what are your thoughts on surnames as 1st names?

i love these surnames as first names would you consider them for you?
[name]Arden[/name]
[name]Monroe[/name]
Atlet
[name]Whitley[/name]
Greenley
[name]Hadley[/name]
[name]Hartley[/name]
[name]Yardley[/name]
[name]Quinn[/name]

Personally, I like the sound of many surnames as firsts. If you like it I can’t see why you can’t use it. I would consider if there have been any namesakes throughout history attached to the name and make sure that what that person represents falls in line with my ideals. Last names resonate louder than firsts when it comes to historical impact.

I like [name]Arden[/name] and [name]Quinn[/name] but I don’t like the ideas of surnames as first names. I knew a girl name Pattersyn and thought it was just a horrible name, especially for a little girl.

I like a lot of last names as first names, and place names too. I also find many of them to be unisex too.

From your list, I like [name]Arden[/name], [name]Hadley[/name] and [name]Quinn[/name]. Personally, I find the whole “surname as first name” trend such an epidemic that it’s becoming somewhat boring to me. So many people have jumped on the bandwagon that I don’t find these names very unique or interesting anymore. Once in awile, the odd surname will crop up and I’ll say “I haven’t heard that one before” but most of the time it’s the same ones over and over again. I don’t mind parents choosing family names but I think alot of surnames are chosen because they somehow give the impression of being “socially superior” and they just end up sounding pretentious (eg. Carrington, [name]Remington[/name], [name]Kensington[/name] etc…).

I’m sort of so-so on the trend. Some of the names I like a lot, but overall I think it’s a bit overdone. I’m a bit sick of [name]Mac[/name]-, -son, and -ley names. I do like them if they’re family names, though. I tend to like the trend more for boys-I love [name]Mercer[/name], [name]Auden[/name], [name]Archer[/name], and [name]Flynn[/name].

[name]Bellamy[/name] is the only surname I think I’d ever actually consider for a girl (and it honors someone important to me.) I like [name]Hadley[/name] and [name]Quinn[/name] best from your list, but I really don’t think I’d ever use either name. I don’t mind [name]Harper[/name] on a girl either.

I don’t know if this makes any sense but I don’t like last names as first names that sound like last names. Someone mentioned my last name as a first name once and to me that would be really weird since I’ve never heard of it as a first name. But there are some I don’t mind.

Out of your list:
[name]Arden[/name] - Meh
[name]Monroe[/name] - This is a guilty pleasure name for me but I’d never use it. It’s ok.
Atlet - No
[name]Whitley[/name] - No, I like [name]Whitney[/name] tons more.
Greenley - No
[name]Hadley[/name] - Wouldn’t use it but don’t think it’s bad.
[name]Hartley[/name] - Meh
[name]Yardley[/name] - No
[name]Quinn[/name] - This has been used a lot for a first name especially recently so I’m ok with it.

I can see [name]Arden[/name], [name]Monroe[/name] and [name]Hadley[/name] being used and working nicely :slight_smile: I think [name]Quinn[/name] would be nice too but I strongly prefer it for boys/ The others seem to be a bit clunky to use.

I’ve always loved them. But I agree with one of the above posters, NOT if they sound to pretensious (i.e. Carrington etc.). We named our two girls [name]Vail[/name] and [name]Miller[/name] so I clearly think they are great.
I think all your names are great. I especially like [name]Arden[/name], [name]Monroe[/name] and [name]Quin[/name]!

I am a fan of a surname as a first name! [name]Even[/name] if it is a trend right now, i’ve aways liked it and say go for it if you do! I’m from the South and it has always been common for girls to have a double name with one name being a surname…[name]Mary[/name] [name]Michael[/name], [name]Mary[/name] [name]Scott[/name], [name]Mary[/name] [name]Sutton[/name], etc.
one of my top girl names right now is [name]Mary[/name] [name]Marlowe[/name]. Out of all your names [name]Arden[/name] is my favorite!