What do you think about nickname Bill for William?

I like the name [name]William[/name]. And I like the nickname [name]Bill[/name] out of all the nn possibilities mainly because it is easiest to say and sounds best with my last name. Does it sound too outdated or grandpa-ish?

[name]Both[/name] positive and negative comments welcome. Thank you.

Well, it certainly isn’t the most youthful of the bunch. It’s funny, because I usually like the older micknames-[name]Andy[/name] instead of [name]Drew[/name], [name]Bobby[/name] instead of [name]Rob[/name], but this is a tough one for me. I wouldn’t consider [name]William[/name] b/c [name]Will[/name] is so popular, so [name]Bill[/name] solves that problem. I just…don’t know. I can’t picture it on a little boy-or a teenager either (and this is from a person who likes [name]Roger[/name]!)
I’m on the fence.

Well my dad is a [name]Bill[/name] (and so was my grandpa), so I’m biased! I like the fact that nobody calls their babies [name]Bill[/name] these days, I think that would make it sound fresh. It’s different than using a dated name, [name]William[/name] is classic so it will never be dated. I would be so excited if I met a baby named [name]Billy[/name]! Honestly, I’m pretty bored of [name]Will[/name], and I just don’t get [name]Wills[/name]. Yours would very likely never meet another [name]Bill[/name] his age. Oh, and it has suited my dad well his whole life (he’s 53), so I think it works for any age! I also used to work with one who was about 25, and it was perfectly normal! Oh, and my [name]BIL[/name]'s name is [name]Bill[/name]! Geeze, I know a lot of Bills. Basically, I like it!

I don’t think it sounds too granpa-ish or outdated, but I don’t like it. I think it’s just sort of blah, leaning toward fuddy. I think at one time, [name]Bill[/name] probably sounded like an every-guy like [name]Joe[/name], and I think it still sounds that way on an older person. On a young boy now, though, I think it sounds dweeby somehow, if that makes sense. I also don’t like how easily it morphs into [name]Billy[/name].

[name]How[/name] about [name]Phil[/name], as a nickname for [name]Philip[/name]? Now that to me is elegant, yet friendly - a great name.

Of the Bills I know (my dad, my uncle, my grandpa, my [name]BIL[/name]), none are called [name]Billy[/name] by anyone outside their families. I’m not sure about [name]BIL[/name], but my dad and uncle went by [name]Billy[/name] when they were very young, but it easily transitioned to [name]Bill[/name]. The only people who ever call them [name]Billy[/name] are those who knew them when they were little (my mom is the only one who calls my uncle [name]Billy[/name], likewise my dad’s sister is the only one who calls him [name]Billy[/name]. oh, so do the nieces and nephews). Anyway, it seems that it’s easy to make the transition from [name]Billy[/name] to [name]Bill[/name].

Oh, [name]Phil[/name] is a great suggestion, too! And my personal favorite ill name is [name]Quill[/name]!

There is actually a senior at my school whose name is [name]William[/name], but he goes by [name]Bill[/name]. Quite frankly,
I’ve always found it very strange that he goes by [name]Bill[/name]. At times it seems to fit him, but other times it doesn’t. I don’t think that the name [name]Bill[/name] fits on any boy between the ages of 0 and 35ish.
I’m also not a fan of [name]Billy[/name]. It sounds very juvenile to me.
I also like the name [name]William[/name], but I don’t love any of the nicknames. [name]Liam[/name] is nice.
But you know, a [name]William[/name] can always go by just [name]William[/name]. There’s a kid in my grade that is only called [name]William[/name].

It would sound like you had given birth to a middle aged man. I really like [name]William[/name], but I think [name]Bill[/name]'s time has come and gone.