What do you think? - Girl list

I have been thinking a lot about these names. What do you think? Likes? Dislikes?

Avelaine ([name]How[/name] would you pronounce this?)
[name]Rosemarie[/name]
Madelaina
[name]Florence[/name]
[name]Carolina[/name] ([name]Lina[/name]=“lee-nuh”)
[name]Marlaina[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]
[name]Eugenia[/name]
[name]Philippa[/name]
[name]Araminta[/name]

Thanks.

Avelaine ([name]How[/name] would you pronounce this?) - av-uh-len? It’s pretty. I haven’t heard it before.
[name]Rosemarie[/name] - I think of this as a middle name.
Madelaina - I hadn’t heard of this version before, but I like it. It has a nice ring to it.
[name]Florence[/name] - I like the full name, but I wouldn’t like [name]Flo[/name] as a nn.
[name]Carolina[/name] ([name]Lina[/name]=“lee-nuh”) - [name]Love[/name] this name with this pronunciation! This was on our short list with [name]Lena[/name] as a nn.
[name]Marlaina[/name] - I just hear the Wallflowers song Three Marlainas when I see this.
[name]Beatrice[/name] - I like this one! [name]Bea[/name] and [name]Bebe[/name] are such cute nns.
[name]Eugenia[/name] - I’m sorry, but I don’t like this.
[name]Philippa[/name] - It’s ok. [name]Just[/name] not really my style.
[name]Araminta[/name] - I had to look this one up because I hadn’t heard of it before. It’s just not really my style.

Avelaine - sounds a little made up to me, but does have a pretty sound. [name]How[/name] about [name]Adeline[/name] or [name]Aveline[/name]?
[name]Rosemarie[/name] - not my style
Madelaina - has a pretty ring to it
[name]Florence[/name] - not my style
[name]Carolina[/name] ([name]Lina[/name]=“lee-nuh”) - Beautiful, I love it!!
[name]Marlaina[/name] - love the sound of this name, but the spelling isn’t my favorite. I prefer [name]Marlena[/name], and believe it can benprobnounced the same way.
[name]Beatrice[/name] - kind of pretty
[name]Eugenia[/name] - don’t really care for it
[name]Philippa[/name] - not my style, but it is kinda cute and spunky
[name]Araminta[/name] - not my favorite

My favorite from your list is [name]Carolina[/name] - so pretty that I might have to add it to my own list! :slight_smile:

Avelaine ([name]How[/name] would you pronounce this?)-Avva [name]Laine[/name]-no I think it sounds made up too
[name]Rosemarie[/name]-sounds pretty old to me

Madelaina-its ok
[name]Florence[/name]-aunt [name]FLO[/name]-no thank you
[name]Carolina[/name] ([name]Lina[/name]=“lee-nuh”)-eh
[name]Marlaina[/name]-hate this
[name]Beatrice[/name]-I love [name]Bea[/name]
[name]Eugenia[/name]-kind of hate this too
[name]Philippa[/name]-I like [name]Pippa[/name]
[name]Araminta[/name]-[name]Minty[/name]…not my style at all

Avelaine ([name]How[/name] would you pronounce this?) I would say it Av-uh-layn. I prefer [name]Aveline[/name].
[name]Rosemarie[/name] - I kind of like this.
Madelaina it’s nice
[name]Florence[/name] - not a big fan of it.
[name]Carolina[/name] ([name]Lina[/name]=“lee-nuh”) nice.
[name]Marlaina[/name] okay
[name]Beatrice[/name] lots of people here love it but I’m not crazy about it.
[name]Eugenia[/name] I don’t love any names that begin with eu.
[name]Philippa[/name] - cute
[name]Araminta[/name] - It sounds like but I don’t think I would actually use it. I think she’d get called [name]Minty[/name].

Avelaine ([name]How[/name] would you pronounce this?) - I’d say “Av-uh-lane-uh”. Eh. [name]Don[/name]'t like it as much as [name]Aveline[/name].
[name]Rosemarie[/name] - NMS.
Madelaina - Too many vowels. Looks weird. Prefer [name]Magdalena[/name].
[name]Florence[/name] - A little too old-fashioned for me.
[name]Carolina[/name] ([name]Lina[/name]=“lee-nuh”) - [name]Love[/name] it.
[name]Marlaina[/name] - NMS, and really dislike the spelling. Would prefer [name]Marlena[/name].
[name]Beatrice[/name] - NMS.
[name]Eugenia[/name] - Really like this one. Prefer [name]Eugenie[/name].
[name]Philippa[/name] - [name]Love[/name] it.
[name]Araminta[/name] - Never heard it before. Not really a fan.

Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Avelaine (How would you pronounce this?) -“Av-uh-lane” (making a soft A sound as in cat for the first A and a long A for the second A) okay, but sounds forced when I say it.
Rosemarie - I like this more as Rose Marie, a double barrel name. I will say I knew a Rose Marie and she was very old and very sweet.
Madelaina - Prefer Madeline
Florence - Like it fine, but lately have been loving Flora as an alternative.
Carolina (Lina=“lee-nuh”) - I would automatically say Li-nah and I like Carolina (pn’d the li-nah way) a lot.
Marlaina - It reminds me of a character on Days of Our Lives :slight_smile:
Beatrice - I like it in theory, and especially Beatrix, but couldn’t use it in real life.
Eugenia - NMS at all. Only heard it since The Help.
Philippa - I actually like this very much.
Araminta - It’s fine, but the “mint” stands out a lot to me.

Avelaine ([name]How[/name] would you pronounce this?) - I would pronounce this Aav-uh-layn - I think it’s okay.
[name]Rosemarie[/name] - Cute and vintage; lots of nn possibilities
Madelaina - Cute, also lots of nn possibilities
[name]Florence[/name] - this is my favorite of the bunch.
[name]Carolina[/name] ([name]Lina[/name]=“lee-nuh”) - I think you’d always have pronunciation issues with this one, but it is a nice name.
[name]Marlaina[/name] - I like this name, like it better spelled [name]Marlena[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name] - it’s a popular name, but for some reason I don’t love it, but if you do, you should use it.
[name]Eugenia[/name] - I don’t like this one at all. Reminds me of [name]Eugene[/name], who I imagine a total geek with big glasses.
[name]Philippa[/name] - Not a fan, but it is popular here, especially with people who want [name]Pippa[/name].
[name]Araminta[/name] - Also not my style, but nothing wrong with the name.

[name]Avelaine[/name] ([name]How[/name] would you pronounce this?)- ah-veh-layn? It sounds pretty and girly. [name]Love[/name] it!
[name]Rosemarie[/name]- I love this name too, but it does have that ‘old lady’ vibe to it.
[name]Madelaina[/name]- [name]Love[/name] it!
[name]Florence[/name]- Again, I wish it wasn’t dated but it is.
[name]Carolina[/name] ([name]Lina[/name]=“lee-nuh”)- Lovelovelovelove. Keep in mind that you’ll be forever correcting people on the pronunciation, though.
[name]Marlaina[/name]- Is this mar-lay-na? It’s gorgeous, adorable, sweet. [name]Love[/name] it.
[name]Beatrice[/name]- I like [name]Bea[/name] as a nickname, but I think [name]Beatrice[/name] sounds like a grandma name.
[name]Eugenia[/name]- I like [name]Eugene[/name] better, personally, but it’s still a lovely name.
[name]Philippa[/name]- Not crazy about this one, but it has an upbeat, energetic charm to it.
[name]Araminta[/name]- [name]Minty[/name]? Not a fan of this one either.

I love how gorgeous your names are, and that you’re not too shy to make up your own :slight_smile:

Avelaine–I would guess “[name]Ave[/name]-eh-lane.” It sounds made-up to me, so I don’t really like it.
[name]Rosemarie[/name]–It’s ok. I like [name]Rosemary[/name] or [name]Rose[/name] [name]Marie[/name] better.
Madelaina–Kind of neutral about this one.
[name]Florence[/name]–I like [name]Florence[/name]; it’s sweet and sassy.
[name]Carolina[/name] ([name]Lina[/name]=“lee-nuh”)–Prefer [name]Caroline[/name].
[name]Marlaina[/name]–Sounds a bit dated to me, but not bad.
[name]Beatrice[/name]–[name]Love[/name] it!
[name]Eugenia[/name]–This is one of those names that (to me) is so dorky it’s cute!
[name]Philippa[/name]–I like it a lot.
[name]Araminta[/name]–[name]Don[/name]'t like it. Sounds like a super-princessy girl to me.

some are so pretty! i wish i was your daughter!

Avelaine ([name]How[/name] would you pronounce this?) Av-a-lane. Sounds a bit made up to me, but then so does [name]Aveline[/name], and saying them aloud I prefer Avelaine.
[name]Rosemarie[/name] - ok, would be better as [name]Rose[/name] [name]Marie[/name] or [name]Rosemary[/name] though. Nn [name]Rosie[/name] is cute.
Madelaina - Prefer [name]Madeleine[/name], but I can see why you’re looking for a new variant as it and the like [name]Madeline[/name]/lyn are pretty popular.
[name]Florence[/name] - meh
[name]Carolina[/name] ([name]Lina[/name]=“lee-nuh”) - nms
[name]Marlaina[/name] - looks made up to me
[name]Beatrice[/name] - don’t like
[name]Eugenia[/name] - I know a [name]Eugenia[/name] and she’s fun and bubbly which has rejuvenated this name for me. Ironically she hates it and goes by Moosy but I quite like it.
[name]Philippa[/name] - nice
[name]Araminta[/name] - nms, sounds too overly frilly

Thanks for the comments so far. I love reading them.

I just wanted to give a little background on the some of the names.

Avelaine - I was concerned that this sounds made up but I actually think it is a French name. I’m not sure how much it is actually used in [name]France[/name].

Anything with -laine in it would honor my late [name]Nana[/name], [name]Elaine[/name]. I’ve been trying to find the perfect name to honor her so suggestions are welcome.

I love these:

Avelaine-I’d say [name]AH[/name]-veh-[name]LANE[/name]
[name]Eugenia[/name]
[name]Philippa[/name]
[name]Araminta[/name]

Avelaine- I would say [name]Ava[/name]-lane with a soft A…this isn’t my style though. Very feminine/dramatic almost reminds me of a soap opera character
[name]Rosemarie[/name]- I prefer [name]Rosemary[/name], but [name]Rosemarie[/name] is pretty
Madelaina- I prefer [name]Madeline[/name], this also has that really princessy vibe
[name]Florence[/name]- This is sweet. I also like [name]Flora[/name] a lot.
[name]Carolina[/name]- This is pretty
[name]Marlaina[/name]- I prefer [name]Marlena[/name]. I love this name though with nn [name]Marla[/name]
[name]Beatrice[/name]- I [name]LOVE[/name] this name, it’s one of my favorites. It’s sweet but strong.
[name]Eugenia[/name]- I really like this one and I think it’s really bold. [name]Eugenie[/name] or [name]Genie[/name] are cute nns
[name]Philippa[/name]- This is ok. I really like [name]Pippa[/name], even though I’m sure it will become very popular. I prefer [name]Philomena[/name] as a was to get to [name]Pippa[/name]
[name]Araminta[/name]- This also is in that over-the-top girly category to me, but it’s much better than [name]Arabella[/name] and I think [name]Minty[/name] is a cute nn. This name is very British to me ( a lot on your list has that vibe). I like it better than Avalaine and Madelaina because it feels more classic and less confusing to me when it comes to pronunciation.

Faves: [name]Beatrice[/name], [name]Eugenia[/name] & [name]Florence[/name]

I really only love [name]Beatrice[/name] and [name]Madalaina[/name]. And [name]Phillipa[/name] with the nn of [name]Pippa[/name] or [name]Pip[/name](I’d never actually call her [name]Phillipa[/name])

[name]Florence[/name] is cute but not keen on [name]Flo[/name] as a nn. [name]Rosemarie[/name] is okay, but I prefer different versions of [name]Rose[/name]. I like [name]Lina[/name] without remotely liking [name]Carolina[/name].

I only dislike Avelaine and [name]Araminta[/name] outright.

Avelaine ([name]How[/name] would you pronounce this?)- av-uh-laine. Like [name]Aveline[/name] and [name]Elaine[/name] had a baby. I think it is a real name. [name]Just[/name] hearing it, though, it sounds like a creative name-smush. [name]Even[/name] if it is, I think it works better than many others I’ve heard. It doesn’t look very nice written though.
[name]Rosemarie[/name]- very pretty. I love both [name]Rose[/name] and [name]Marie[/name].
Madelaina- not a fan. Like Avelaine, it just doesn’t look good written
[name]Florence[/name]- I don’t like [name]Flo[/name] but I like [name]Flora[/name]. It’s nice.
[name]Carolina[/name] ([name]Lina[/name]=“lee-nuh”)- I think most will pronounce it line-uh and need to be corrected, but it’s still a nice, pretty name.
[name]Marlaina[/name]- I feel bad shooting down all your “laine” names, but I really don’t like the way they look. :frowning: Could you use [name]Elaine[/name] as a middle?
[name]Beatrice[/name]- love this
[name]Eugenia[/name]- I have a mild crush on [name]Eugene[/name] at the moment, so I rather like [name]Eugenia[/name] as well!
[name]Philippa[/name]- nice
[name]Araminta[/name]- I feel like I should like this more as it fits my style really well, but it’s not my favorite. [name]Minty[/name] is a spunky nickname though, and [name]Ari[/name] gives her a more popular option. I used it for the heroine of a fantasy short story I wrote and it worked great there, but I’m not sure about real life.

Avelaine ([name]How[/name] would you pronounce this?) - I’d say av-uh-lane. [name]Don[/name]'t really like it.
[name]Rosemarie[/name] - It’s ok.
Madelaina - Strongly prefer [name]Madeline[/name] over this.
[name]Florence[/name] - Meh.
[name]Carolina[/name] ([name]Lina[/name]=“lee-nuh”) - This will get pronounced wrong 99% of the time, especially in the US with [name]North[/name] and South [name]Carolina[/name]. I prefer [name]Caroline[/name] anyways.
[name]Marlaina[/name] - Not a fan.
[name]Beatrice[/name] - NMS.
[name]Eugenia[/name] - [name]Don[/name]'t like at all.
[name]Philippa[/name] - [name]Don[/name]'t see the appeal, sorry.
[name]Araminta[/name] - The “mint” is weird to me.

I think [name]Carolina[/name] is beautiful and definitely stands out to me the most!

Avelaine - love this! My best friend has a daughter with this name. I have always said it [name]AH[/name]-veh-lane, and I believe that’s how they always say it, too (she lives in [name]France[/name], and I live in [name]America[/name], so we mostly have talked through email!). They use the nn [name]Lainey[/name], or Miette.
[name]Rosemarie[/name] - I like it okay, but prefer [name]Rosemary[/name].
Madelaina - I love all the Mad- names! I like Madelaina a lot, but I also love [name]Madelaine[/name] and [name]Madeleine[/name]… I’m most likely to use [name]Madeleine[/name], personally.
[name]Florence[/name] - too stuffy for me, sorry. I love [name]Flora[/name], and [name]Wren[/name], and [name]Fleur[/name], but [name]Florence[/name] just seems way too heavy to me and I can’t see its appeal.
[name]Carolina[/name] - love! It’s so airy and dramatic and a bit exotic while still being classy. I like it a lot. I prefer [name]Cara[/name] to [name]Lina[/name], but both are nice.
[name]Marlaina[/name] - pretty, but I like the [name]Marlena[/name] spelling more.
[name]Beatrice[/name] - I’ve grown to see its appeal, but I still prefer [name]Beatrix[/name].
[name]Eugenia[/name] - I like it a lot, but I like the French [name]Eugenie[/name] even more.
[name]Philippa[/name] - I don’t love this, but I absolutely love the nn [name]Pippa[/name]!
[name]Araminta[/name] - I like it a lot in a super-GPish way. I think [name]Ari[/name] and [name]Minnie[/name] are cute nns.

Avelaine, Madelaina, [name]Carolina[/name], and [name]Araminta[/name] are my favorites.

Good luck!