What do you think about girls with boy names?

I love [name]Spencer[/name] for a girl! I don’t know what it is but I think it totally works. And if she would want to be more girls with her name, I like pp suggestion on [name]Penny[/name] and [name]Cece[/name]. Super cute nn.

also, I recently had a conversation with my sister about her name (it is very unisex) and she said she doesn’t mind having a unisex name. She is girly but also a tomboy. She has never dealt with negativity regarding her name. I know that is rare, but also hopefully encouraging?

I think it’s terrible. Seriously. It’s not like there’s a lack of nice girl names.

I personally don’t like boys names on girls. However to each their own and I don’t think I girl named [name]Spencer[/name] would really have any problems it’s just nms.

Congratulations on your daughter!

My honest opinion is that I really don’t like masculine or traditionally boy’s names for girls. There are SO many options out there for girls, whatever your style may be.

I think she will have enough to deal with in life - without having to add a gender issue/or wondering if you had actually wanted a boy instead of a girl. No one wants to spend a lifetime explaining why they were given “a boy name” or “a quirky spelling” or whatever “unique” decision you may choose to do.

In the end, it is your child and of course your decision. [name]Just[/name] my two cents:) Good luck with your decision.

PS. [name]Jane[/name] is cute though!!

I hate it - seriously just straight up hate it. I think it’s beyond tacky and [name]Spencer[/name] is a super handsome name for a boy - on a girl, it just looks hideous. [name]Jane[/name] is stunning, use that.

Exactly, there are literally thousands of beautiful girls names out there. [name]Every[/name] time I see stuff like this I literally just roll my eyes, I am so over it.

Not trying to be rude, but I think boys names on girls are tacky. Not to mention that a girl named [name]Spencer[/name] would automatically be the victim of everlasting ridicule. Kids are mean! That name is way too masculine. Unless you give her a girly nickname to use all the time like [name]Cece[/name] or [name]Penny[/name].
If you really like boys names for girls, I think you should give your daughter a girly name and then shorten it to a more male-friendly one. Here’s what I mean:
[name]Justina[/name] ([name]Justin[/name])
[name]Maxine[/name] ([name]Max[/name])
[name]Danielle[/name]/[name]Daniella[/name] ([name]Danni[/name]/[name]Danny[/name])
[name]Henrietta[/name] ([name]Henry[/name])
Or you could just give her an actual girls name without shortening it or anything like that. I mean, there’s tons of wonderful girls names out there, so why give her a boys one? Seriously, you may just give her a complex…

I agree completely. It’s not even unique any more - I can kiiinda understand people doing it a few years back because it’s so OMGDIFFERENT but now it’s just so overdone & lame.

I think, if there’s a very good reason you wish to gender-bend, it can be OK. If your mother’s maiden name was [name]Spencer[/name], for example, your daughter [name]Spencer[/name] would have a go-to line to stave off teasing; and your name choice wouldn’t be seen as unusual, but logical.

I also think some people gender-bend because they find it provocative, and maybe it was 40 years ago, but the modern world won’t find [name]Spencer[/name] daring and outre on a girl.

Thirdly, a lot of this gender-bending is really only skin deep. If you want to name her [name]Spencer[/name] but call her [name]Penny[/name] or [name]Ceri[/name] or something, it’s clear that you have pretty traditional notions of gender and at the end of the day want a daughter to more or less be a typical, female little girl.

Lastly, if you think this will bestow some kind of career advantage, it will not. I work in a heavily male-dominated field (general surgery is 35% female when it comes to trainees, <15% female overall, and my chosen subspecialty-- heart transplants-- is less than 5% female). Women in surgery have difficulties because they do things like get pregnant, not because they’re called Jessica or Anne. In fact, I almost feel a woman surgeon named Douglas would set things back for us a few decades, by again reinforcing the notion that one has to be masculine, have a Y chromosome, etc in order to be taken seriously.

Spencer, in particular, was a surname before it was a given name. Back when it was a straight-up surname, it was relatively genderless; now, though, there are a couple of centuries of weight behind it being a male name, which isn’t really worth contravening for a reason as weak as “I like the sound of it.”

I really don’t like this trend! I much prefer when I hear a name that the person attached to it happens to be the original gender for the name. (You see [name]Sarah[/name] on paper and a female comes out, not a male. You see [name]Spencer[/name] on paper and a male comes out.) And [name]Spencer[/name] is ALL male to me. Also, if you decide to have more children and another happens to be a girl you’re bound to have to use another unisex (unisex, not male name on a girl, there is a difference to me). Since you like this trend it might not be a big deal. But if you had [name]Spencer[/name] [name]Jane[/name] first, then had [name]Julianna[/name] [name]Marie[/name] most people would assume you had a boy and a girl. This could get very annoying for [name]Spencer[/name] to constantly have to say “Nope. My name is [name]Spencer[/name]. Yes it is a boys name.”. I have a friend who wants kids and has 2 super masculine names picked out for girls.

I know a few families that have more than one child and naming gets hard when this starts:
[name]Jack[/name], [name]Tobin[/name] nn [name]Toby[/name], [name]Milo[/name] and [name]Carson[/name] [name]Jane[/name] ([name]Carson[/name] being the girl, obviously). She will go through her whole life with people assuming SHE is a HE.
[name]Ezra[/name] Grae and [name]Ember[/name] [name]Ane[/name] (2 girls, they had a REALLY hard time finding a name for #2 because girl #1 has an all boy name!)
[name]Spencer[/name] [name]Lynn[/name] (yes, female), mom is named [name]Tylar[/name], pronounced ty-lar (like the beginning of larva or [name]Lara[/name] [name]Bar[/name])
[name]Krystofer[/name] [name]Alicia[/name] nn Krysti (girl, obviously), [name]Sarah[/name] [name]Louise[/name], [name]James[/name] [name]Donovan[/name] and [name]Draven[/name] [name]Scott[/name] (I’m [name]Sarah[/name] and Krysti is my sister, and she has always hated having a boy name and very few people that she’s met the last several years even know her full fn is [name]Krystofer[/name] because she hates it so much. Especially the calls and letters addressed to MR. [name]Krystofer[/name] —!)

All that to say, I HATE this trend (you wanted honesty!), but everyone likes different names and you should pick one you love. And she will have [name]Jane[/name] to fall back on in case she decided she didn’t like [name]Spencer[/name]…

There are days I’ll be looking for a name on this site for my child and I’ll hope to God I don’t have to read one of your posts. We all get it - you hate boys names on girls and you lack the ability to express this opinion like a mature adult with manners and couth. Please, take a break for a day.

To the original poster - I love [name]Spencer[/name] [name]Jane[/name]. I think the fact that [name]Spence[/name] is the only nickname is a positive. Nice combo! Go for it!

Most of the time, I would say go for it. I like some boys names for girls but to be honest, I think this is a little much. I’m sorry but I do think she might get made fun of.

And? You are on a public forum and I can express my feelings however I like, if you don’t agree with it then don’t read it and move on. I have strong opinions and I express them - I express good opinions just as heavily, that’s just who I am, I am not going to change how I speak and how I express myself to please other people. When you come on the internet, you come across people with all kinds of opinions and personalities. I don’t sugar coat myself and I don’t expect other people to sugar coat for me, either, I don’t think it serves any purpose, especially when it comes to something as serious and long term as a name.

Also, I fail to see why you pick ME out specifically when other have expressed almost the exact same opinion in almost the exact same way - don’t get your panties in a twist over the opinion of a stranger on the internet, take it for what it is. I am also failing to see how I am not expressing myself as an adult? I hate something so I said I hated it and I went on to explain why I feel this way. Are you trying to say that negativity is childish? Because that’s just uptight and ridiculous.

I [name]LOVE[/name] [name]Spencer[/name] [name]Jane[/name].

[name]One[/name] of my favorites is [name]Eliza[/name] [name]James[/name] :slight_smile:

Thank y’all for your honest opinions!

I guess that with my generation (90’s kid) I’ve never really met a boy named [name]Spencer[/name], just girls. I’ve never really thought of it to be masculine. I have a hard time with girly names because I’m not a girly name fan (especially after my father and stepmother named their daughters [name]Isabella[/name] & [name]Arabella[/name]. Wth), and I feel that most girl’s names are overused. But I appreciate y’all for helping me! :slight_smile:

I don’t like the sound of [name]Spencer[/name] on a boy or a girl, but I agree with you that it does not sound overly masculine to me. I do not usually care for unisex names, but I think if you like it, that’s all that really matters. I certainly don’t see why a girl named [name]Spencer[/name] would be picked on, and she would have the nice, classic, feminine [name]Jane[/name] to fall back on, should she decide later in life she doesn’t much care for being a [name]Spencer[/name].

I hated my name because it was a boy’s name and always got teased about it when I was a kid. Consequently, both my children have names that are traditional. However, if the name is a surname that’s a family name, there’s a strong tradition in both [name]New[/name] [name]England[/name] where I grew up and here in the South where I currently live of naming girls with family names. A singer down here I recently met is named Sewell. I think that makes more sense than just some random boy’s name, although I like the idea of it being [name]Spenser[/name] for [name]Edmund[/name] [name]Spenser[/name], that’s cool. But I really hate it when people name their daughters [name]James[/name] and [name]Michael[/name], which are boys’ names, saints’ names, and there are female versions of these names readily available.

People on here canbe sooo rude. They say ewww I don’t like unisex names and then you see they named their kid [name]Bella[/name], [name]Emma[/name], [name]Sophia[/name], [name]Addison[/name], and [name]Madison[/name]. They say your poor kid has enuf to deal with then the possibility of being teased. Umm wake up people when you name your kid some overused CoMMOn name then they have 5 classmates with the same name- so lets talk about their kids having enough to deal with without the stigma of “just another [name]Sophia[/name]”. Or my mom didnt love me enough to actually spend time thinking of a name that fits me and not every other child in the world…etc etc etc. or how bout girls with these fru fru girly names- should we talk about how they’re never taken seriously because their name sounds like a Disney character or Disney character knockoff? Or how bout kids with these outdated names that are hideous and they are sure to get made fun of?
So as I’ve pointed out- no matter what name you give your child, he/she could get made fun of for it. And it’s not the names fault. It’s not the parents fault. It’s because people are just mean. And when you read some of the mean things people post you can see where these Children get their teasing from!
Now after venting at reading overly rude comments if like to state that [name]Spencer[/name] is a great name for girl or boy! All names were made up at some point. Each name was created by someone and then given to a boy or girl and from that we have a gender chosen name…
I say start the trend with [name]Spencer[/name]! In 10 years everyone will be doing it!

[name]Spencer[/name] has always been a boys name to me until I encountered a female character named [name]Spencer[/name] in Pretty [name]Little[/name] Liars. I think it could actually work for both boys and girls. I prefer it on a boy but I think it could still be acceptable for a girl. I think [name]Spencer[/name] [name]Jane[/name] is a balanced name.