What do you think of Ira?

[name]Ira[/name] [name]Hayes[/name] was an Native American who raised the flag in the famous Photo. He died without any honors. We can’y use [name]Hayes[/name] because of our last name starts like it.

When I think of [name]Ira[/name], I think of the talented musical lyricist [name]Ira[/name] [name]Gershwin[/name] who wrote some memorable songs with his brother [name]George[/name]. There were three men in the Bible with this name so it has a long legacy behind it. I like the meaning “observant/watchful”. I think it has a vintage feel to it with an added spunkiness often demonstrated by male names ending in “a” ([name]Asa[/name] and [name]Luca[/name] are two other names I can think of). [name]One[/name] issue to consider: I wouldn’t be surprised if we begin to see parents choose [name]Ira[/name] for their girls.

I know a little boy named [name]Ira[/name]. At first i wasn’t in love with it, but after saying it all day long, i found that its one of the most usable names of all his peers. Go for it! It’s great!

I really like [name]Ira[/name], but to me its always sounded like a girls name. I don’t much care for boys names on girls, so I’d never use it as on a girl, but I can’t shake that impression sadly.

I think it’s cute. I hear the [name]Kris[/name] Kristofferson (or [name]Johnny[/name] [name]Cash[/name]) song “Ballad of [name]Ira[/name] [name]Hayes[/name]” in my head when I hear the name, so it has good associations. Tragic story, but using the name would be a lovely way to honor someone who gave so much. In a world of [name]Max[/name] and [name]Sam[/name], why not?

I have always really liked this name, and would love to see more little Iras around!

Its interesting, a lady I worked with was called this. She was nice but quite a gossiper.

It sounds really feminine, and I imagine a boy named [name]Ira[/name] would get teased for having a “girl name” (even though I know it’s masculine).

I love [name]Ira[/name]. [name]Noah[/name] also has an -a ending and is accepted as a boys name.

I am naming a male character, [name]Ira[/name] in a story I’m working on. It sounds so nice and not girl-ish at all.
I think it would be a very unique choice and for some reason it reminds me of soutern names.
Good luck!

[name]Love[/name] this name…but like [name]Noah[/name] and [name]Elliott[/name] and probably [name]Everett[/name] and [name]Asa[/name] it has that feminine sound that just begs parents looking for something ‘different’ to steal it for their girls.

Still has an old man sound to me. If you look back on the Social Security top 1000 list for girls, you will find it there in the early 1900s. - do not know if it is pronounced the same as the male name or not. I don’t think I’d use for either a boy or a girl today.

I like [name]Ira[/name] for someone else. [name]Ezra[/name] is one my absolute favorites, and the two are too similar for me to love them both.

Who gives a flying flip if [name]Ira[/name] ends in a vowel sound? That does not make it a girl’s name. I don’t understand what’s so horrifying about a boy’s name sounding soft and/or feminine.

I think of [name]Ira[/name] Glass first (my big time “nerd crush!”) and [name]Ira[/name] [name]Gershwin[/name] second, therefore, it is a very cool name to me and not feminine to my ear at all.

It’s always sounded feminine to me - same with boys’ names like [name]Ezra[/name], [name]Asa[/name], etc. I also think of “ire”. So not a fan personally.

[name]Ira[/name] is my step-grandpa’s name. I’ve got to tell you, I really dislike it. I always thought my grandfathers’ names ([name]Ross[/name], [name]Russell[/name], & [name]Ira[/name]) were so dated and awful. [name]Even[/name] though that’s changing for [name]Russell[/name] and maybe [name]Ross[/name], [name]Ira[/name] still seems really ugly to me.