What book(s) do you read over and over?

I want to know what books you berries love so much that you can read them over and over. If you could also write a little bit about why you love it so much I would appreciate it.

I will graduate in [name_u]March[/name_u] (finally!) and I want to jump right into reading as my list has grown quite large over the last three years. I like to read all different kinds of books but I’m looking to make a list of books that really stick with you, books that you can read over and over.

Some of my favourite books [name_u]EVER[/name_u] are:

• The Book Theif
  • Shatter me (this is a series)
  • Silverwing (also a series)
  • Matched (series)
  • The naming (really good series)

But I am a bit younger than you so my suggestions might not be very good.

Pride and Prejudice. :slight_smile:

I’m seriously thinking about re-reading [name_u]Les[/name_u] Miserables, too–I adore the novel!

I’m not sure if they would appeal to you, but most of the ones I reread are by my favorite [name_m]Christian[/name_m] authors. [name_m]Irwin[/name_m] McManus’s The Barbarian [name_m]Way[/name_m], [name_m]John[/name_m] and Stasi [name_m]Eldredge[/name_m]'s Captivating, most (if not all) of [name_f]Dee[/name_f] [name_m]Henderson[/name_m]'s hearly stuff, some [name_f]Hannah[/name_f] [name_m]Alexander[/name_m], [name_f]Susan[/name_f] [name_f]May[/name_f] [name_m]Warren[/name_m], etc. I just love the characters, the suspense, etc. They write good stories. For me, anyway. I don’t know how someone who’s not a devout [name_m]Christian[/name_m] (as I know you’re not) would take them, lol.

But [name_u]Les[/name_u] Mis has everything–just find a good abridged version so you’re not getting all the political diatribes, and you’ll be fine. :wink: The story and the characters are absolutely captivating.

• Eat, Pray, [name_u]Love[/name_u] by [name_f]Elizabeth[/name_f] [name_m]Gilbert[/name_m]
  • [name_u]Love[/name_u] in the Time of Cholera by [name_m]Gabriel[/name_m] [name_u]Garcia[/name_u] [name_m]Marquez[/name_m]
  • The House of Spirits by [name_f]Isabel[/name_f] Allende
  • The [name_m]Thorn[/name_m] Birds by [name_f]Colleen[/name_f] McCullough
  • [name_f]Olivia[/name_f] and the [name_f]Fairy[/name_f] Princesses (children’s book that I am guilty of loving unconditionally) by [name_m]Ian[/name_m] [name_m]Falconer[/name_m]
  • The [name_m]Lion[/name_m], The Witch and The Wardrobe by CS [name_m]Lewis[/name_m]
  • Purple Hibiscus by [name_f]Chimamanda[/name_f] [name_f]Ngozi[/name_f] Adichie
  • [name_f]Catherine[/name_f] the Great by [name_m]Robert[/name_m] [name_u]Massey[/name_u]
  • [name_f]Antigone[/name_f] by Sophocles
  • Mrs. Dalloway by [name_f]Virginia[/name_f] [name_m]Woolf[/name_m]
  • The Last of the Soviets by [name_f]Svetlana[/name_f] Alexievich

I love re-reading books by L.M. [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m]. She’s best-known as the author of “[name_f]Anne[/name_f] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables” and its sequels - which I adore - but I think my favorite of her books is “The [name_u]Blue[/name_u] Castle”, her only book really aimed at adults. What a fun read that is! Yes, her books are a little old-fashioned, but they have a wonderful narrative style and quite a lot of humor.

Thank you everyone! I love all of these suggestions - any and all genres are welcome! I love to read and I like to change it up. One of my personal favorites is The [name_f]Secret[/name_f] Garden by [name_f]Frances[/name_f] [name_m]Hodgson[/name_m] [name_m]Burnett[/name_m], I’ve probably read it 10-15 times. I finally got around to reading The Alchemist by [name_m]Paulo[/name_m] Coelho and I think that will be one that I read over and over again. I think it’s the type of book that reveals something new/different each time you read it.

Keep em coming!

My absolute favourite book is The Tenant of Wildfell [name_m]Hall[/name_m] by [name_f]Anne[/name_f] [name_f]Bronte[/name_f]!! I also really love [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Eyre[/name_f] by [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Bronte[/name_f]! [name_f]Tess[/name_f] of the D’Urbervilles by [name_m]Thomas[/name_m] [name_m]Hardy[/name_m] is also beautifully written and honest, but I think it has a horrible ending (sorry if you think that spoils it).

The [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] Series JK Rowling
[name_f]Anne[/name_f] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables Series LM [name_m]Montgomery[/name_m]
The Mortal Instruments Series [name_f]Cassandra[/name_f] [name_u]Clare[/name_u]
The [name_m]Mark[/name_m] of the [name_m]Lion[/name_m] Series [name_f]Francine[/name_f] [name_m]Rivers[/name_m]
The [name_u]Percy[/name_u] [name_m]Jackson[/name_m] Series (both of them)

Gonna bump this to see if I can get a few more suggestions. Please!

Speak by [name_u]Laurie[/name_u] [name_m]Halse[/name_m] [name_m]Anderson[/name_m]. Not the happiest topic, but I went through something very similar and the book illustrates what is so hard to explain to people…it’s a bit cathartic to me.

That’s all I can think of right now. I’ll have to get back to this when I think of more, but that is probably my number one book that I read over and over.

[name_m]Sol[/name_m] Invictus! And Momo, both books are great and I will make my sister/children read them too.

One book I always find my way back to is Catch 22. The misadventures of Yossarian made me both want to cry and laugh. The chapters are so thoughtfully arranged and it’s such an emotional roller coaster.

[name_f]Eleanor[/name_f] and [name_m]Park[/name_m]
I’ve read through that book about a million times by now.

I would read [name_f]Anne[/name_f] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables over and over.

[name_f]Shirley[/name_f], by [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Bronte[/name_f].

The only books I find myself returning to again and again:

[name_m]Midnight[/name_m]'s Children, by [name_m]Salman[/name_m] Rushdie
[name_m]Just[/name_m], I don’t even have the words… this is my alltime favorite book. The intertwining narrative with characters who disappear and suddenly seamlessly reappear hundreds of pages later. The witty roundabout sentence structure and made-up phrases that make more sense than what any established words could do. The imperfection of the allegory of [name_f]Indian[/name_f] political struggles and the character “hand-cuffed to history.”

Brother, I’m Dying, by [name_f]Edwidge[/name_f] Danticat
A super awesome memoir.

The Quickening, by [name_f]Michelle[/name_f] [name_m]Hoover[/name_m]
Historical fiction in beautiful prose.

Salvage the Bones, by Jesmyn [name_m]Ward[/name_m]
An overall easy read, and everytime I open it, I glean something new.

Inheritance, by Lan [name_f]Samantha[/name_f] [name_m]Chang[/name_m]
[name_f]Poetry[/name_f] in prose, also beautifully-woven historical fiction

[name_m]Tevye[/name_m] the Dairyman, by Sholem Aleichem
Satirical roundabout sentences. Funny and heart-wrenching. It’s the basis for Fiddler on the Roof, but it is very different from the play.

Also, [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] (I reread the entire series every year. It changes every time.)
[name_f]Heidi[/name_f], by [name_f]Johanna[/name_f] Spyri

[name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Eyre[/name_f] is one of my favourites.

I could also never tire of the [name_m]Harry[/name_m] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] books, the [name_f]Anne[/name_f] of [name_u]Green[/name_u] Gables series, The Time [name_u]Traveller[/name_u]'s Wife, and [name_m]Little[/name_m] Women.

Two that haven’t been mentiones yet:
Seacrow Island by [name_f]Astrid[/name_f] Lindgren
[name_f]Alice[/name_f]'s adventures in wonderland by [name_m]Lewis[/name_m] [name_u]Carroll[/name_u]

The Tombs of Atuan and Tehanu - by [name_f]Ursula[/name_f] K. LeGuin. Part of the Earthsea Cycle but these two are my favorites. The Eye of the [name_m]Heron[/name_m] - Also by [name_f]Ursula[/name_f] K. LeGuin. She’s easily one of my favorite authors

[name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Eyre[/name_f] - by [name_f]Charlotte[/name_f] [name_f]Bronte[/name_f]

The [name_m]Black[/name_m] [name_f]Swan[/name_f] and The [name_m]Fire[/name_m] [name_f]Rose[/name_f] - by [name_f]Mercedes[/name_f] Lackey. I love most of Ms. Lackey’s writing as well. The [name_m]Valdemar[/name_m] Series and The Elemental Masters series are fantastic! Though I would not recommend the A Tale of the Five Hundred Kingdoms Series. Too much romance, not enough plot for me.

The Adventures of [name_m]Sherlock[/name_m] [name_m]Holmes[/name_m] - by Sir [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] [name_m]Conan[/name_m] [name_m]Doyle[/name_m]

The Time [name_u]Traveler[/name_u]'s Wife - by [name_f]Audrey[/name_f] Niffenegger. [name_m]Don[/name_m]'t judge the book by it’s movie.

A lot of my favourite books have been mentioned (shout out to HP, [name_u]Percy[/name_u] [name_m]Jackson[/name_m], [name_f]Jane[/name_f] [name_f]Eyre[/name_f], P&P and the [name_f]Secret[/name_f] Garden). I would recommend all the [name_u]Austen[/name_u] books, though personally my favourites are P&P and Sense and Sensibility.
But my favourite series of all time is called the Pellinor Series by [name_u]Allison[/name_u] Croggon, in the UK the first book is called The Gift, but I think in the US it’s called The Naming. [name_u]Truly[/name_u] an excellent series if you like high fantasy (bards, magic etc)