What do you think about girls with boy names?

I want to name my daughter [name]Spencer[/name] [name]Jane[/name]. ([name]Jane[/name] is my late grandmother’s name, so that’s a must). I really like boys names for girls. [name]Do[/name] you think [name]Spencer[/name] is a bad name for my daughter? [name]Will[/name] she ever get made fun of? And if you like it, what’s a cute nickname? What are other cute names if you don’t like [name]Spencer[/name]? Opinions, please :slight_smile:

As you asked, I will give an honest opinion. I do think [name]Spencer[/name] is a bad name for a daughter.

I think this because [name]Spencer[/name] is masculine and a traditional male name and I don’t like the sound of it on a girl.

I think you should save [name]Spencer[/name] for a future son and use an actual female name on your daughter.

[name]Jane[/name] is fabulous as either a middle or first name.

Everyone here will hate it, I guarantee you.

But I think it’s cute! I grew up with a girl [name]Spenser[/name] (spelled this way because it was after the poet [name]Edmund[/name] [name]Spenser[/name]). She was on my basketball team for years: both girly and tomboyish at the same time. Everyone that met her thought her name was awesome, and people never made fun of it. Kids tend to be less judgmental about names than adults, unless your name is Poopaloo or something.

I like masculine sounding names for girls, but spencer is too much for me. I like [name]Sawyer[/name] for a girl.
or what about:
[name]Merrick[/name]
[name]Rowan[/name]
[name]Georgiana[/name] ([name]George[/name])
[name]Theodora[/name] ([name]Teddy[/name])

I think whatever name is special to you will be perfect for your daughter. Everyone has their preferences but in the end, you’re her mother and the name should be YOUR preference.

I am usually not a fan of this kind of thing, but I actually do like [name]Spencer[/name] on a girl. I know a little girl who was given the name because it’s her grandfather’s name. At first, when my mom told me, I was definitely surprised, but now I think it’s a very sweet choice.

I love boy names on girls, so I have no problem with it. I love [name]Spencer[/name] for either gender. I’m not a fan of [name]Jane[/name], but it’s alright. Many of my friends have boy name, and they don’t get teased or anything. Actually the girls with grandma names got teased far more than the girls with boy named. I grew up with a girl named [name]Spencer[/name]. Some called her [name]Penny[/name] when she was little, but around [name]Junior[/name] High (I think), people started calling her [name]Cece[/name], but she was mainly [name]Spencer[/name].

In theory I totally love it, in reality, not so much. I went to get a massage and the receptionist told me that the person’s name was [name]Kelsey[/name]. So I assumed it was a girl. Then this old man came out and I was like, Oh, no!! I don’t like it when you expect one gender and get another.

I cannot stand this trend if I’m honest, there isn’t anything remotely feminine about the name [name]Spencer[/name] and the only potential nickname is [name]Spence[/name]; again not girly.

You wouldn’t name a boy [name]Sophia[/name] or [name]Lydia[/name] would you? So why is it ok to name a girl a boy’s name…

Now I dislike the seeing [name]Madison[/name], [name]Addison[/name], [name]Avery[/name] on girls but it is true they were relatively unused boy’s names that became incredibly popular on girls but [name]Spencer[/name] is widely recognised as a boy’s name and a popular one too.

[name]Do[/name] you think [name]Spencer[/name] is a bad name for my daughter? - not as bad as it could be. If she hates it, she always has [name]Jane[/name] to fall back on.
[name]Will[/name] she ever get made fun of? - definitely not; with baby girls [name]Sawyer[/name] and [name]Harper[/name] and Jaydens running around, it will be fine
And if you like it, what’s a cute nickname? - Well, I like the pp suggestion of [name]Penny[/name]
What are other cute names if you don’t like [name]Spencer[/name]? - Personally, the only unisex name I like (equally on both sexes) is [name]Brett[/name]. Some surname names I like on girls, though not necessarily masculine, are [name]Avery[/name], [name]Everly[/name], and [name]McKenna[/name].

My biggest problem with giving girl a a boy’s name, is that I feel like there will be no more good masculine names left for boys. Once a name is used commonly enough on girls, it makes the names seem more feminine.

I like more traditional names, so personally I just don’t like [name]Spencer[/name].
As for being made fun of, I doubt it. I went to three different elementary schools, where students had names like Bharti and [name]Fatima[/name] - and no one ever got made fun of.

There’s only a few “boy” names that I like on girls. Those being [name]Rowan[/name], [name]Emerson[/name] and [name]Blair[/name]. Otherwise, I don’t really like it when I hear a boy name on a girl. I actually really like the name [name]Spencer[/name], and its on my list…my boys list. That being said, its your decision. It’s not like your giving your child a stripper name like [name]Peaches[/name] Glitter.

[name]Will[/name] she get made fun of though…no.

I really like [name]Spencer[/name] [name]Jane[/name] on a girl and I think a good portion of the population will be more used to [name]Spencer[/name] on girls because of Pretty [name]Little[/name] Liars on ABC Family.

I only just encountered [name]Spencer[/name] for a girl as I started watching Pretty [name]Little[/name] Liars on Netflix, when my Fiance heard it, he was like “[name]Spencer[/name], a girl?” and made a pretty awful face… I am not a fan of boys names on girls either. I love her Character on the show mind you! She’s my favorite.

[name]Spencer[/name] [name]Jane[/name] is pretty though, if you love it, go for it.

I don’t like boy names on girls but [name]Spencer[/name] could work for a girl even though I don’t like it. At least you aren’t naming her [name]Robert[/name] or [name]William[/name].

My personal beef with boy names on girls, as a mother of 4 boys, is that it is SO hard to find great masculine names when so many of them are being used for girls nowadays. There aren’t going to be any good boy names left! I think it would be different if it worked both ways; if girls names could be used on boys, but that just isn’t the case.

love spencer for a girl! it’s totally acceptable for a girl - i dont understand why ppl on here deem it “masculine”. it’s totally a unisex name for me!

The way I see masculine names are more classic…like [name]William[/name] or [name]Joseph[/name]. [name]Spencer[/name] just seems so…unisex. I don’t see it as manly in any way. Some male names for females just don’t sound right. Also, I want to be unique. My fiance likes overused names like [name]Emily[/name] and [name]Madison[/name]. I see too many of those.

Since the title of the thread is “what do you think about girls with boy names”, I will give you my honest opinion, based on my life experience.

My legal name is [name]Shawn[/name], which especially in the area where I grew up is exclusively a boys’ name. I have not gone by my legal name since I was 15, and when I have the extra money to petition for a name change, I will do so. I got teased in school, all my mail is addressed to “Mr.”, when I show up for a job interview people are shocked that I’m a woman…I was literally sent to the principal on the first day of 7th grade, because I sat in the seat with my name on it, and got in an argument with the teacher who was convinced that I had taken some boy’s seat and was refusing to move and lying about my name. They actually didn’t believe me until they called my parents at work. It’s just so much unnecessary drama.

The desire to change my name is not because I don’t love my parents. We are actually close. (So close in fact, that instead of just switching out [name]Shawn[/name] for Sessha, which would break their hearts, I am adding it in and switching things around so that [name]Shawn[/name] will be my second middle. Which is kind of another mark on the “so much drama” column.) They just weren’t thinking about what it would be like to grow up with a boys’ name.

I can’t speak for whether or not a little [name]Spencer[/name] will be made fun of…there is a girl named [name]Spencer[/name] in the ABC show Pretty [name]Little[/name] Liars (they call her [name]Spence[/name]) and that might pave the way for more acceptance of the name on a girl. I don’t know. But based on my own rather gnarly experiences, I would never give a cross-gender name to a child, and I would encourage you to think about the worst-case scenario for your daughter before you give her a boys’ name.

Best of luck to you!!