What cliche(s) do you hate most?

lol never read or watched it sorry

Iā€™m bored by the hated, annoying, most popular kid triumphing over all the popular people and knocking them to the curb as the once hated kid suddenly becomes the most popular kid aroundā€¦

It just wonā€™t happen in real life, itā€™s boring.

2 Likes

Itā€™s just funny how JKR turned that classic cliche into the most popular series of all time

2 Likes

Also Eragon, [name_f]Star[/name_f] Wars, the other (newer) [name_f]Star[/name_f] Wars, Wheel of Time, [name_u]Legend[/name_u] of the Seeker, His Dark Materials and Spiderman. Itā€™s a well-used trope to say the least.

5 Likes

Yes. It is probably a third of books!

Yeah but all those books are so good I canā€™t bring myself to care because I love them :joy:

2 Likes

Well. Not [name_u]Legend[/name_u] of the Seeker. The first lesson the hero had to learn was how to lose his temper, like, wtf thatā€™s not a good thing, and everything. involves. rape. Like, need to characterize the villain? Have him rape a child. Need to characterize his minion? Have the two of them talk about how much they like raping children. Need a ritual of some sort? Must it be dark and edgy? [name_m]How[/name_m] about rape?
So I guess weā€™ve come around to the original topic of the thread again. Stories donā€™t become more ā€œmatureā€ by throwing sex, violence and sexual violence on them :angry:

4 Likes

gosh so sorry I havenā€™t read that, I wasnā€™t speaking broadly of the collection you mentioned

1 Like

Absolutely. When sex and violence arenā€™t treated with nuance, caution, and gravity, they become vulgar and gratuitous and donā€™t add any emotional resonance or depth to a work at all.

2 Likes

Along the same vein as @Wanderine, excessive, gratuitous, or meaningless violence and sexual content annoys me if it serves no purpose other than to provide some action or excitement. I think I said something earlier about works treating violence against or death of background characters or bad guys lightly, but this is a broader cliche I find distasteful.

1 Like

[name_m]Can[/name_m] I add, female characters who are made to seem strong because they were sexually assaulted in the past. A woman does not ā€œbecomeā€ strong because she had her autonomy violated. Sheā€™s always strong.

5 Likes

I mean, I think that it can be a factor as to why a woman is strong- maybe not because of the experience itself, but because afterwards she became physically strong because she wanted to make sure nothing like that ever was able to happen again, and emotionally strong because sheā€™s like ā€œif I can get through thatā€¦ā€ or somethingā€¦ I dunno where Iā€™m going with this!

1 Like

Iā€™m not saying that victims arenā€™t strong, Iā€™m just saying that women (and people in general, I just see this trope most often in girls) can be strong individuals without experiencing trauma related to sexual assault. Itā€™s sort of a cruel twist on the trope that a girlā€™s life/personality changes completely when she meets a guy. As I said, women can be strong without having to have their autonomy violated. Thatā€™s why I added the emphasis on ā€œbecauseā€, I really only have an issue with it when that event/experience is the catalyst of the characterā€™s entire personality.

2 Likes

Okay, I interpreted it not as ā€œwomen can be strong without having to have their autonomy violatedā€ but as ā€œa woman does not become strong because she had her autonomy violatedā€. I completely agree that there are many other reasons a woman could be strong.

Completely unrelated, another cliche I hate is when, so often in books from a femaleā€™s point of view, they end up making the guy that annoys her the most be the guy that she ends up withā€¦ why canā€™t an annoying guy simply just be a jerk? I know that people have complex backstory to why they are the way they are, but a character finding that out doesnā€™t mean she has to suddenly be attracted to the guy!

4 Likes

Pointless romances.

If the love interest is a well-rounded character, serves a purpose in the plot and has a genuine, believable relationship with the mc then Iā€™m all for it. But too many times a love interest has been included for absolutely no reason and ruins the rest of a plot.

5 Likes

Incompatible people becoming endgame. Iā€™m sorry, but [name_f]Katniss[/name_f] and Peeta had nothing in common. [name_f]Katniss[/name_f] hated him in the first book, and was in love with [name_u]Gale[/name_u] until pretty much the end of the third one.

4 Likes

When a woman says sheā€™ll never get married (because she doesnā€™t want to get married, not out of stubbornness) and ends up getting married. This happens way too often. Why canā€™t she just stay single like she wanted to?

5 Likes

lol I thought that was a [name_m]German[/name_m] problemā€¦ American romcoms are like ā€œShe prefers the fast , independent life in the city but learns to love the simple farmer with the dog insteadā€ and [name_m]German[/name_m] romcoms are like ā€œHe annoys the frick out of her but then he helps her saving The Place so now she loves himā€, with The Place being a farm or a daycare or a bookshop her family has owned for generations.

8 Likes

nooooo this is American movies as well :grin:

6 Likes

The evil stepmother. Sheā€™s not just in fairy tales. Sheā€™s everywhere.
Thereā€™s always a dead mother who was important to the protagonist, the fatherā€™s new wife who is super mean and hates the protagonist, and the father either a) doesnā€™t see the problem b) doesnā€™t care about the problem or c) is too weak to stand up to her.
The classic evil stepmother is so overused that for many people the word ā€œstepmotherā€ makes them think ā€œevil.ā€ I know many stepmothers who are kind and loving, and this classic, annoying trope portrays all stepmothers as mean. Iā€™d like a nice stepmother for once.

6 Likes