a harsh sound in Spanish? It’s the only thing that bothers me about the name.

We removed [name_f]Elena[/name_f] and [name_f]Catarina[/name_f] from our list. I love them both, but DH preferred the other two over [name_f]Catarina[/name_f]. I love [name_f]Elena[/name_f], but all the different pronunciations drive me crazy.

Suggestions would be great, but I feel like we’ve gone through every name in the book already :unamused:.

Thank you so much :).

[name_f]Julia[/name_f] and [name_f]Marina[/name_f] both look like very pretty names to me.

1 Like

I like them both!
Julia is more of a classic, familiar name. Everybody knows a Julia, if that makes sense. I know some people on namberry have told me that they find it dated, though I personally disagree.
Marina is fun! It has a familiar sound but is ultimately unique, and I like that it has many nickname options.

1 Like

Yes, people have told me [name_f]Julia[/name_f] is dated too. I personally don’t know any Julia’s. I have known Julie’s in the past though.

I also find [name_f]Marina[/name_f] spunky, and fresh sounding. DH thinks of boat docks lol, but he’s willing to overlook it because he knows I love it.

Thank you ladies. :slight_smile:

I prefer [name_f]Marina[/name_f] - sleek, stylish and pretty

1 Like

I love [name_f]Marina[/name_f]! I think it’s a cool word name that doesn’t feel like a word name, and for me I like that it has a connection to water.
[name_f]Julia[/name_f] feels dated to me, and just mediocre. I don’t hate it but I just don’t feel strongly about it in any way. It doesn’t have any kind of wow factor or anything, it’s just a classic name everyone’s heard. Although that might be why you love it, and that’s fine, just not my personal style! I did nanny a baby girl named [name_u]Julie[/name_u] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] and she was super cute, and I’ve been hearing the name pop up more often lately, so maybe it won’t feel so dated anymore.

1 Like

I have a little [name_f]Julia[/name_f] (named after my great grandmother) so I am biased but I think it’s a lovely, classic name that ages well. People have told me it is an unexpected choice today as it is not currently popular. Growing up I had 650 students in my graduating class and only one [name_f]Julia[/name_f]. Today, my [name_f]Julia[/name_f] is the only one in her pre school. Though everyone may know a [name_f]Julia[/name_f] there are not very many, and It is a classic name that ages well and it is not popular or trendy right now. I love that I would be unable to guess the age of a “Julia” because it has a timeless feel. With that being said, I also think [name_f]Marina[/name_f] is a beautiful name. This is my cousin’s name and I’ve always loved it. This would be an even more unique choice than [name_f]Julia[/name_f], but as I stated above I really do not think your little [name_f]Julia[/name_f] would meet many others if that is of concern to you at all :). We call our [name_f]Julia[/name_f] “Jules” and I’m also very biased to that nickname as I’ve always loved the name [name_u]Jules[/name_u]!

3 Likes

I think [name_f]Julia[/name_f] is so pretty and understated and chic! I think [name_f]Marina[/name_f] is pretty too but [name_f]Julia[/name_f] has a certain charm that just feels timeless and elegant.

4 Likes

I really love [name_m]Julio[/name_m] in Spanish but maybe [name_f]Julia[/name_f] does have a bit of a harsh well, not harsh… distinctive sound. It’s not different from the sound in [name_u]Ruby[/name_u] and I don’t consider that harsh. I think they all have very fun playful sounds.

By contrast [name_f]Marina[/name_f] sounds a more refined. I think I prefer [name_f]Marina[/name_f].

1 Like

I love both [name_f]Julia[/name_f] and [name_f]Marina[/name_f] – [name_f]Julia[/name_f] is warm, familiar and classic without feeling completely overdone, while [name_f]Marina[/name_f] is bright, melodic and elegant. Overall, I think I prefer [name_f]Marina[/name_f] – It’s fresher and more distinctive in feel.

2 Likes

[name_f]Marina[/name_f] is fun, spunky, and fresh! [name_f]Julia[/name_f] is classic, but it definitely feels more run-of-the-mill to me. I would be excited to meet a little [name_f]Marina[/name_f], while a little [name_f]Julia[/name_f] wouldn’t make me bat an eyelash at all.

3 Likes

[name_f]Marina[/name_f] is my favorite! I can’t really imagine [name_f]Julia[/name_f] as a little kid for some reason

1 Like

Your daughter’s name is beautiful! I think it is unexpected, which I love. I worry about it sounding dated, but a little confused why [name_f]Julia[/name_f] would sound dated, but not names like [name_f]Helen[/name_f], or [name_f]Louisa[/name_f] which I see popping up everywhere now. :thinking:

1 Like

I personally prefer [name_f]Marina[/name_f]! It reminds me of the sea, and I like the sound of it too :ocean:

With [name_f]Julia[/name_f], the Spanish pronunciation is different than the [name_f]English[/name_f] pronunciation.

Leaving aside what I know of your naming journey, my very first and strongest association with [name_f]Marina[/name_f] is the musical artist formerly known as [name_f]Marina[/name_f] and the Diamonds, now just [name_f]Marina[/name_f]. A distant second would be the moorages along the [name_f]Columbia[/name_f] [name_u]River[/name_u] in [name_m]Portland[/name_m] - there are dozens of them collectively referred to as “the marina.” For [name_f]Julia[/name_f], my first association is [name_f]Julia[/name_f] Childs, as well as the movie [name_u]Julie[/name_u] and [name_f]Julia[/name_f] in which she is played by [name_f]Meryl[/name_f] Streep. I also think of iconic actresses [name_f]Julia[/name_f] [name_m]Roberts[/name_m] and [name_u]Julie[/name_u] Andrews.

Because of these associations, [name_f]Marina[/name_f] has a very sharp and glossy feel to me, all silver vinyl dresses, rainbow sequins, and angular eyeliner, followed by nautical and deep sea imagery. By contrast [name_f]Julia[/name_f] feels very warm and earthy, all sunny kitchen windows, fresh-baked bread, warm, hazel eyes, and unabashed laughter.

I feel like from what I know of your sibset, your girls’ names are all very familiar and classic names with a soft, feminine, and musical sound. I think [name_f]Julia[/name_f] feels like it belongs to all those same categories, while [name_f]Marina[/name_f] is sharper, and more distinctive; less classic, and more modern. Between the two, I would choose [name_f]Julia[/name_f].

4 Likes

i love marina, and prefer it to julia!

marina has a more sleek, distinct feel to it, while julia seems a little more common.

1 Like

I like both, but for me [name_f]Marina[/name_f] has the edge!

1 Like

Both [name_f]Julia[/name_f] & [name_f]Marina[/name_f] are gorgeous!

[name_f]Julia[/name_f] feels very classic, elegant and timeless. She has this summertime feel and overall is a rather effortless choice.

[name_f]Marina[/name_f] is also gorgeous to me she feels more unexpected and quirky. I love the association with harbours and the water the imagery to me feels peaceful.

I think I prefer [name_f]Marina[/name_f] due to the imagery but both are lovely

2 Likes

What are the siblings names?

Loved your post! Thank you! :slight_smile:

1 Like