What aspect of naming interests you the most?

[name]Do[/name] you love creating first name/middle name combinations? Making lists? Naming toys, inanimate objects, or your own children? Writing stories and naming the characters? Or is it something else?

For me, the reasons behind trends have always fascinated me: why people choose the names that they choose, why certain names are popular while others are kept under wraps, and why certain names feel old, dated or unfashionable.
I also enjoy naming inanimate objects: my iPod (Chl”e, as it is green and Chl”e means “young green shoot”), my flute-playing garden gnome ([name]Barnaby[/name] the Diminutive), and the bread cutter that cuts my bread into cool shapes ([name]Archibald[/name]) are all referred to by their names. I am currently deliberating on names for my clarinet ( meaning brown, black, or dark: [name]Bruno[/name]? [name]Guadalupe[/name]? [name]Leila[/name]? [name]Nigel[/name]? [name]Sullivan[/name]?).

What about all of you? I am interested to hear what you have to say about this.

I’m really interested in naming trends - why people and things are given the names they are, how those traditions vary by region, generation and class, and what they mean. You can blame my interest in medieval re-enactment for that. I’m also interested as someone who hated her first name enough to legally change it. (Probably the start of my interest in name analysis came during my lengthy disessections of WHAT and WHY I hated the name my parents stuck me with)

I’ve loved names for as long as I remember-- I don’t really know why, actually! Maybe it has to do with the linguistics and the meanings. I also like creating combos of first and middle. I guess it’s just a passion of mine…

Mostly because of writing…I have been writing stories since I was five and I just always loved naming characters, creating personalities etc.

I love thinking of first and middle name combinations to go with last names because they are like little poems that relax me.
Also love to make lists of names. [name]Love[/name] classic, vintage, and outhip the hipster names. Plus I love international versions of names. I love to even make lists of names that I would never use myself.
It’s so interesting to hear other people’s opinions of names I would never consider. It makes me think of the names they love in a new way. Sometimes I start loving them, too. That happened with [name]Freya[/name] and [name]Reed[/name].
I love really odd names like [name]Horatio[/name], [name]Herman[/name], [name]Hector[/name], [name]Clotilda[/name], [name]Bernice[/name], and [name]Maude[/name]. I would only ever consider these names in the middle spot. But it’s fun to think about them, and to think of names that sound good with them. I love to imagine what a boy named [name]Horatio[/name] or a girl named [name]Clotilda[/name] would look like. I also love to think about how funny if some of these really odd names came in style in a few years, and everyone was talking about them!

I use to write poetry all of the time and the way you called name combinations “little poems” I think is beautiful.

I’ve loved names for a long time and have always made lists of names. I think names, their meanings, and the way they sound appeal to my inner romantic daydreamer.
[name]Even[/name] though I know I wont be able to use many of the names I love, there is something so exciting about seeing a name written out.
Thanks to this site I am seeing names like [name]Hazel[/name] and [name]Mabel[/name] that were once spoken of negatively when I was growing, hence my apprehension of them in a new light. I am now seeing their potential to be re-born in a world of [name]Jaden[/name]'s and [name]Emily[/name]'s.

Great thread, Salifer! :slight_smile:

I love planning the names of my children, and I love the creativity involved with coming up with different combinations. I love the sound of names and their meanings, too.

I hope school is going well for you! :slight_smile: