What do you think of hyphenated names?

[name_m]Hi[/name_m] all

I am just curious on what you think of hyphenated names in general? Are hyphenated names easy to live with? Does the hyphen create problems for people when filling in forms on a computer? Can you think of any problems that may arise with having a hyphenated first name?

So what do you all think?

Thanks in advance.

It really depends on the individual name. I think a lot of hyphenated names tend to sound very sweet or they don’t flow well, and typically I would make the suggestion that you just make the second part of the name a middle. The concept of hyphenated names, although I’m not a huge fan, is fine. I suppose the name might be difficult to live with, especially when filling out forms, but not much more so than any unique name/one that may be difficult to spell intuitively. Probably in many areas they wouldn’t be called by the full hyphenated name. Since many kids are called by nicknames, it doesn’t seem like a problem.

I like them for the most part. I knew a lot of girls with double barreled first names growing up in the South. I don’t think anyone had any issue with it and by the time high school rolled around a good portion of them dropped the second half of their name and just went by the first, i.e. [name_f]Anna[/name_f]-[name_f]Paige[/name_f] went by [name_f]Anna[/name_f], [name_f]Ellie[/name_f]-[name_f]Mae[/name_f] went by [name_f]Ellie[/name_f], etc. If the hyphen causes problems on a computer form, I’d assume they’d just type “MaryKate” or something.

I like the idea of them, but am quite picky in the execution. I’ve liked these in the past:

[name_f]Ella[/name_f] [name_f]Kate[/name_f] (generally as a nn for [name_f]Ella[/name_f] [name_f]Catherine[/name_f]/[name_f]Ella[/name_f] [name_f]Katherine[/name_f])
[name_f]Emmy[/name_f] Roo (as a nn for [name_f]Emmeline[/name_f] [name_u]Ruby[/name_u])
[name_f]Anna[/name_f]-[name_f]Sofia[/name_f] (also [name_f]Ana[/name_f]-[name_f]Sofia[/name_f], [name_f]Ana[/name_f] [name_f]Sofia[/name_f], and [name_f]Anna[/name_f] [name_f]Sophia[/name_f], all at differing points)
[name_f]Anne[/name_f]-[name_f]Sophie[/name_f]
[name_f]Anne[/name_f]-[name_f]Claire[/name_f]
[name_f]Anne[/name_f]-[name_f]Louise[/name_f] (I obviously love double barrels starting with [name_f]Anne[/name_f]!)
[name_f]Lily[/name_f] [name_f]Snow[/name_f] (which I’ve seen posted on here before)
[name_f]Eve[/name_f]-[name_f]Claire[/name_f]

Some just seem rather boring to me, so I like ones that feel fresh, but I try to keep the syllable count down, too, because I worked with a guy who had a son named Mich@el-Kell@n, who they wanted to call that all the time, but nobody “got” it and always called him [name_u]Michael[/name_u] or [name_m]Mikey[/name_m] or whatever. I worked with him when their son was less than a year old, I think, so I’m not sure how that played out, but I felt bad hearing the story then. I get the impression that you’d really have to work to get people to use a double barrel, but maybe not? I knew (or knew of) people named [name_f]Sarah[/name_f] [name_f]Jane[/name_f] and [name_m]John[/name_m] [name_u]Micah[/name_u], and neither seemed to have issues going by them, so maybe it’s all in how you handle it. Not sure how it would work with forms and such, but I imagine it wouldn’t be as much of a nightmare as I’ve heard two middles (which, honestly, I don’t see the big deal–if they only allow one middle, just pick one?!) and accents are in some countries.

Good luck!