What do[or will] your kids call their grandparents?

Grandparent names are already well-established in S/O’s family as we have 7 nieces and nephews on that side - his parents will be [name_u]Nana[/name_u] and Papa. [name_f]My[/name_f] parents jokingly established names when we got our cat, but I don’t know if this is what they plan on sticking with :sweat_smile: They go by Grams and Gramps though!

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] parents will be Granny and Grandad, and my fiancé’s mother (when we see her, which will be rarely due to distance) will most likely be [name_f]Mimi[/name_f], a grandparent nickname my fiancé called his maternal grandmother, who he was very close to (it came from a mispronunciation of the [name_u]French[/name_u] mémère, and that side of his family is [name_u]French[/name_u] Canadian)

[name_f]My[/name_f] fiancé’s parents divorced when he was a teenager, his mother never remarried, and he intentionally has no contact with his father, so there doesn’t need to be a name for a grandfather on that side.

[name_f]My[/name_f] mom said she wanted to be called Grammy if I ever had kids. Maybe Papa, Gramps, & [name_f]Gigi[/name_f] for the others, but it would most likely be up to them.

If my grandma lives to that point, she will probably be called [name_u]Nana[/name_u]. (My other grandparents have passed.)

my mom wants to be [name_u]Nana[/name_u], but she’s not going to have contact with my future kids so it really doesn’t matter, same with my dad he wants to be Papa but it doesn’t matter since they’ll never see their grandkids

1 Like

Whatever happened, I’m sorry. :confused:

its fine,

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] blood children are unborn, but my (step)grandkids call my husband Grampa [name_m]Mike[/name_m] or Papa [name_m]Mike[/name_m] and they call me Grammie [name_f]Lulu[/name_f] or Grammie. [name_f]My[/name_f] step-daughter and son-in-law asked us to choose what we wanted to be called. Of course b/c of remarriages, our grandkids have four grandmothers, four grandfathers, and up until recently, great grandparents. We just all got to choose our names.

1 Like

If I have my way, my mum will be called Grammy by my children. I would love to have a Papa for my kids, but my father will not be in their lives.

Since hubby’s and my parents are [name_m]German[/name_m] they get referred to as [name_f]Oma[/name_f] and Opa with first names sometimes accompanying after.

We’re pretty boring. [name_f]My[/name_f] DD just uses Grandma and Grandpa for all the grandparents. I also grew up with both sets of grandparents being called Grandma and Grandpa, but we didn’t see my maternal grandparents much at all.

[name_f]My[/name_f] DH’s cousins though would call their grandparents “Grandma/Grandpa Town and Grandma/Grandpa Country” - because my DH’s grandparents have a farm and his cousins’ other grandparents didn’t. :laughing:

My parents are Afi and Amma, SO’s parents are Bubbie and Zayde.
Hjörtur calls his paternal grandparents (ex-husband’s parents) Memmie and Bappie.
My stepfather prefers Opa, but my brother and I always called him by his first name and I taught my children to do the same. He’s lucky he gets to see them at all after the way he treated my brother and me, so it will have to do.

[name_f]My[/name_f] kids call my husband’s parents Grandma and Grandpa, and they call my mum [name_f]Nanny[/name_f]. They’re not going to meet my dad so they don’t call him anything.

[name_f]My[/name_f] mom wants to be Gator and [name_u]Po[/name_u]. Apparently, it came to her in a dream and she liked it. Gator fits her so I think that one will stick! [name_f]My[/name_f] dad isn’t a huge fan of [name_u]Po[/name_u] though. I love that Sybbie calls her grandpa “Donk” in Downton [name_u]Abbey[/name_u] so I’ll probably try to convince them to be Gator and Donk :joy: It fits him way better, it goes with an animal theme, and it’s funny! I do like [name_u]Po[/name_u] though, so I might have my husband’s father be [name_u]Po[/name_u] and have his mom be Noni or [name_f]Gigi[/name_f] or something cutesy like that. I kinda hope my kids or my nieces and nephews give them a name spontaneously though, I think those are always the best nicknames. But Gator and Donk are too funny to leave up to chance!

I always called my paternal grandparents Grandma and Grandpa [Surname], my maternal grandpa was also Grandpa [Surname]. [name_f]My[/name_f] maternal grandma was Grandma [First name], and then my mom’s two stepmothers were always Miss [First names], even now as an adult. It felt so informal to me and I was jealous of all the kids who had a nana and papa.

[name_f]My[/name_f] old Spanish teacher just became a grandmother last year and I believe she decided on G-unit for her grandparent name, which I find hysterical as well! Maybe a bit too hard for a toddler to pronounce though.

my dad wants my parents to be gramps and granny, while my mom wants them to be gigi and papa. i like both, but gramps and granny makes my parents feel so old :pleading_face: that’s still my mommy and daddy