What do you consider the rules of sib-set names?

Our kids are—
Amaré [name_f]Elyse[/name_f] ([name_f]Amma[/name_f]-RAE)
[name_m]Job[/name_m] [name_m]Marcellus[/name_m] ([name_u]Joby[/name_u])
Sélah [name_f]Carys[/name_f] (Sae)
[name_m]Boaz[/name_m] [name_m]Apollos[/name_m] ([name_u]Bo[/name_u])

With the new baby (we don’t know yet if girl or boy), we are considering [name_f]Hadassah[/name_f] [name_u]Love[/name_u] for a girl (NN [name_f]Haddie[/name_f]), or [name_u]Shiloh[/name_u] [name_m]Moses[/name_m] for a boy (NN Shi).

Clearly, the top choices are for the meaning & sound of the names we like the most (and we love fun nicknames), but I do try to match meanings or general sounds. What do you consider a “good match” for sibling set considerations?

1 Like

I guess mostly I just want names that are a similar style and preferably don’t begin with the same letter. [name_f]My[/name_f] twins are [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] and [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] and at first I was concerned about them both ending in the same sound but in the end we went with the names we loved.
I liked that both names happened to be six letters but if we have another one I won’t feel pressured to choose a six letter name again unless I really like it.
So yeah, I guess just style mostly. I feel like my kids’ names have a vintage feel to them so I probably wouldn’t pick something like Bohdi or [name_u]Quinn[/name_u] as a sibling because they feel more modern to me.
Your kids have beautiful names btw :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks!

Yes, that is along the lines of what I think too. Really love [name_f]Hadassah[/name_f] and will probably go with that, but don’t think it quite matches my other girls in light, feminine sounds (although nickname [name_f]Haddie[/name_f] gets me there).

[name_m]How[/name_m] fun that you have twins and they are similar but not super matchy in names. :+1::grin:

1 Like

I think [name_f]Hadassah[/name_f] [name_u]Love[/name_u] matches very well with her siblings. [name_f]Hadassah[/name_f] may not be as light but the “ss” sound makes it feel very feminine to me and [name_f]Haddie[/name_f] is a really sweet nickname. [name_f]Hadassah[/name_f] still feels soft to me really, even if it’s longer. And it ties in perfectly with the Biblical theme you have. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thanks! That is actually a great encouragement.

1 Like

Exactly this. I like that my girls’ names are similar in style. They do have a slight floral theme ([name_f]Violet[/name_f] and [name_f]Florence[/name_f]) but that wasn’t intentional and isn’t something we’d look to continue especially as I don’t think it’s overly obvious. They have two middle names each which will continue, one of them having an Irish origin/connection ([name_f]Cara[/name_f] and Bríd)

I absolutely love [name_m]Arthur[/name_m] and [name_m]Jasper[/name_m] by the way, @whatchamacallit! Great names both together and separately

@rebekah83, I think your options go wonderfully with your sibset!

2 Likes

Thanks @greensparkles! Your girls have lovely names too! :slight_smile:

1 Like

[name_f]My[/name_f] rules for future kids names is that they are all classic and/or royal in nature. I’ve always loved classic and regal names, and have never been a fan of modern names. I also prefer all the names to start with a different letter. We already have two M’s with my husband and his cat [name_f]Melody[/name_f] sharing “M”, so will likely avoid using anymore M names. [name_f]My[/name_f] mom and sister also share a “M” first initial so I feel we have plenty of M’s now. I don’t mind as much about the names sharing the same ending or sound. Almost all of my favorite girls names end in a or e, and the boys names end in y, n, r, or h. I have a strong preference for 2 or 3 syllable names as well. One syllable names just seem to simple, and four syllables are too much of a mouthful. [name_f]My[/name_f] husband and I both have two syllable names.
I think [name_f]Hadassah[/name_f] will match nicely with your other children’s names and your name theme. :slight_smile:

1 Like

You have thought it out well, and it makes a lot of sense! I like your methods!

Ultimately we end up falling in love with the meaning or the legacy in a name more than anything. Thanks for the reassurance on my potential name, because I’ve been feeling [name_f]Hadassah[/name_f] is regal but perhaps too hard-edged to match my girls. [name_f]My[/name_f] boys names are sort of like that, but my girls names lighter, softer.

I’m not a big fan of rhyming sib names or alliteration in general for sibs, but sometimes it all works. [name_f]My[/name_f] boys ended up being [name_m]Job[/name_m] & [name_m]Boaz[/name_m] and that long o repeated so :woman_shrugging:. One name I love is [name_m]Moses[/name_m] but I hesitate to use it only because [name_u]Bo[/name_u] & [name_u]Moe[/name_u] just sound like the name of a southern rib restaurant or smthg like that. :smirk::laughing:

Thanks for sharing your thoughts!