What do these bring to mind for you?

We are expecting baby girl #4 in a few months, and have boxed ourselves into a “trap” with our other girls’ names. We are also open to suggestions if you have any!

Our girls are:

[name]Gemma[/name] [name]Rose[/name]
[name]Zara[/name] [name]Mae[/name]
[name]Isla[/name] [name]Jane[/name]

We hadn’t ever thought we’d be blessed with a fourth child, let alone a fourth daughter, so we had orignially thought we’d only have [name]Gemma[/name] and [name]Zara[/name]. When we found out we were having baby [name]Isla[/name], we thought, well, since we have TWO with -a ending names, we’d find a third -a ending name. We [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Isla[/name]'s name, and settled on it the moment we thought of it. Easy as pie.

So, fast forward to now. We just found out we have a fourth girl on the way, and we feel “boxed in” to pick another -a ending name to match the sibset we already have created. I am kicking myself over what to do. And we [name]MAY[/name] not be through having children, and it seems we are good at getting baby girls, lol. So, this baby’s name may also have future implications on any siblings yet to come.

We don’t feel like we HAVE to do an -a ending name for #4, but are also leaning a little bit towards it for the sake of continuity.

We like names that are offbeat. [name]Gemma[/name] was born in '03, when the name [name]Gemma[/name] was still pretty much not commonly used, [name]Zara[/name] was born in '05 and I named her partly after the apparel store in [name]Paris[/name] (before it decided to come to the United States!!!) and partly for [name]Zara[/name] [name]Phillips[/name] the British royal cousin, and [name]Isla[/name], born in '08, was named after I heard it from the actress [name]Isla[/name] [name]Fisher[/name].

We could never imagine ourselves naming a child off the top 100 list, and prefer an avant-garde name that is a REAL name, has a bit of Euro-sensibility to it (to match our other kids), or at least has an offbeat enough sensibility to it that we aren’t going to find another child with our child’s name unless we search very hard. It has to be a real name, as we don’t like made up or currently new names (like [name]Jaden[/name], [name]Caden[/name], etc.) We are fine with common middle names.

Our top picks so far are:

Allifair [name]Grace[/name] ([name]Al[/name]-uh-fair)
[name]Roxana[/name] [name]Grace[/name] (Rocks-awn-uh)
[name]Philippa[/name] [name]Grace[/name] (to be called [name]Pippa[/name])
[name]Tamsin[/name] [name]Grace[/name] ([name]Tam[/name]-zin)
[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Olive[/name] [name]Grace[/name]

I am not nuts about [name]Grace[/name], but it means a lot to DH because it is a family name, so I am willingly giving the concession to [name]Grace[/name]. It is pretty generic and goes with a lot of things.

Can you tell me what you think of each of our names? Would it be weird to have a non-“A” ending name for a fourth child? Would it lend itself towards a fifth daughter having a non"A" ending name? Would it be “off” to name a fifth daughter an “A” ending name if the fourth did NOT have an “A” ending name?

We are open to suggestions that would go with [name]Gemma[/name], [name]Zara[/name], & [name]Isla[/name], as well…

I quite like [name]Hazel[/name] and [name]Olive[/name]. I don’t think it is breaking continuity with the other three “a” ending names. It sounds like it may actually be too much of the same sound for your fourth daughter, so think a two syllable yet also feminine and pretty name rounds off the four names altogether.
Good luck!

I don’t think a non-a-ending name would be weird. It’s not like the first letter which is a lot more obvious. (PS - I like [name]Hazel[/name] the best :slight_smile: ) And I [name]LOVE[/name] your girls’ names!!

In case you want A-ending names here’s some options of my favorites :slight_smile:

[name]Aria[/name]
[name]Camilla[/name]
[name]Mila[/name] (MEE-la)
[name]Viola[/name]
[name]Adria[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name]
[name]Eliza[/name]
[name]Allegra[/name]
[name]Melina[/name]
[name]Maeva[/name]
[name]Karina[/name]/[name]Carina[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Rosalia[/name]
[name]Lilla[/name]
[name]Lilia[/name]
[name]Eloisa[/name]

I love [name]Roxana[/name], [name]Philippa[/name] and [name]Tamsin[/name]! I think [name]Philippa[/name] is my favorite.

I also thought [name]Ariana[/name] (or even [name]Eliana[/name]?) might go well with your other names, although [name]Eliana[/name] could be a tongue-twister with [name]Isla[/name]!

I love [name]Philippa[/name] nn [name]Pippa[/name] with your girls. If you decide to stick with ending in a, how about:
[name]Freya[/name]
[name]Calla[/name]
[name]Audra[/name]
[name]Linnea[/name]
[name]Rhea[/name]
[name]Lyra[/name]
[name]Adela[/name]
[name]Britta[/name]
[name]Willa[/name]
[name]Mila[/name] (mee-lah)
[name]Terra[/name]
[name]Dalia[/name]

I agree with previous posters that you don’t have to continue the -a trend with #4. However, I do think it would be odd to use -a again for #5 if you didn’t for #4. If it were me and I thought this would be my last, I would stick with -a; if I thought we’d have more, I might move away from it now.

I’m sorry that I don’t have time to reply in more detail, but I just thought I’d say that [name]Grace[/name] seems to match your other daughters’ middle names perfectly, and that my first thought when I saw your other children’s names was [name]Sorcha[/name] (sor-sha), a lovely Irish name, or perhaps [name]Lucia[/name] or [name]Lilia[/name].

I’m sorry that I don’t have time to reply in more detail, but I just thought I’d say that [name]Grace[/name] seems to match your other daughters’ middle names perfectly, and that my first thought when I saw your other children’s names was [name]Sorcha[/name] (sor-sha), a lovely Irish name, or perhaps [name]Lucia[/name] or [name]Lilia[/name].

Our girls are:

• Your daughters have beautiful names!

We don’t feel like we HAVE to do an -a ending name for #4, but are also leaning a little bit towards it for the sake of continuity.

• I don’t think you have to have an -a ending.

Our top picks so far are:

Allifair [name]Grace[/name] ([name]Al[/name]-uh-fair) - not my style
[name]Roxana[/name] [name]Grace[/name] (Rocks-awn-uh) - neutral
[name]Philippa[/name] [name]Grace[/name] (to be called [name]Pippa[/name]) - love
[name]Tamsin[/name] [name]Grace[/name] ([name]Tam[/name]-zin) - love
[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Grace[/name] - love
[name]Olive[/name] [name]Grace[/name] - love both names, but this feels kind of abrupt for some reason. I prefer [name]Olivia[/name] [name]Grace[/name] nn [name]Olive[/name], but [name]Olivia[/name] is so popular.

I am not nuts about [name]Grace[/name], but it means a lot to DH because it is a family name, so I am willingly giving the concession to [name]Grace[/name]. It is pretty generic and goes with a lot of things.

• [name]Grace[/name] is pretty. It is very popular as a middle name, but I love it.

More ideas:

[name]Arden[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Audra[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Camden[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Matilda[/name] nn [name]Tilda[/name] [name]Grace[/name] - love
[name]Opal[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Talia[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Violet[/name] [name]Grace[/name]

Allifair [name]Grace[/name] ([name]Al[/name]-uh-fair) - I’m rather fond of Allifair, discovering it recently. Not to mention it brings to mind “[name]Alistair[/name]”, which I so adore. [name]Grace[/name], to be honest, is alright, though you’re correct: it goes with MANY things.
[name]Roxana[/name] [name]Grace[/name] (Rocks-awn-uh) - [name]Roxana[/name] [name]Grace[/name] is alright. (:
[name]Philippa[/name] [name]Grace[/name] (to be called [name]Pippa[/name]) - [name]Love[/name] this one! [name]Philippa[/name] is so lovely, and [name]Pippa[/name]'s darling. (:
[name]Tamsin[/name] [name]Grace[/name] ([name]Tam[/name]-zin) - Nice. (:
[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Grace[/name] - [name]Hazel[/name]'s beautiful.

[name]Don[/name]'t feel pressured to use a -a ending name! :smiley: She’ll fit in perfectly fine even if she doesn’t have one. Here’s some suggestions:

[name]Claudia[/name] [name]Grace[/name] (I adore [name]Claudia[/name].)
[name]Miriam[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
Jasperine [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Wilhelmina[/name]/ [name]Wilhelmine[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Avril[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Arthurine[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Lucille[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Lucia[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
Lupin [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Isadora[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Aurora[/name]/ [name]Aurore[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Catherine[/name]/ [name]Katherine[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Dava[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Amaya[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]/ [name]Juliette[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Blanche[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Fleur[/name] [name]Grace[/name] (Means “flower” in French.)
[name]Marguerite[/name] [name]Grace[/name] (Meaning “daisy”.)
[name]Madeleine[/name] [name]Grace[/name] ([name]Said[/name] Mad-a-lin, I believe. Much lovelier than [name]Madeline[/name] for me.)
[name]Persephone[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Artemis[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Rosalie[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Hero[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Morganna[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Ophelie[/name]/ [name]Ophelia[/name] [name]Grace[/name] (I love both. [name]Ophelie[/name] is pronounced Oh-fay-lee.)
[name]Lunette[/name] [name]Grace[/name] (Meaning “little moon”.)
[name]Anne[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Theodora[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Dorothee[/name] [name]Grace[/name]
[name]Fiammetta[/name] [name]Grace[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] I could help. (:
[name]Olive[/name] [name]Grace[/name]

I was reading a post above, and it suggests the Irish name “[name]Sorcha[/name]”, this is actually pronounced “Sur- ka”, not a soft “Sor- sha”.
However there is a very similar name “[name]Saoirse[/name]” pronounced " Seer- sha", which means “[name]Freedom[/name]”

[name]LOVE[/name] your girls names!

before i saw your list, i immediately thought pippa or willa would fit in beautifully with your girls. good luck!

I think your girls have great names! And I absolutely think you have to continue with another -a ending name :slight_smile: [name]Grace[/name] is a beautiful name and suits the other girls’ MN.

Here’s a little inspiration from my own favourite list. I am danish/swedish, so some names might not work for you at all :slight_smile:

[name]Ella[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]
[name]Vera[/name]
[name]Anna[/name]
[name]Wilma[/name]
[name]Selma[/name]
[name]Asta[/name]

Good luck!

Such pretty names! I don’t think it would be weird to stray from the -a theme, and I think you should use a name you love.

Allifair [name]Grace[/name] ([name]Al[/name]-uh-fair): I remember you post about Allifair…I think it’s pretty, but the al-uh sound is too close to [name]Isla[/name] to me. (I know I’d get tongue tied, but that’s just me.) :slight_smile:

[name]Roxana[/name] [name]Grace[/name] (Rocks-awn-uh): I can see [name]Roxana[/name] with with girls’ names, although [name]Grace[/name] is very popular…

[name]Philippa[/name] [name]Grace[/name] (to be called [name]Pippa[/name]): I love this name, but with a sister named [name]Zara[/name], I think of [name]Zara[/name] [name]Phillips[/name].

[name]Tamsin[/name] [name]Grace[/name] ([name]Tam[/name]-zin): I love [name]Tamsin[/name] so much (I first heard it The Return of the Native), and think it’s great with your daughters’ names. Because [name]Grace[/name] is so popular, it doesn’t feel special enough to me with [name]Tamsin[/name], though. I guess I picture something like [name]Tamsin[/name] [name]Pearl[/name] or [name]Tamsin[/name] [name]Blythe[/name].

[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Grace[/name]: I love [name]Hazel[/name] so much, but not with [name]Grace[/name]. Now that I think about it, I think a less clunky name would work better with your daughters’ names.

[name]Olive[/name] [name]Grace[/name]: I love it, but with the exotic and feminine [name]Zara[/name], [name]Gemma[/name], and [name]Isla[/name], I think that a less clunky name would be a better fit.

From your list, [name]Tamsin[/name] and [name]Roxana[/name] are my favorites with [name]Zara[/name], [name]Gemma[/name], and [name]Isla[/name]. I do love [name]Philippa[/name], but the [name]Zara[/name] [name]Phillips[/name] connection is just too much of a theme to me.

More names I can picture with [name]Zara[/name], [name]Gemma[/name], and [name]Isla[/name] (sorry for repeats!):

[name]Amandine[/name]
[name]Aurelia[/name] (kind of close to [name]Isla[/name]'s ending, though)
[name]Arabelle[/name]
[name]Aurora[/name]
[name]Anastasia[/name]
[name]Carys[/name]
[name]Calista[/name]
[name]Celestia[/name]
[name]Ciel[/name] (see-[name]EL[/name])
[name]Camille[/name]
[name]Dahlia[/name] (ending is close to [name]Isla[/name]'s, though)
[name]Delphine[/name]
[name]Evelina[/name]
[name]Esme[/name]
[name]Estelle[/name]/[name]Estella[/name]
[name]Francesca[/name]
[name]Juliet[/name]
[name]Juliana[/name]
[name]Mirabelle[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Marielle[/name]
[name]Mariana[/name]
[name]Natalia[/name]
[name]Rosalba[/name]
[name]Raphaelle[/name]/[name]Raphaela[/name]
[name]Seraphine[/name]/[name]Seraphina[/name]
[name]Viviana[/name]

Best wishes to you! :slight_smile:

Allifair: It might just be me, but I read this in a hurry as “alfalfa”

• and now I can’t drop that association. :frowning:
      [name]Roxana[/name]: I really like this name! It should be more popular than it is.
      [name]Philippa[/name]: [name]Love[/name], especially with the cute nickname [name]Pippa[/name].
      [name]Tamsin[/name]: Great!
      [name]Hazel[/name]: I like it, but not with [name]Grace[/name]. Also, a warning: I’m sure it will be very trendy soon–it’s been zooming up the charts for a while now.
      [name]Olive[/name]: I don’t like [name]Olive[/name]…what about [name]Olivia[/name]?

I don’t think a non-a-ending name would be too weird, but I would definitely advise against anything unisex, like [name]Evan[/name] or [name]Collins[/name].
Some suggestions:
[name]Calla[/name]
[name]Stella[/name]
[name]Lia[/name]
[name]Fiona[/name]
[name]Mercy[/name]
[name]Cleo[/name]/[name]Clio[/name]/[name]Clea[/name]

That’s all I can think of now, but I hope it helped! Good luck!

I love [name]Hazel[/name] and [name]Roxana[/name]. Some more suggestions:

[name]Georgia[/name]
[name]Leah[/name]
[name]Mischa[/name]
[name]Claudia[/name]
[name]Lydia[/name]
[name]Sophie[/name]
[name]Erica[/name]
[name]Nora[/name]/[name]Norah[/name]
[name]Mara[/name]
[name]Simona[/name]/[name]Simone[/name]
[name]Bonnie[/name]
[name]Amber[/name]/Amba
[name]Kit[/name]
[name]Maeve[/name]
[name]Esme[/name]
[name]Alice[/name]

Allifair [name]Grace[/name]- Now i think this is just me, everytime i see the name Allifiar i read Affair, or A affrair for some reason. I cant figure out why but to me it immediatlly turns me away from the name. sorry:(

[name]Roxana[/name] [name]Grace[/name]- I like this name in theory. [name]Roxana[/name] sounds pretty but something seems off with it that i cant quite figure out.

[name]Phillipa[/name] [name]Grace[/name]- This sounds pretty, but its not my type of name.

[name]Tamsin[/name] [name]Grace[/name]- My favorite so far. However when i first read it i read Tazmin. But after i corrected myself i really liked this name and i think [name]Tamsin[/name] [name]Grace[/name] sounds beautiful:)

[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Grace[/name]- Another that sounds very pretty but itsnt my style.

[name]Olive[/name] [name]Grace[/name]- This is very ptetty however, you said you named your daughter after hearing the name of actyress [name]Isla[/name] [name]Fisher[/name], well her daughter is named [name]Olive[/name], if thats ok with you this is my favorite name!

[name]Tamsin[/name] and [name]Olive[/name] are my favorite. I dont think you necassarily have to stick to the -a thing, but i do think if you could stick to it, you should. Cause if your children grow up and realize it this child may feel a little left out, or the other way around very unique.

[name]Hope[/name] this helps!

Oh and i [name]LOVE[/name] all of your childrens names! :slight_smile:
Goodluck with baby #4!

When I was reading your list, it just felt very British to me. (I love the British name lists on this site, so I consider this a good thing.) I immediately thought of [name]Tamsin[/name], even though it doesn’t end with an -a like your other girls. [name]Philippa[/name] would also be lovely, but don’t feel like her name has to end in -a if there is something that you like more.

You’ve got some interesting names there, but I don’t know if any really fit perfectly with [name]Gemma[/name], [name]Zara[/name], and [name]Isla[/name]. Not only do these all end in -a, they are all two-syllable names. I personally would continue the “trend” or “theme,” as it creates a unique sense of communion among the names. There are plenty of beautiful names that are two-syllable and ending in -a, so I wouldn’t worry. If you stick to this pattern, with a one-syllable middle name (like [name]Grace[/name]), I think you’ll be perfect. I understand that you feel “boxed in,” but I know you’ll find the perfect name for as many more children as you have!

My suggestions:

[name]Blanca[/name]
[name]Britta[/name]*
[name]Carla[/name]
[name]Dara[/name]
[name]Dasha[/name]
[name]Deidra[/name]
[name]Dora[/name]*
[name]Ezra[/name]
[name]Flora[/name]
[name]Freya[/name]*
[name]Jada[/name]
[name]Kara[/name]
[name]Kira[/name]
[name]Mara[/name]
[name]Meena[/name]
[name]Palma[/name]
[name]Pascha[/name]
[name]Perla[/name]
[name]Pippa[/name]
[name]Priya[/name]*
[name]Rhea[/name]*
[name]Risa[/name]*
[name]Selma[/name]
[name]Tera[/name]
[name]Tia[/name]
[name]Vanna[/name]
[name]Vida[/name]*
[name]Willa[/name]*

Best wishes!

I love your girls names and think they go together really well. I think they all have a British sensibility. Before I even looked at your list [name]Tamsin[/name] and [name]Maeve[/name] came to mind. I dont think you need to continue with the A ending. PS i think [name]Grace[/name] is a perfectly nice middle name and if your hubby loves it then its a done deal.

Allifair [name]Grace[/name] ([name]Al[/name]-uh-fair) really love this one but dont like ali as a nn
[name]Roxana[/name] [name]Grace[/name] (Rocks-awn-uh) The only one i dont like
[name]Philippa[/name] [name]Grace[/name] (to be called [name]Pippa[/name]) sooo cute
[name]Tamsin[/name] [name]Grace[/name] ([name]Tam[/name]-zin) love
[name]Hazel[/name] [name]Grace[/name]- like but very popular
[name]Olive[/name] [name]Grace[/name]- love but doesn’t go as well as your other names.