What do you hear?

See the results of this poll: What do you hear? Alec Wood…

Respondents: 20 (This poll is closed)

• I just hear Alec Wood: 9 (45%)
  • I hear "I lick wood": 11 (55%)

I didn’t vote because I didn’t hear it initially, but once you pointed it out I can’t ignore it. I think it may be too tease-worthy. Sorry. :frowning:

OK, yep. I just asked my husband if he would make fun of someone named [name]Alec[/name] [name]Wood[/name] and he was like,“Duh! I lick wood?” Again, my consolations. I hope you haven’t actually named the child yet?

Sorry I totally hear “I lick wood” and my DH said the same.

I have a c-section scheduled for Sept.8th so, no, he’s not here yet. We had decided on [name]Alec[/name], however. It just popped in my head that someone on Nameberry mentioned the “i lick wood” issue a while ago. I hadn’t thought of it in months. Now I can’t get it out of my head. I don’t want him to be made fun of (obviously) but " i lick wood" could set him up for some homosexual “jokes” as well, huh?
We’ve been calling him [name]Alec[/name]. Our other kids and everyone we know expect him to be [name]Alec[/name]. I don’t know what to do now. CRAP!

Give me some other suggestions, please!

Other kids are: [name]Juliette[/name] [name]Maura[/name]
[name]Bella[/name] [name]Ryan[/name]
[name]Mia[/name] [name]Sloane[/name]
&
[name]Leo[/name] [name]Magnus[/name]
His middle name HAS to be [name]Ronan[/name] in honor of my dear Uncle who just passed away.

Please help…I am really anxious about this so close to the delivery. Yikes!

Thank you!
[name]Tara[/name]

If it’s really bothering you have you thought of naming him [name]Alexander[/name] and using [name]Alec[/name] as the nn?

I did think about [name]Alexander[/name] but he would still be called [name]Alec[/name] and we’d still be in the same boat.
Thanks for trying to help.

[name]Tara[/name]

Maybe he could go by his first and middle name? [name]Alec[/name] [name]Ronan[/name] may or may not be to much of a mouthful, but you could give him two middle names (the first one haveing only one syllable) like “[name]Alec[/name] [name]James[/name] [name]Ronan[/name] [name]Wood[/name]” and call him [name]Alec[/name] [name]James[/name]? I don’t know…
[name]Isaac[/name] sounds kind of similar to [name]Alec[/name]. “[name]Isaac[/name] [name]Ronan[/name] [name]Wood[/name]” is very nice. I will try to think up more similar suggestions. Best of luck!

Okay, more ideas.

[name]Eric[/name]
[name]Audric[/name]
[name]Auric[/name]
[name]Alric[/name]
[name]Aldrich[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] this helps!

Okay, more ideas.

[name]Eric[/name]
[name]Audric[/name]
[name]Auric[/name]
[name]Alric[/name]
[name]Aldrich[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] this helps!

I don’t think its a problem. I never heard ‘i lick wood’ until you pointed it out, and I doubt I ever would have heard that. [name]Alec[/name] is a great name and not very common, so how many times will he be called [name]Alec[/name] [name]Wood[/name] instead of [name]Alec[/name]’? Probably not very many. I wouldn’t worry about it at all, especially since you’ve already been referring to him as [name]Alec[/name]. I definately don’t think it will be a problem. But whatever you choose to do, I’m sure your son will have a great name! :slight_smile:

I hear [name]Alec[/name] [name]Wood[/name]. I even asked my husband who usually notices teasing potential and he didn’t hear anything funny about the name. Maybe its a regional accent difference, but I don’t think its a problem. Sorry you’re having last minute doubts and good luck!

Well, changing it to [name]Alex[/name] would be the most simple modification. I suppose you have thought of that and don’t like it?
[name]Baby[/name] Name [name]Wizard[/name] lists brother names to [name]Alec[/name] as
[name]Brendan[/name]
[name]Colin[/name]
[name]Graham[/name]
[name]Reid[/name]
[name]Trevor[/name]
I don’t think it will be that big of a deal to everyone if you change the name before the birth. [name]Plenty[/name] of people on NB seem to do it AFTER the birth! I think your DS will probably thank you for it. =)

I just had to reply again. I noticed people suggesting [name]Alexander[/name] and [name]Alex[/name]. While I don’t hear the problem with [name]Alec[/name] [name]Wood[/name], I do hear it with [name]Alex[/name] [name]Wood[/name] which to me sounds much more like “[name]Al[/name] Licks [name]Wood[/name]”. I would either stick with [name]Alec[/name] or go with a completely different name.

I do not hear it. I also dont hear it with [name]Alex[/name].

I say [name]Alec[/name] [name]Ah[/name]-Lek not Ay-lik and [name]Alex[/name] is [name]Ah[/name]-lex not [name]Ah[/name]-lix (Altough i also like [name]Alix[/name] (but then prn [name]Alix[/name] not [name]Alex[/name]))

So i guess its an accent issue?

[name]Ah[/name]! Good call.

I think it probably is an accent issue. I have a Southern accent so the ‘A’ in [name]Alec[/name] sounds not too different from ‘I’ when said quickly. And the ‘lec’ is indistiguishable from ‘lick.’ So it’s pretty obvious.

Well, obviously [name]Alec[/name] [name]Wood[/name] has some teasing potential. However, I think that every kid is going to get made fun of at some point, and after a while, the “i lick wood” joke is going to get old. Your son may suffer for a little, or maaybe not at all depending on his personality. What I’m trying to say is that, sure there’s definitely teasing potential, but he won’t be a kid his whole life… the teasing will stop. I think I would still use [name]Alec[/name] if I were you. If you don’t want to, maybe you’ll like one of these?
[name]Owen[/name]
[name]Mitchell[/name]
[name]Griffith[/name]
[name]Garrett[/name]
[name]Jack[/name]
[name]Collin[/name]
[name]Mack[/name]
[name]Julian[/name]
[name]Eli[/name]
[name]Felix[/name]
[name]Anthony[/name]
[name]Pierce[/name]
[name]Atticus[/name]
[name]Alistair[/name]

I don’t think [name]Alec[/name] [name]Wood[/name] is really that bad. It’s not like [name]Ben[/name] [name]Dover[/name] or anything like that. But if it’s going to bother you, than I would go with something different. I know plenty of people that have changed their minds last minute, even after announcing the name, and it’s been fine. Could you use [name]Ronan[/name] as the first name? [name]Ronan[/name] [name]Alec[/name] [name]Wood[/name] would be a lovely way to honor your uncle. Okay, other names like [name]Alec[/name]:

[name]Alistair[/name] [name]Ronan[/name] [name]Wood[/name]
[name]Tavish[/name] [name]Ronan[/name] [name]Wood[/name]
[name]Malachy[/name] [name]Ronan[/name] [name]Wood[/name]
[name]Garrett[/name] [name]Ronan[/name] [name]Wood[/name]
[name]Oliver[/name] [name]Ronan[/name] [name]Wood[/name] (I think [name]Oliver[/name] [name]Wood[/name] might be a HP character though…)
[name]Henry[/name] [name]Ronan[/name] [name]Wood[/name]
[name]Jasper[/name] [name]Ronan[/name] [name]Wood[/name]
[name]Felix[/name] [name]Ronan[/name] [name]Wood[/name]
[name]Adam[/name] [name]Ronan[/name] [name]Wood[/name]
[name]Archer[/name] [name]Ronan[/name] [name]Wood[/name]
[name]Peter[/name] [name]Ronan[/name] [name]Wood[/name]
[name]Silas[/name] [name]Ronan[/name] [name]Wood[/name]

[name]Hope[/name] that helps!

Then id probably would name the kid [name]Alexander[/name] with the nn [name]Alec[/name]. He can always switch to [name]Xander[/name] when being teased.