What are your thoughts on Inga?

When we named our daughter [name]Ingrid[/name], the nickname [name]Inga[/name] was the last thing I thought I would be calling her :smiley:

I never particularly liked the name [name]Inga[/name]…it sounded kind of dusty and foreign to me (I live in the US and have never met an [name]Inga[/name]). But, I am actually finding myself calling her [name]Inga[/name], and I have to admit it is pretty cute on her. Her other potential nickname is [name]Indi[/name]/[name]Indie[/name], but my DH doesn’t like it very much (he thinks of [name]Indiana[/name] [name]Jones[/name], [name]Indie[/name] music, the [name]Indy[/name] 500, etc).

So what would be your thoughts if you met a little [name]Inga[/name]?
Is it too old fashioned and clunky and harsh? Or kind of cute and spunky and fresh?
Would it work in the US as a nickname?
Granted, I think she will go by [name]Ingrid[/name] most of the time, but I still enjoy using nicknames. Or should I start pushing the nn [name]Indie[/name]? I absolutely love the nn [name]Indie[/name], but I have always pictured an [name]Indie[/name] to be kind of dark and exotic looking (dark hair, long dark eyelashes, etc). My [name]Ingrid[/name] is quite opposite – she has big blue eyes, pale skin, and blonde hair. Very Scandinavian looking :wink:

I would love your feedback!

I think [name]Inga[/name] is really sweet and much prefer it over [name]Indie[/name]. I don’t find it old fashioned or clunky. I like it a lot! And it seems to fit her. :slight_smile:

Your daughter [name]Ingrid[/name] is blue eyed, fair and blonde so I think the nn [name]Inga[/name] is perfect for her! The name is Scandinavian and your daughter looks the part! I don’t mind it at all. I can’t see the appeal of [name]Indie[/name] myself. It reminds me of the [name]Indy[/name] 500 auto race. I think you’ve chosen well.

I think it can work. Nicknames don’t have to have much in common with the given name, so the fact alone that you’ve got the first 3 letters in common is pretty close! :slight_smile:

My first impression was that it’s not the correct spelling… but since you’re using it as a nickname I think that matters waaay less. In my exposure ([name]German[/name] class) “[name]Inge[/name]” is the name, pronounced with an “uh” sound on the end. According to [name]Baby[/name] Name Addicts in [name]German[/name] and Scandinavian countries it’s [name]Inge[/name], the Sweedish use [name]Inga[/name]. Behind the name says that [name]Inga[/name] (feminine use) is derived from [name]Inge[/name] (unisex). Either way if she remains blonde and blue, it’ll suit!

I love [name]Inga[/name]/[name]Inge[/name] as a nickname for [name]Ingrid[/name]!!

I love [name]Ingrid[/name] but it sounds silly with our last name, and the other half doesn’t like it. :frowning:
She sounds like a perfect [name]Ingrid[/name]!

I love [name]Inga[/name]!!! I think it’s beautiful, and also great that it’s a nickname for [name]Ingrid[/name] :smiley:

Thank you all for the feedback, that makes me feel so much better! :slight_smile: I know [name]Inga[/name] isn’t everyone’s style, but as long as it isn’t awful, LOL, we will be happy with it.

I actually prefer the spelling [name]Inge[/name], but do you think people in the states would see that and pronounce it “Ing” or “Ing-ee?”

I know she’ll stay blue-eyed, but the blonde will certainly turn to brown eventually! :wink: