What do you think of Lille?

I would like to hear your opinions on the girls name Lille (pronounced [name]Lil[/name]). It is the name of a French town and I have loved it forever, but now that I am expecting in [name]January[/name], I’m just not sure it is substantial enough? Also, does it sound too much like 'lil? thanks

Yes, I think it sounds too much like lil’. With a middle, I think it would sound like a rapper name. I’d go for [name]Lily[/name] or [name]Lillian[/name], nickname Lille.

The name of the French town is basically pronounced “[name]Lee[/name]” (with a gentle little Y sound at the end). A French speaker, upon seeing this name, would probably not say “[name]Lil[/name].” It does look very pretty, though. I’m with [name]Daisy[/name] on its marvelous nickname potential.

At first glance, I mis-read this as [name]Lillie[/name]. Next I would have guessed it was supposed to be pronounced [name]Lilla[/name]. Can you tell I have NO French background whatsoever. I do think that Lille sounds like 'lil and it very well could sound like a rapper name here in the U.S. There are plenty of names that begin with [name]Lil[/name] – [name]Lillian[/name], [name]Lillith[/name], [name]Lily[/name], [name]Lillia[/name], Lillabet, Lillabeth, [name]Lillika[/name], [name]Liliana[/name], etc. Maybe Lille will inspire another name that feels more substantial to you?