What’d you call your kids before they were born?

What’d you call your kids while they were in the womb before you found out the gender/had a name in mind? My boyfriend and I have been calling our baby girl [name_m]Bean[/name_m] until she has a name.

Our daughter was “nugget” or “peanut” and actually we still call her those sometimes. This time around I’ve been using “baby” and “little dove.” Not sure where I came up with that one, but I just felt so happy and peaceful about getting pregnant so it stuck.

Bubs… then their name…

My husband always called our son, when in utero, nugget or little nugget because on a early scan he thought the baby looked like a chicken nugget. I always called my son and now our twins either nugget or bebe, the [name_m]French[/name_m] word for baby. My husband has recently started calling the twin figgy and pistache because I have been craving and eating boat loads of figs and pistachios.

My sister called my little one “[name_f]Peach[/name_f]” while I was pregnant.

my niece was “jelly bean” and my friends nephew was “gummy bear”.

Two of my friends and I were pregnant at the same time and didn’t want to share our name choices, so we all came up with names that were absolutely silly with our last names (like rhyming, or a silly phrase), in other words, we named each other’s babies the names the names they would least likely use… My baby ended up being called [name_u]Robin[/name_u] because it was the worst name they could come up with for my last name–[name_u]Robin[/name_u] [name_m]Graves[/name_m].

Friends of ours used “sesame”.
My [name_m]SIL[/name_m] and another girlfriend used “poppy”.
Other family has used “peanut” and “nugget”.

I wonder what we’ll do…

I call my baby piccolina or pickle, but mostly piccolina. My family is Italian and it’s the feminine form of the word [name_m]Little[/name_m].

With [name_m]Liam[/name_m], we were team green, so I think we basically just called him “the baby”. I don’t remember any cutesy nicknames offhand, although I’m sure there probably were some.

With [name_f]Cate[/name_f], we found out she was a girl and had already picked a name (our girl choice from last time), so we called her [name_f]Cate[/name_f] the Great!

With [name_f]Vera[/name_f], we were team green again (although not by choice) but had decided on [name_f]Veronica[/name_f] for a girl and [name_m]Alexander[/name_m] for a boy. Smooshing the ending of the names together, I came up with Nicander (which is actually a legitimate name), so that became her “in utero” nickname.

And with [name_m]Axel[/name_m], we knew he was going to be a boy, so we called just called him [name_m]Axel[/name_m].

Ha ha! We’re clearly terrible people. All three, including the current, have been “it” or “the baby”

We were team green with our first, so we called him [name_f]Plum[/name_f] (funny story behind it) and Munchkin. With this baby, so far I’m calling it [name_f]Posey[/name_f]. :slight_smile:

With my daughter, I called her Bug. Like a little ladybug! I have no clue where it’s come from but it’s definitely stuck, and she still answers to Bug or Bugs. When she was a toddler, she went by [name_f]Bree[/name_f] Bugs.

I love it, I even have a little ladybug tattoo with 5 dots (she was born on the 5th). I got some strange looks when I referred to the baby as Bug though… some people obviously weren’t thinking about cute little ladybugs.

I’m far worse… I used to wind my mother up because she hated the baby being called “it” (and I’m a horrible daughter) so I used “it” all the time. “It” also stuck and when she was a toddler, she started using it to describe herself :’)
“What’s the matter, [name_f]Brianna[/name_f]?”
“It’s hungry!”

At 5 years old though, when she found out her auntie was pregnant, she exclaimed “Mummy! I can be COUSIN IT now!” (Big Addams family fans)
Still makes me laugh!

(Disclaimer: I love her very much, she just goes by a series of truly embarrassing nicknames and It is one of them. If she didn’t like it, I’d stop)

1 Like

My DH and I called our little girl Peanut before we knew what we were having and had a name picked out. My mom called her Lima [name_m]Bean[/name_m]/[name_m]Bean[/name_m] for a while. Now she calls her Beanie Bug. My DH and I just call her by her name now.

I always call my toddler “this thing” or “that” (like “here, take this thing” or “give me that”) and my [name_f]MIL[/name_f] comments on it every time! I always called her baby when I was pregnant, and it actually took me a few weeks after she was born to start using her name! I still call her baby pretty frequently, it’s going to be super weird when we have another or when she’s too old to be baby…

Sea Monkey. Get it?

DH and I have always referred to our babies as “[name_m]Bean[/name_m],” although I sadly didn’t carry the first two to term. When we found out we were having twins, [name_u]Baby[/name_u] A was [name_m]Bean[/name_m] and [name_u]Baby[/name_u] B was [name_m]Bear[/name_m] (not sure why, DH came up with that). We still call them Laska-[name_m]Bean[/name_m] and [name_u]Jamie[/name_u]-[name_m]Bear[/name_m].

My goddaughter is baby love.

The baby I’m trying to conceive has always been baby peregrine.

My nieces and nephews were Jelly [name_m]Bean[/name_m], Nugget, [name_f]Barbara[/name_f], Thing One and Thing Two, Bubbles and [name_m]Jimbo[/name_m]