What are your thoughts on the name Felicity?

[name]Just[/name] currious… What do you think? Is this a usable name? What do you picture whan you hear this name? Is it too tied to the American [name]Doll[/name]?
I’d love to hear your thoughts! :slight_smile:

[name]Felicity[/name] means happy and this is one thing I think of when I hear this name. I don’t mind it but I wouldn’t use it.

I love [name]Felicity[/name] but not quite brave enough to use it!

I have no idea what the American [name]Doll[/name] is, if that helps. I do think of the [name]Keri[/name] [name]Russell[/name] TV show from back in the day, though.

[name]Hi[/name]! I love the name [name]Felicity[/name] (it’s one of my favorites), and I personally wouldn’t hesitate to use it. :slight_smile:

I think it’s sweet and elegant at the same time, and I love its Colonial feel.

Good luck! :slight_smile:

I think of the show “[name]Felicity[/name]” with [name]Keri[/name] [name]Russell[/name] also. I felt while it was on the air, a little too “obvious” but now I feel a little more comfortable - I had the same issue with [name]Phoebe[/name] while “Friends” was on, I know it’s on heavy reruns still, but it’s had a cooling-off period.

I loved the name [name]Felicity[/name] when I heard it for the show. I may have even loved it a long time, but felt that it was too strong and weird of a choice before there was actually a character on tv. I didn’t watch the show, but I think the character had an average-ness to her - the name wouldn’t be too related to any significant flaws or characteristics, in my mind. That helped tranlate this name to me from an out of left field kind of name to an approachable, yet distinct name. I am sorry, I can’t help you with American Girl Dolls - I know a lot of people are into it, but I don’t feel any strong reason not to use the name because of the dolls. There is also [name]Felicity[/name] Huffman of “Desperate Housewives,” and while I don’t watch the show, I still don’t think that the name gets any marks off for what her character might be like. [name]Eva[/name] Longoria [name]Parker[/name]'s name isn’t suffering on the charts. [name]Felicity[/name] Huffman seems like a pretty cool lady in interviews. Felicity Huffman - IMDb

My usual take on word names and virtue names is that I don’t really feel them, but [name]Felicity[/name] is definitely one exception. I love how it sounds. I don’t think we use [name]Felicity[/name] as a word commonly enough that it still seems like a name, but people can recognize its meaning instantly. Plus, important to me, it is not a religious virtue. This may or may not count as much for you. I even excuse its length, while I often prefer short and uncomplicated names, [name]Felicity[/name] is one of my favorite longer names, to a degree that I would actually consider using it and not just like it abstractly. Of all the names that mean “happiness,” it is my favorite.

These are all my thoughts on the name [name]Felicity[/name]. <3 it!

I’ve always liked this name and especially nn [name]Flick[/name] for [name]Felicity[/name]. Never heard of a doll named [name]Felicity[/name].

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Felicity[/name]. I think it’s a perfectly suitable name and would use it. I think it’s classy and classic and the doll association only makes me love it more! I’m sure any little girl would love to share a name with the doll and have all the stories that go along with it!

[name]Karen[/name] has summed up pretty much all my thoughts on [name]Felicity[/name] exactly. So I second her whole post!

I think [name]Felicity[/name] is a lovely dignified but playful sounding name. And [name]Flick[/name] or Lissy are lovely nicknames.

Thanks so much, ladies! I loved hearing all your thoughts on the name [name]Felicity[/name]. Thanks for the detailed responces. I don’t watch TV, so any conections there aren’t a problem, but I do still like to know what, or who, others think of when they hear a paticular name. I think [name]Felicity[/name] is such a pretty name, and I love the meaning, but it’s one of those names I’m not sure I would use. After hearing all of your comments though, I feel a little more confident about the name. Now I have to see what my hubby thinks! :wink:
Thanks again!!!

Thanks so much, ladies! I loved hearing all your thoughts on the name [name]Felicity[/name]. Thanks for the detailed responses. I don’t watch TV, so any conections there aren’t a problem, but I do still like to know what, or who, others think of when they hear a paticular name. I think [name]Felicity[/name] is such a pretty name, and I love the meaning, but it’s one of those names I’m not sure I would use. After hearing all of your comments though, I feel a little more confident about the name. Now I have to see what my hubby thinks! :wink:
Thanks again!!!

P.S. Someone mentioned the nn Lissy - [name]LOVE[/name] that!!!

I think it is beautiful! One of my dear friends is named [name]Felicity[/name], but she goes by Fizzy. [name]How[/name] cute is that?!

[name]Just[/name] asked my hubby if he liked the [name]Felicity[/name]… He said he really liked the meaning, and it would make a great name for a boat! :wink: LOL! Guess we won’t be using that name! :slight_smile:

[name]Felicity[/name] is a gorgeous name!

The American Girl dolls will only be known by a select group of US girls and women - I know a lot of people here in the US who have never heard of them, and they aren’t going to be marketed outside the US due to the American [name]History[/name] angle they are coming from. Those of us who do know what the dolls are would probably [name]LOVE[/name] to meet a real-life [name]Felicity[/name]; she has the prettiest name of all the dolls!

[name]Felicity[/name] has a great history, meaning and sound, not just associated with American Girl dolls!! Also, not many people are going to remember [name]Felicity[/name] the show when your daughter is, say 10 - in our hyper-media world, the show will be a hazy memory!

I love, love, love [name]Felicity[/name] and just wish I could get DH on board. (I mention it periodically to see if it’s taken root yet). I second everything in karen’s post too, it is the best of the virtue names because it is not too obvious or burdensome to the child (like [name]Chastity[/name] is, for example) and not a word that’s commonly used so it still seems like a name. I don’t have a problem with any of the associations - [name]Felicity[/name] the show, [name]Felicity[/name] Huffman or the doll. My only complaint is actually the nicknames - I don’t care for [name]Flick[/name]/Flicka and Lissy sounds to babyish to me. But I love Fizzy that was mentioned by someone else! It makes me love [name]Felicity[/name] even more!