What do you Love/Hate about Rosmerta?

I LOOOOOVE the name [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f]. If my husband were half as enamored as I have been for years, she would easily be top 3 options for a girl.

But I notice that fewer of you love [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] like I do. I’d like to know why? What don’t you like about the name? And for those of you who do love it, what are your favorite things about her?

Thanks, Berries!

3 Likes

I find the “ert” sound to be unappealing.

8 Likes

The meaning and origin is rather cool but I agree with @kmdharrington’s assessment that I just find the middle sound to be unappealing.

1 Like

I like the ‘[name_f]Ros[/name_f]’ sound but really don’t love ‘ert’ / ‘mert’. I think the origin is cool, and like the nickname options, though.

1 Like

I agree with the past posters; it has a cool meaning and interesting nickname possibilities, but the ert/mert sound is unappealing to me. What about [name_f]Rosalind[/name_f]/Rosalinda?

1 Like

I like it fine, but there are definitely ‘[name_f]Ros[/name_f]’ names I love more.

I love it! Such a spunky and underused [name_f]Rose[/name_f]- name! I do think I prefer [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f], but only slightly.

1 Like

Rosmerta is beautiful! I like the [name_f]Rose[/name_f] names and would love to see this one used.

I have to agree with others who have mentioned the middle syllable–I just don’t love the look or sound of “mert.” I really like [name_f]Rose[/name_f] names in general, though, and this one is definitely more distinctive than some of the others! :blush:

1 Like

I don’t hate it, I like it moderately, but prefer [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f] more.

Hmm…I’ve never really considered [name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] before. I definitely don’t love it myself, but I don’t hate it either. I think for me what I dislike about it is that it feels awkward to pronounce… Does the ‘o’ in [name_f]Ros[/name_f]- sound like the ‘o’ in stop or the ‘o’ in rose? Either way it feels a little awkward to say. But I can totally see the appeal. It has a beautiful, Medieval vibe about it!

Rosemerta is intriguing. It sounds familiar yet it’s also very distinctive and elegant. It’s big and bold and I quite like it

I think it’s OK, I’m neutral. Being a huge potterhead, the connection to [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m] would be too much for me.

Sooo cute I really like that name

I like that you can get the nn rose!

I agree. It sounds quite unappealing.

2 Likes

I agree, sorry I’m not fond of the erta part.

1 Like

I like it, but it makes me think immediately of [name_u]Harry[/name_u] [name_m]Potter[/name_m]. That might just be my obsession with HP ([name_f]Rosmerta[/name_f] is a very, very minor character), so I would say if you love it, use it! I don’t think too many people will make the connection.

It’s something about the “mert” sound that irks me, I much prefer [name_f]Rosamund[/name_f], [name_f]Rosalinda[/name_f] or [name_f]Romilda[/name_f]. I can see the appeal of it though.

I usually love all [name_f]Ros[/name_f]- names but I have to agreed with previous posters that -merta doesn’t sound very appealing. It’s quite harsh and it also reminds me of a strong curse word. :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

2 Likes