What do you think of Finley?

I really love [name_u]Finley[/name_u] but I’m really worried its
Turning feminine:/ do you think its still usable
For a boy? I’m in Australia where its mainly for
A boy but I see it popular for girls in the states.

I definitely think it’s turning into a unisex name these days but my initial reaction when seeing it would be that it’s a boy name.

I’m in the US and I think of it as a unisex name. I probably think of it more as a boy’s name if anything.

I think [name_u]Finley[/name_u] is a great name! But if you’re worried about a boy named [name_u]Finley[/name_u] being mistaken for a girl, how about just [name_u]Finn[/name_u]? Or maybe [name_m]Archer[/name_m], [name_u]Owen[/name_u], or [name_m]Bennett[/name_m]? They have similar styles but are still firmly in the “boys’ camp”. Although personally, when I see [name_u]Finley[/name_u] I automatically think “boy”.

[name_m]Even[/name_m] though [name_u]Finley[/name_u] is more popular for a girl in the united states than a boy, I see it as a boy name. There’s a lot of different [name_u]Finn[/name_u] names that you can use instead if it’s a problem for you.

I very cool, cute, modern name! I hear it far more often on boys. Which is to say, I’ve heard of 3 boys and [name_u]Angie[/name_u] [name_m]Harmon[/name_m]'s daughter.

[name_u]Love[/name_u] it! I don’t think you have anything to worry about.

I’m in the US, and I would assume a [name_u]Finlay[/name_u] to be a boy. I wouldn’t worry about it!

[name_u]Finley[/name_u] is definitely a unisex name, in the same way that [name_u]Morgan[/name_u], [name_u]Emerson[/name_u], [name_u]Taylor[/name_u] and [name_u]Riley[/name_u] are imo. I think it’s fine!

I love [name_u]Finley[/name_u] for a boy! Honestly, I’m an American and it blows my mind to think of [name_u]Finley[/name_u] as a name for a girl. I can’t even envision it. [name_u]Finley[/name_u] is so handsome and strong, to me, that I can’t fathom what it’d be like to be a girl [name_u]Finley[/name_u]. It’s obviously done, though, so I could just be crazy. :slight_smile:

Plus, the unisex naming trend seems to be [name_m]WAY[/name_m] stronger here in the US. It seems like half the “unisex” names here never took off in the UK, and while it seems like some might have in Australia, nowhere near as many as here, where it feels like a pandemic to me. haha. Names like [name_u]Rory[/name_u], [name_u]Avery[/name_u], [name_u]Bailey[/name_u], [name_u]Addison[/name_u], [name_u]Harper[/name_u], [name_u]Hadley[/name_u], [name_u]Bryn[/name_u], maybe even [name_u]Aubrey[/name_u]–they all seem super masculine (at least to the British friends I have who have spoken to me about it), so I wouldn’t be too worried about [name_u]Finley[/name_u]. If you’re concerned, you can pair it with a traditionally masculine name (like [name_u]Finley[/name_u] [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] or [name_u]Finley[/name_u] [name_m]Benjamin[/name_m]?) and if it truly becomes an issue (I doubt it will), he could go by [name_m]Oscar[/name_m] or [name_m]Ben[/name_m]. But [name_u]Finley[/name_u] is great, and I would really have no concerns about it at all. I would name a future son [name_u]Finley[/name_u] if given the chance, and I think [name_u]Finley[/name_u] is currently more popular for girls here than boys.

While it seems to have become a unisex name in the US, I think it is a masculine, handsome & very sweet boy name. I named my amazing and loving BOY cat [name_u]Finley[/name_u] 15 years ago before it was at all popular. I think it’s a great boy name. Recently, I’ve met one little girl and two boys named [name_u]Finley[/name_u]. I love [name_u]Finley[/name_u] for a boy (and man)!

I’m also Australian I’ve never met a [name_u]Finley[/name_u] only a [name_u]Finlay[/name_u] (said fin-lay) and a female [name_m]Findlay[/name_m] (not sure how her name was said it was written down but she only got called Finny). I would definitely assume a [name_u]Finley[/name_u] was a boy in Australia it’s almost exclusively male (last year in SA it was given to 7 boys and 2 girls, in 2012 in [name_f]Victoria[/name_f] it was given to 23 boys and less then 3 girls). Since [name_u]Bailey[/name_u] and [name_u]Darcy[/name_u] are still mostly male here despite being mostly female in the rest of the world, I think [name_u]Finley[/name_u] would do the same

I’m very ‘meh’ on the name. It feels like someone wanted to use the incredibly popular Finn but not be one in a million, so this is a the uncreative twist they landed on. The only Finley I know is a little girl so I see it as more feminine, but can definitely see it as masculine as well; just not my style. Good luck!

I like it and don’t think of it as feminine. In fact, to me it’s completely masculine. Prefer [name_m]Findlay[/name_m], though.

I love [name_u]Finley[/name_u], and I’m always surprised to hear it on a girl.

When I think of [name_u]Finley[/name_u] I think of a boy, especially with the nn [name_m]Fin[/name_m]. I’d say go for it!

I consider it a boy only name, although many names I feel that way about are supposedly going to the girls.

I automatically think “boy” when I hear [name_u]Finley[/name_u]. Being in the states, I can’t think of a time where I’ve ever even met a girl [name_u]Finley[/name_u].