What are your thoughts on Noah as a gender neutral name?

Title. TIA!

1 Like

All boy for me! [name_u]Love[/name_u] [name_u]Noa[/name_u] for a girl.

3 Likes

I would 100% assume a [name_u]Noah[/name_u] was a boy – it’s been one of the most popular boys’ names in the US and UK for years so there are tons of young boys named [name_u]Noah[/name_u] right now – but I do consider it a unisex name and I wouldn’t be surprised to meet a girl [name_u]Noah[/name_u]. That said, I much prefer [name_u]Noa[/name_u] for a girl.

1 Like

I see it as pretty neutral but masc. leaning. Wouldn’t be surprised if I met a girl named [name_u]Noah[/name_u] though and think it’s quite wearable for any gender.

[name_u]Noah[/name_u] is all boy to me. I know they say [name_u]Noa[/name_u] is the feminine version but, to my knowledge, they are pronounced the same way. I can definitely see parents just using [name_u]Noah[/name_u] for their daughters. I’m sure plenty already have.

I’m not a fan of the name in general but I do wish this one stayed on the boys side.

Seeing it written, in my opinion [name_u]Noah[/name_u] is for a boy and [name_u]Noa[/name_u] is for a girl. I’ve met a few baby girls named [name_u]Noa[/name_u] recently, so maybe that’s why I’m biased by the spelling because they’re obviously pronounced the same way!

If you’re going on pronunciation I think it’sa nice gender neutral name! (Spelling on the other hand…)

i would assume a noah is a boy (in fact, i LOVE it on a boy) but if i heard it on a girl it wouldn’t be crazy strange.

[name_u]Noah[/name_u] is in the top 50 of my country for boys and, to be honest, even though I do not straightly assume gender I would think it probably is a boy indeed.
Since it is a femenine name in the Bible and the [name_u]Noah[/name_u] of the Bible is a strong woman who, asked for her rights with her sisters, I think it is a nice namesake for a girl. Also because, this is not a gender bended name or something invented like someone claim; a legitimate girl name from the Bible.
Also, [name_u]Noah[/name_u] and [name_u]Noa[/name_u] are different names. In some countries, like [name_u]France[/name_u], [name_u]Noah[/name_u] and [name_u]Noa[/name_u] are used both for boys; in some other countries [name_u]Noah[/name_u] is also femenine. This name is a complicated one, you do you!

2 Likes

I quite like it :slight_smile: i would assume boy at first since it’s so popular for boys (#1 in the UK) but it’s not odd as a gender neutral name

[name_u]Noah[/name_u] is for boys

[name_u]Noa[/name_u] is for girls

:white_heart:

1 Like

I know a little Noah (b) and a little Noa (g) but I don’t think I’d be surprised to meet a female Noah. It’s not particularly different from Leah, for example.

1 Like

[name_u]Noah[/name_u] is male imo. I think it would be okay to use for a girl - naming a girl [name_u]Noah[/name_u] is very different than naming her [name_m]Paul[/name_m] for example.

[name_u]Noa[/name_u] is originally feminine and I would always assume it’s a girl if I saw it written down.

I don’t like [name_u]Noah[/name_u] mainly because it’s such a popular boy name but I love [name_u]Noa[/name_u] for a girl!

1 Like

I think it’s great. I’d assume a [name_u]Noah[/name_u] was a boy just in paper, but I’d be pleased to meet a girl or enby (or anything in between or otherwise) named [name_u]Noah[/name_u]!

It’s complicated by the fact that in Hebrew [name_u]Noah[/name_u] (boy) and [name_u]Noah[/name_u] (girl) have different spellings and pronunciations, but in [name_f]English[/name_f] they happened to be spelled and pronounced the same. And also, the man in the Bible named [name_u]Noah[/name_u] happens to be a lot more known to the general public than the woman named [name_u]Noah[/name_u].

So, yes, it is a unisex name, but the Biblical girl’s name [name_u]Noah[/name_u] has a totally different meaning than the boy’s name [name_u]Noah[/name_u]. I like [name_u]Noah[/name_u] for a girl but unfortunately, I can see some people getting snippy and telling a girl named [name_u]Noah[/name_u] that she has a boy’s name.

I have no problem with it! [name_u]Noah[/name_u] is the name of both a male biblical figure and a female one. I don’t personally care for it in general, but it definitely works.

@choupette that’s so interesting! I had no idea they had different backgrounds!

It’s all boy to me

Cute, and traditionally neutral regardless so, why not!

[name_u]Noah[/name_u] is a male name.

[name_u]Noah[/name_u] is all boy to me, [name_u]Noa[/name_u] is all girl.